Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sinohie

How do i install a new Graphic/Video Card?

I need a step by step guide of how to install a new graphics card successfully because i haven't a clue how to do it :lipssealed:

I was told my VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP graphic card was old/out of date, so i think i need a new one! :pinch:

Edited by Derin

Stop!

According to google, that is an on-board solution, which does not appear to be very good. However, if it's that old, there is a good chance that your CPU and motherboard are too old as well.

Is there a way you could post details about your computer here? It would be helpful to state the following:-

1. How old is the computer?
  2. How much memory does it have?
  3. What processor does it run?
  4. What kind of slots, and how many of each, are there in the computer? (AGP, PCI, ISA, etc. )
  5. What motherboard do you have?

I appreciate that you may not know the answers to all these questions, but anything more you can tell us about your computer would be helpful. :pinch:

Having said that, adding a graphics card is easy. especially as you did not have a 'proper' card to start with. :lipssealed: Make sure, however, that the card you buy will fit into your computer. Have a look at this tutorial about upgrading graphics cards.

All the best!

EP

So u have to buy a new graphics card and not download it?

I'm confused because people keep saying go download and then u say go to the shop and get it, which ones right?

you can download the newest drivers. but a card you have to buy.

the card is the physical thing that thinks about where things are in a 3D world, and how they look.

drivers are what tell the computer how to 'talk' to your graphics card, etc, since each different graphics card can do different things, so there are often new 'words' or commands needed to tell it how to do things.

when there are problems in a driver, or when a new one is better at telling your computer how to do stuff, getting the latest version can help quite a bit. but it only goes so far before you'd need a new card

Edited by ttlanhil

The second part of your question has not been addressed. A low-range GeForce, such as the 440MX (~$30), will give you playable performance, a 5200FX (~$75) will give you better, 6-series (~$120) will be the limits of EL-support. However, if you plan on converting your box into a gaming rig, just get the most expensive GeForce setup you can afford.

(Two 6-series in SLI: ~$240)

Radeons are not recommended for EL, especially on linux. There's a sticky with the ATi driver bug report form. Need I say more?

Edited by freeone3000

What if i can't buy a new Graphics Card because well I'm like 14 and my mum would go psycho at me if tried to buy one and i don't have any money so u see im in a bit of a corner here, should i download a new driver and see if that works or like spend the rest of my days reseting the computer? ;):D

Well, I guess you could try getting new drivers. Do you know how old the computer is? If it's older then like 6 years, I highly doubt, despite what you do, that EL will run. Or much will run for that matter. Otherwise your in a bit of a pinch.

Sorry but the VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP is really to old function as a gaming grphics card. I would make a plea to my mom if I were you (or try to get a new card for my birthday o so)

Well i guess i'll have to find a new game to play,this one has to many problems with it unless someone has a miracle solution cause i've tried everything and i'm not wasting money on a graphics card just to play one game.

Don't give up so easy! You may be able to trade up, or do some work for a neighbor who has a used computer they don't need. The machine you have just won't do it, and if your family can't afford to upgrade, then it's time to get smart! Maybe there's something better on eBay (watch out for scams) or check out the rich side of town on junk day, people throw out great prizes!

You have the best tool to use for fixing your problem, that big gray booger behind your nose. Make it spin fast enough and you'll get what you need! :lipssealed: