Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL's 4th aniversary

Well, the exact date is some sort of superposition of 2 days, 13 and 14 February.

The reason for that is because the server was online at about 12 AM between 13 and 14 February, 2003, after only about 5 months of development. Of course, at that time it wasn't really a game, it was more of a chat where you could walk around and talk to people nearby and in PMs. No channels, no animals moving around, no harvesting, no manufacturing, no fights.. And there was only Isla Prima, without any insides :P

Here are the first changes (you can find them in the changes.txt in your EL folder).

Version: 0.5.7 Pre Alpha

- A bug that prevented the text to display properly (it appeared as an avalanche of lagg)

was fixed.

- A few minor optimizations (should increase the frame rate by 5-10% in places with many

objects, like cities or forests).

- Now you can invoke the console by pressing F1. This was done to solve a problem for those

with non english keyboards.

- Some small changes in the start map, it should look better now.

- A whole new, BIG map. Just walk into a teleporter from the start map.

- Now the client will try to autodectect if the frame rate is too low, and if it is, it will

disable the shadows.

- Now you can look at players, and get their name

- The working icons on the interface change their color when selected, or mouse over.

- The conversation is saved in the file chat_log.txt

- Fixed a bug where the game just quit when it couldn't resolve the host (now it will let

you retry, and will give an error message)

- Fixed two bugs when you reconnected to the server, after being disconencted. That is, if

you were sitting at that time, now you can sit again. Another bug was that the players in

your range were not cleared, and they appeared as 'ghostsly ghosts'.

- For those who didn't read the license, and run the game, will prompt them with an error

message (a very mean/sarcastic one). Hopefully, they will feel offended.

So now the game is 4 years old.. That's pretty cool, I think.

Normally I would have organized some contests, but I totally forgot about this until just now, been busy with the preliminary missile/arrows code. Maybe we'll do something tomorrow, some sort of find the hyperspace bag thingy.

Happy birthday EL :P

Thanks to all the mods, devs and yep even the players that have made this game what it is :P

Cheers!

I started playing about 8 months after this date. And since EL was a giant chatroom with some graphics for like 5 months when I joined the max on was like 12 and it was astonishing when we hit 20. Good ol' days of no beam, transparent figures and the huge wait at beam for weapons and armor to be visible on characters.

Happy B-day EL!!!!!!!! thanks to ent, roja and the rest of the team of devs, and mods for making such a great game.

Wooohhooo, happy b-day EL, this game has seriously changed my life for the past year or so, Ima gona have me own contest :D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EL

and what a great game it turned out to be... :D

thank you guys for all your hard work, and dedication. I love it :D

Edited by tagid

happy birthday el! Drinks for everyone on ME!

Yeah, yeah, i still remember the party in the Happy Spirit Tavern in WSC when we had 100 players online.

Tumaros still owes me a beer, so, when can i get the drink from you? :D

And congratz to EL of course, 4 years now, where will we be in 4 more years? :D

Piper

- For those who didn't read the license, and run the game, will prompt them with an error

What was the message? :D

Happy B-day :D

Happy Birhtday EL, and long live the EL :D

And also is aroung of my first EL birthday, but dont know exactly :D

Gratz to all developers, you made wonderfull game for this time!!!

I remember (almost 2 years ago), I was kinda disappointed that I didn't have to change anything like the license - which, yes, I read first! - promised :D. I liked the license already :D

After being around for about 3.25 years out of the four, I love seeing how much it has grown.

Happy Bday EL!

grats EL!

ive been around probly about 2 outta the 4 years and EL has grown trememdously!

heres to another great 4 years of EL!

~1st