Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freeone3000

Experience and Items

Experience as an item.

What?

Items are made for experience. You don't want the item, so items are sold for less than what they cost, because you just need to get rid of them in order to get more ingredients.

Items are also made for profit. Blue Lupines in portland. Almost no experience is gained. However, large amounts of gold are...

Wouldn't it be a good idea for these items to change hands?

WHY? This sounds stupid, ill-planned, and like Yet Another Generic Suggestion on Mining For Fish

Experience is the knowledge gained as your character works. You're selling this knowledge to someone else because, obviously, experience is worth more than gold to them, and gold is worth more than experience.

Dude, wouldn't this ruin the whole "balence" concept?

Not really. Allow me to explain.

Experience would be traded at fair market value - there may be an NPC there to "aid" in the process of turning your experience into an item, but there should be no NPC actually buying or selling experience. This means that you must compete with other players (and a potentially hostile market) in order to buy and sell your exp. Experience would also be catagorized by skill, with overall experience not purchasable - for pickpoint reasons.

Bullcrap. Everyone'd just *buy* their experience.

IF NPC USED:

It doesn't have to be a perfect exchange - far from it. 20% extra experience could be removed - label the NPC with this nice and clear. Experience would also bind on trade, for balence reasons. If they want to resell it, they'll have to take the cut as well, which becomes unprofitable very very fast.

IF NPC NOT USED:

Experience would bind on trade - but only at a success rate of (rationality * 2) / overall level per 100 experience.

Why can't we just use the schools?

Because they require you to be at least basic in that skill to gain anything.

Other applications:

If enough people complain about dropping their stuff, even after rosogotals, dropping 2% of experience in their highest skill could possibly be substituted.

Character selling would come to a decline, since an ingame mechanism already exists for such tasks, thus freeing up at least a minor problem for the moderators.

As with all posts... feel free to change anything, I know you all definitely will.

uhhh... if i ever heard this idea, i would think it were uterly stupid, but u really give an in depth explanation that makes me think its a good idea, i mean sure, why not, but if that were to happen, people would find somebodies random db with somethin expensive, sell it, buy exp, and suddenly be a high lv w/o doing any work for their lvs.

XP could be worth an extreme amount of gc for very little of it, and it could be like the knowledge system, u gain how much u buy over time as if you were reading a book. And u can do other things to get more xp on top of that while learning the xp.

Edited by redsoxlovr10

No, bad idea. People with little money would feel forced to sell their experience in order to get the money they need, and the rich players would continue to come out on top. Besides, how can you "buy" experience? Think about it...you can't become a better warrior/whatever by simply spending money, you have to practice it either way.

XP could be worth an extreme amount of gc for very little of it, and it could be like the knowledge system, u gain how much u buy over time as if you were reading a book. And u can do other things to get more xp on top of that while learning the xp.

Like stated above, no NPC would buy or sell experience. It's all up to the players.

Think about it...you can't become a better warrior/whatever by simply spending money, you have to practice it either way.

There's no good reason for the items to disappear while making items in an experience school. It's done for the benefit of the player group - no spammed item production for experience. This way, there's no spammed experience production for items.

Edited by freeone3000

I think that xp pots would be a better idea, but that has been sudgested before... maybe have more random events like when ur harv mother nature gives u extra xp, have this happen for any skill.

It kind of makes sense Freeone. I had to read it twice through but i think i get it. Its like 'teaching' somone else? It would be a good feature that you can only sell Exp to somone at a lower level to you...? I take it that Exp is not deducted from yourself if you choose to sel??

It would certainly decrease the flow of endless useless artefacts that curse our economy!!

If your xp wasn't reduced when u sold it, then people would be getting free money or giving lvs to their friends/alts for free.

(edit: 300th post for me post count, hellz yeah and i did it w/o spamming this time :icon13:)

Edited by redsoxlovr10

In theory the idea is really nice but I think it would be bad for the game. IMO, it will enlarge the hole between low level players and high ones. Even if you can sell the exp only to lower players than you, the players who are playing with real $ will have a great advantage and will be able to upgrade their char very very fast and I don't like that.

i gathered taht Exp wouldnt be sold for $ where does it say that in the thread?!

With $ you buy items from El shop, you sell them in game for gc, you spend gc on experience...

i gathered taht Exp wouldnt be sold for $ where does it say that in the thread?!

With $ you buy items from El shop, you sell them in game for gc, you spend gc on experience...

indeed. Or people could buy a lot of chars with $ then trade all the exp to themselves, thus super building chars...

XP should never be able to be sold or transferred in any way, in my opinion.

Or you could have exp sold on the EL shop for rl money... kinda like in WoW, my friend tells me you can buy ur way into lv 60 for like 500 dollars. Have it so that 1k xp costs 1 dollar for a specific skill besides oa.

Realllly... bad idea...IF you could buy exp it would just be for the warriors that are blamed for not doing anything but fighting to use their 100million gc storages and buy their way up to lvl 60-70 every other skill...

And about only selling to lower levels...then what will the higher levels earn on this? And where are the lower levels going to get enough money for buying exp? And why not spend that money on ingreds instead?... too much cons.

Also what is the point having skills when you don't have to use them for getting experience in them?=S