Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MagpieLee

Autoinvasion improvement

There was just an auto invasion just moments ago. And quite frankly, it was too short...Do people really care about 'saving' Seridia? Or do people want things to whack? I'll leave it for you to decide.

I suggest making the 2nd wave: Votd gold cave and votd temple (the one with female orcs, mortos old temple). And having the last and 3rd wave on both sides of the river. Everything is already set up for this since there is already a cave entrance leading into the votd old temple.

Edit: there was *another* one and it was sniffed out too. Gilean said it best: Randomilisation is teh cool

Any other suggestions about improving this would be useful!

Edited by MagpieLee

Developing autoinvasions would be great idea. Maybe making them more random. Like number of waves, number of monsters, etc. There is so many parameters that may be randomize.

IMO it would be nice if the warning messages stopped, auto-invasions barely happen past the gold mine in this way so its just an auto invasion of goblins etc.. don't get the fun stuff like cycs/chims/etc at votd :/

we, the Coop-forces of EL with the help of others, worked very hard to get that system up and running. sorry if you dont like it but it is saveing many lives and its better for us, we hope to keep it running forever.

they are quite irritating, i suggest in making them a little shorter to fit 1 line, instead of 2(most of the time)

and magpielee, it would be nice for another spot in VotD, but i think it would be even nicer if there were some lower level monsters so that newer players could also help fight them

Warning system sucks, imo. All it does is ruin the whole fun of the invasion in the first place, the random Invasions were alot better, when they all spawned in Votd, and noone knew about it.

There was one invasion which was Arctic Chims, all spawned i Votd since not many people can take them, and it was some fun, even if I lost Rosto to them, I dont care.

If as you say, the game is about "fun" this warning system dosn't help any.

One thing that I've seen mentioned for MMORPGs in general, that I agree with, is let players contribute to changes in their world. GIWS is a good example of this, but it's just a start. The world is sometimes frustratingly static -- not only are they same animals and monsters in each map as always were, but they even spawn at the same locations.

This can be changed.

What if an invasion is *successful*? If monsters kill everyone in a particular map, for example, they should be allowed to "set up base", so to speak, on that map. For all practical purposes, this would mean that those monsters would now spawn on the map -- and since they're invasion monsters being spawned, they'd still ignore MM. Invasions of neighboring maps would now be more likely. Players could be able to fight them back if they manage to kill all of them (which would mean securing the spawns while others hunt down the stragglers), and the map would be returned to its normal state.

This would have implications for gameplay -- for example, if MM was "conquered", Vesine and Kelcha would be very hard to reach. If VOTD was conquered, the most popular spot in the game for gathering roses and snaps for fire essences would be unusable for most people. Etc. There would be strong pressure to organize a counterinvasion, with low-level people and manufacturers supplying resources for fighters (armor, potions, essences, etc) to combat the threat.

In short, players would be making a difference in their world.

By the way, for people who don't like GIWS: Don't petition to just destroy what people have been paying to create. Rather, petition to create an anti-GIWS NPC that you can donate to who has the goal of destroying GIWS -- perhaps some minion of Mortos. :D Once again, leave what transpires in the world in the players' hands.

Edited by KarenRei

we, the Coop-forces of EL with the help of others, worked very hard to get that system up and running. sorry if you dont like it but it is saveing many lives and its better for us, we hope to keep it running forever.

I'm sorry you don't have something better to do with your time, but I, atlantis, along with a lot of other people can't understand. I mean, games like WoW pay to have more invasions, but not EL, we pay 15 million gc to have less invasions. What's next, we pay to have more peace days, so peaceful crafters don't misclick a bear in VOTD?

By the way, for people who don't like GIWS: Don't petition to just destroy what people have been paying to create. Rather, petition to create an anti-GIWS NPC that you can donate to who has the goal of destroying GIWS -- perhaps some minion of Mortos. Once again, leave what transpires in the world in the players' hands.
ROFL. For one thing, this thing is just like a money draining machine, it has no purpose other than to counteract ruining the fun of invasions. Secondly, fighters are cheap :pinch: Unless you make all potions/essences you will almost undoubtedly loose money on tranining, but I will not sidetrack onto the loss of money from fighting. Many other skills are profitted on easily (and these are the people that would donate to the other money sinking apparatus).

How about just give warning when the monsters spawn in votd :D

I'm sorry you don't have something better to do with your time, but I, atlantis, along with a lot of other people can't understand. I mean, games like WoW pay to have more invasions, but not EL, we pay 15 million gc to have less invasions. What's next, we pay to have more peace days, so peaceful crafters don't misclick a bear in VOTD?

No, you didn't pay to have less invasions ... you paid to be notified when yo go charging in to have fun!

I think its a good idea, maybe use some smaller monsters? Gobbies/Orc/Ogre? Then more lower a/d people could participate.
no, not everyone can participate then, please make it beavers or deers with 10 minute warning.

No, you didn't pay to have less invasions ... you paid to be notified when yo go charging in to have fun!

Killing three goblins is not fun :pinch:

The only way its fun is if there is no warning, so some monsters that everyone can participate in spawns.

By the way, for people who don't like GIWS: Don't petition to just destroy what people have been paying to create. Rather, petition to create an anti-GIWS NPC that you can donate to who has the goal of destroying GIWS -- perhaps some minion of Mortos. Once again, leave what transpires in the world in the players' hands.
ROFL. For one thing, this thing is just like a money draining machine, it has no purpose other than to counteract ruining the fun of invasions. Secondly, fighters are cheap :pinch: Unless you make all potions/essences you will almost undoubtedly loose money on tranining, but I will not sidetrack onto the loss of money from fighting. Many other skills are profitted on easily (and these are the people that would donate to the other money sinking apparatus).

How about just give warning when the monsters spawn in votd :D

First off, a quick pet peeve: It's lose, not loose

http://loseloose.com/

Anyways, if it's important to you, you should pay for it. We who like knowing about invasions paid to get it up. If you want it down, you should pay to take it down. If you can't afford it, that means that you don't have a significant level of support compared to those who paid to put it up, and thus it should thus stay up.

Do you want an unfair advantage? You're a fighter -- go hunt them down when they go for hydrogenium, since, after all, it's hydrogenium bars that keep GIWS going. If they buy their hydrogenium, organize a protection racket in order to embargo those people ("We won't touch you on your way to/from hydrogenium, but sell to this person, and we can't guarantee your safety any more..."). It's a PK map to get there, so that means that fighters have the advantage.

The fate of what happens in the game should, wherever possible, be left to the players in the game. If you can't influence the game effectively, it should imply that others are working against your goals better than you're working toward them.

Edited by KarenRei

You mentioned stuff about protection from other fighters. Good in theory, but definately NOT very viable in practice.

The fate of what happens in the game should, wherever possible, be left to the players in the game. If you can't influence the game effectively, it should imply that others are working against your goals better than you're working toward them.

Sounds fantastic in theory. Shattered dreams in practice.

Anyways, if it's important to you, you should pay for it. We who like knowing about invasions paid to get it up. If you want it down, you should pay to take it down. If you can't afford it, that means that you don't have a significant level of support compared to those who paid to put it up, and thus it should thus stay up.
We *all* like knowing to hear about an invasion. But the balance was tipped too far. I tell ya, does the average player of EL care about saving Seridia? Or just prolong the whacking of invasions? I respect your arguments but even though they emcompass the bigger picture of EL, all we really want (what we really really want) is an improvement to the autoinvasion(s).

I think the auto-invasion system could be improved by:

1. Give more warning so people have time to GET there.

2. Announce the type of creatures invading so people know if they can fight or should run (or if they should bother to show up when they'd have to travel from a different map or continent).

3. Not limit the invasion to just high-level monsters (at least I think they're so limited) but allow an invasion to be any monster from gobblins on up (but only one monster per invasion).

So when the warning goes out "Ogres have invaded VotD" people know how they should respond.

It cost a lot of money/resources to build the system, it should be able to provide more useful information.

Totally agree with you bkc56

Ive been to a couple of invasions and got totally outclassed by artic chims.now when the alarm goes out i just shrug my shoulders and carry on doing what i was doing.leave the invasion to ppl who can deal with it and bagjumpers.

If i could make a differance rather than just be cannon(chimi) fodder then i would participate but no fun gettin munched all the time lol :P

edit:Been to a few more invasions and have changed my view . starting to enjoy them so this post is out of date

Edited by conavar

You mentioned stuff about protection from other fighters. Good in theory, but definately NOT very viable in practice.

Care to elaborate? After all, we can see who donates to GIWS. Of course, "whacking" those who donate is simply one advantage that fighters have. Since other people donated to establish GIWS, if they want to get rid of it, they should have to donate for that. If they can't get enough interest from people to raise the funds to destroy it, it should stay.

I tell ya, does the average player of EL care about saving Seridia?

No. And that's part of the problem. The "invasion of Seridia" is meaningless. Nothing changes. We can see regions attacked, but when all is said and done, nothing changes.

There should be a consequence to random events, which is the other part of my original post. The monsters should be <I>able to win</I>. One possible implication of a monster victory would be the spawning of invasion monsters at the local spawns instead of the local monsters -- only by killing every last one of them (which would imply securing all of the spawns while others hunt down the stragglers -- a major effort if it was tough monsters) could the land be retaken.

That's just one possibility, though. People won't care about invasions unless a loss during an invasion actually means something.

Imagine a loss that, say, effectively cut off the Imbroglio Islands. Or Crystal Caverns. Imagine how the economy would respond. How players would respond if an invasion could have those kind of consequences. Or what if the effect wasn't the cutoff of a region? What if the monsters were invading to "poison the water supply", and if they "win", the next several days have negative regen when near the area? What if the monsters were invading to gather ingredients for a blood curse that makes items tend to rot? Or a spell that boosts the strength of monsters? Etc.

Anyways, to sum up: There should be consequences. Players actions should matter.

I tell ya, does the average player of EL care about saving Seridia?

No. And that's part of the problem. The "invasion of Seridia" is meaningless. Nothing changes. We can see regions attacked, but when all is said and done, nothing changes.

Spot on Karen . Players dont care about the invasion of Seridia because theres no incentive for them to do so.

The Invasion is successful .. what happens the creatures happily trot off back to where they came from = player apathy " We fail ..so what !!! nothing is going to change "

There should be repercussions if players fail to stop the invasion .What form these take and if they are big or small is debatable.If players thought there actions would have a possitive or negative effect on EL and therefore there day to day life within the game then they would care about saving Seridia

Edited by conavar

Care to elaborate?

No I don't, simply because I know it will turn flamey. If you would like, forum PM me and I will gladly give you some elaboration.

As for the main topic at hand, how about a mix of monsters rather then just one type?

I think the auto-invasion system could be improved by:

1. Give more warning so people have time to GET there.

2. Announce the type of creatures invading so people know if they can fight or should run (or if they should bother to show up when they'd have to travel from a different map or continent).

3. Not limit the invasion to just high-level monsters (at least I think they're so limited) but allow an invasion to be any monster from gobblins on up (but only one monster per invasion).

So when the warning goes out "Ogres have invaded VotD" people know how they should respond.

It cost a lot of money/resources to build the system, it should be able to provide more useful information.

I disagree with all your points. :hug:

1. This does not solve the problem at all. It just gives more time to the geeks who want to kill the goblins and stuff, making less fun for everyone. I still do not understand, why do we pay to have less fun? :huh:

2. Then you will just stop all fighters going entirely unless it is chim + announced

3. I think these things should be challenging as well. I can't kill a giant 1vs1, but I would rather see some of those spawn than stuff like cycs and fluffies which I kill without a problem.

In short, I think these things should be fun. I don't want to destroy the warning system in order to "kill my el family and steal the 29 gold coins that some innocent civilian unprepardely dropped to a deadly goblin!!!1111!," I want to destroy it because it makes the game less fun.

I disagree with all your points. :bow_arrow:

1. This does not solve the problem at all. It just gives more time to the geeks who want to kill the goblins and stuff, making less fun for everyone. I still do not understand, why do we pay to have less fun? :cry:

2. Then you will just stop all fighters going entirely unless it is chim + announced

3. I think these things should be challenging as well. I can't kill a giant 1vs1, but I would rather see some of those spawn than stuff like cycs and fluffies which I kill without a problem.

1. You mean its less fun for you and maybe the 10-20 ppl that are active with 100/100 a/d+ ? Without averange monster invasions aswell, whats the fun for the rest of the players?

2. Getting type of monster is a very good idea, I have thought about it myself and it totally makes sence to get something back from all those millions of gc, sulfur and hydro bars that players spent. If you dont want to go and fight unless its chims then don't go, others want to play aswell.

3. Same as 1., YOU can kill those easy... the rest of the server dreams about doing that.

bkc56 had some nice points there!

You took a bigger bite than you can chew :)

1. You mean its less fun for you and maybe the 10-20 ppl that are active with 100/100 a/d+ ?
Dunno where you're getting your numbers from. According to Learner's top page feature at the moment, over 75 people have logged on with over 100 a/d already today. If you look beyond the titanium and diamond mines, you will notice there are more players at those levels than you think.

2. Getting type of monster is a very good idea, I have thought about it myself and it totally makes sence to get something back from all those millions of gc, sulfur and hydro bars that players spent.
For me, and many fighters, fighting an ogre or cyclops is like fighting a beaver. Kill it in 3 seconds or so and very little health lost. I'm not saying that every invasion should be artic chimeran wolves or something. I'm just saying that its really not too fun when there is 8 minutes (?) for "someone protecting their EL family, because watching fighting is almost as tramautizing as participating in it" to go kill a few goblins. If the invasions started right in votd all the time then I wouldn't care what the monster was, at least sometimes they would be some fun.

3. Same as 1., YOU can kill those easy... the rest of the server dreams about doing that.
As a clear indication that you don't know what you're talking about, you didn't even address my point. ;) If you read it, I said that
I can't kill a giant 1vs1, but I would rather see some of those spawn than stuff like cycs and fluffies which I kill without a problem.
To relate this, I'm just saying that I'd rather have this game be a bit challenging than all the invasions be easy. Kind of like being a top PKer with nothing stronger than you, everyone runs and it is not as much fun as having some fights that are challenging. I want to be able to kill a giant easily. But I can't. Nevertheless, it's still more fun than fighting stuff that I kill with no challenge.

Again, I will repeat, since you seem to suffer of 'selective reading' as we call it here: Not all invasions will be perfectly designed for me, I accept that. However, making some of them fun by not giving a warning for the goblin fun, would be a nice thing.

:(

I think the system if fine as it is. Fair Enough im no where near good enough to take on a Chim but that doesnt stop me goin to the invasion if im on C1.Yep a Chim takes one bite of me and im pushing up daisys but doesnt stop me going ( nxt time it might be something i can kill.).A lot of the fun,well for me anyway is not knowing whats going to come out the cave mouth ( and im blonde but not stupid enough to wear anything im worried about losing).

Last 3 invasions of been to i have been killed by arctic Chims :( but thats not a problem .if i was worried about dying i wouldnt have gone and also gives me a goal "DAMN CHIMS ONE DAY I WILL HAVE PAYBACK" :) lol

Be nice to see a lot more variation though . wether it be an invasion of Trolls or hobgoblins or even just gargs .

One thing i would like to see is more invasions that require strategy or tactics: Lets take my friends the chims for example:Maybe they didnt just wander to the caves by chance, maybe there are a giants pets and there giant handler is with them and they keep spawing into the caves until the giant is killed .All of us cannon(chim)fodder can try and draw of the chims while the fighters try and find and take out the giant ,at which point when he is killed all the chims run off . end of invasion. Very very basic strategy concept but hope you get the idea.

To me though system is fine . I will keep going and keep getting killed untill im good enough not to die (or hide behind atlantis ;) )

Edited by conavar