Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

input thread, compass direction, URL catcher, new widgets, ~ on WinNT, cleanup of patches on berlios, reduce defines

has all the stuff at the beginning of this thread been done already, or is there something that I can do?
most of it has, has been spoken for, or is up to the higher-ups. if you have WinNT/XP, then using %APPDATA%\elc for EL data like is used on *nix is something that you could do. shouldn't be too difficult, though it will take a bit of work

Ok I'll do it, ... although I'm not exactly sure what you want me to do. Is it just making it so that it looks for the configuration file in %APPDATA%\elc? Is %APPDATA% an environment variable, because I don't see any environment variables named APPDATA in my version of windows xp.

Josh

Ok I'll do it, ... although I'm not exactly sure what you want me to do. Is it just making it so that it looks for the configuration file in %APPDATA%\elc? Is %APPDATA% an environment variable, because I don't see any environment variables named APPDATA in my version of windows xp.
it's more a system variable. open up a console, and try:
c:\>echo %APPDATA%
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data

(that's for a user called 'username')

there's already code in place to use the home dir on linux and others, it only needs a check to see if it's Win9X or WinNT, and if WinNT, use %APPDATA% where the *nix version uses $HOME

and could a mod split the ~ on NT stuff to another thread please?

Does that mean that I have to upgrade the code that will install the program then. That part of the code isn't part of the client is it? I'm going to start looking into how to get the rest of it done without the installation part for now.

Josh

Does that mean that I have to upgrade the code that will install the program then. That part of the code isn't part of the client is it?
no you don't and no it isn't. look at the code to use the home directory on *nix, just do something similar to that