Eternal Lands Official Forums
Mar(c)

Promote the use of guild channel

Using the #gm (guild message) as an alternative "guild chat channel" originates from before the multi-channel area.

I don't condemn the guilds who used it before multi-channel was implemented, nor who use it nowadays, since the amount of channels you can join always has been limited (1 then, 3 now).

My suggestion is: exclude the guild channel from the channel count.

• It doesn't matter if a guild uses #gm or @ to chat with guildies then, everybody can join up to 3 channels < 1000000000.

• It promotes the use of guild channel (and thus the use of #gm as it was initially intended), since guilds using the guild channel don't have the disadvantage anymore.

A few notes:

• This suggestion is not a beg to raise the channel limit. Whether three channels is enough or not, is not the issue. The issue is to promote the use of the guild channel, by removing the disadvantage of using it.

• This is no attack to #gm chatting guilds, nothing will change for them.

Edited by Mar(c)

• This suggestion is not a beg to raise the channel limit.
it actually is, even if not the way you meant it.

the coding work is a large part of the issue with changing the number of channels available (the policy side is a lot easier to change)

however, especially with @@guild, I think that it'd be nice to have

i agree with him too it's only fair that the guild channel users benefit as much as #gm users

Technically this shouldn't result in any additional bandwidth, because the guilds using strictly #GM for chatting are still using the same bandwidth regardless of whether they use #GM and 3 other channels, or @@guild plus 3 other channels. That said, the benefits of excluding guild channel from your channel count are many.

• #GM can be reserved for special announcements in guild and/or leaders
  • #GM would no longer make it hard to see moderator announcements (server restarts, contests, etc)
  • Moderators could still moderate 3 channels and use guild channel
  • No rank is required for @@guild channel (if no leaders are on to promote a guildie to allow #GM)
  • users could close @@guild chat if they wanted solitude
  • #ci displays how many guildies are online (as long as they have guild channel open)

This has been an ongoing issue for many of us in EL I'm sure, torn between having the ability to monitor channels, like market, invasion, general chat, helping newbies, etc. With the limitation of having @@guild count against the number of channels we are much more limited if we want to use guild chat the way it was intended to be used in the first place. Please consider making @@guild channel usable again please!

;o

Isn't it like a 2year necro?

Honestly, I'd rather not talk at all than type @@guild each time. Thanks no.

tsk tsk tsk Iori, he searched. We much prefer searching :P

And why say no, you can just not use @guild.

All it does it let the people who have #gm usage issues use the guild channel and still get the 3 other channels.

I would be all for this myself, for all the reasons mentioned above, plus I personally hate the thought of #gm going into #mod and #mod stuff going into #gm.

I would be all for this myself, for all the reasons mentioned above, plus I personally hate the thought of #gm going into #mod and #mod stuff going into #gm.

Then control your fingers!

I was not refering to just me :P (*remembers all your oopses and worse*)

I was not refering to just me :P (*remembers all your oopses and worse*)

LIES!

I absolutely agree with Mar©, we, Yugo members, use guild channel for all our inter-guild discussions, and we all suffer from the same problem.

yes, let guildchannel not count for the 3 channellimit,

I am all for allowing 3 channels + guildchannel.

right now guildchannel is mostly just not used cause of that.

#gm is used instead, which as said mixes with all the servermessages.

I'm all for it too...well, since i recently (re)joined a guild that uses guild channel, i find it quite annoying to be limited to 2 other channels so please, make it 3 channels + guild channel

Having guild channel not count in the 3 *IS* the same as increasing the number of guild channels to 4.... but I do like this idea.

And for Iori, who doesn't want to type @@guild before messages... make #jc guild your default channel. It will cut down on chalks (mis-channels) or at least have any chalks only seen by your guildies. And you can still monitor other channels.

It would be nice if we could choose the color coding of the 3 or 4 channels we have active as well. Maybe Buddy list style, where we can see a short list of which channels are active and be able to right click / color code them... but with more than 6 choices

Having guild channel not count in the 3 *IS* the same as increasing the number of guild channels to 4.... but I do like this idea.

Yes and no. From a bandwidth perspective it shouldn't really add anything because what chatting you do in guild channel, you were likely already doing in #gm, so adding guild channel only diverts that same bandwidth to guild channel.

I like this idea, personally we use #gm for all guild chat, and have for a long time, to allow us 3 other channels to talk in.

And I agree with Aislinn about mischannels going to #gm not a channel, its a good way to minimize damage if we can't "control our fingers" :whistle:

I also like the idea of colour coding the channels, I have looked for a way to do this but have not found one yet :(.

I know it will mean a programming change and I know other things will take priority, but please consider it :), of course, you could be really generous and give us 6 channels :devlish:

Just as much as *those* mods of you who mistake your #gm and #mod sometimes, there will be a lot of confusion too.

A lot of people already misstype when they're trying to send public annoucenements in channel 3, to lets say channel 4.

Personally i prefer #gm over @@guild any day. It does get sometimes blurred in with mod announcements and stuff,

but the other chats get blurred in with other open channel rooms as well.

I was in Yugo guild and remember using the @@guild a long time and didn't like it when i went back for a visit, since I like having 3 other public/language rooms open and it took space of one.

If the '4th' channel being guild channel isn't implemented, why not just switch to #gm? :/ Either way you do it, something gets mixed in with something else.

And having 4 channels as opposed to 3 and one guild isn't the same at all.

What about guildless people, or people in one person/inactive guilds?

Some of you may not know that you can easily change channels with CTRL-PGUP/PGDN. I use that to toggle which channel I am on instead of @@<channel>.

In either case (#gm or @guild) you should think before typing. Laziness is not a good enough excuse for sending a sensitive comment to the wrong players. :whistle:

Just as much as *those* mods of you who mistake your #gm and #mod sometimes, there will be a lot of confusion too.

A lot of people already misstype when they're trying to send public annoucenements in channel 3, to lets say channel 4.

Personally i prefer #gm over @@guild any day. It does get sometimes blurred in with mod announcements and stuff,

but the other chats get blurred in with other open channel rooms as well.

I was in Yugo guild and remember using the @@guild a long time and didn't like it when i went back for a visit, since I like having 3 other public/language rooms open and it took space of one.

If the '4th' channel being guild channel isn't implemented, why not just switch to #gm? :/ Either way you do it, something gets mixed in with something else.

Ehhh? That wasn't the only reason, i just added to the already posted list of reasons. And even so, why does that reason offend you so much? :whistle:

And having 4 channels as opposed to 3 and one guild isn't the same at all.

What about guildless people, or people in one person/inactive guilds?

What about them? :devlish:

Again, if one doesn't need this suggestion, one doesn't need to use it if it gets implemented. It won't change anything for you if you prefer #gm.

@drakos7: Heh yeah I absolutely agree but unfortunately this isn't the perfect world is it :)

Neat trick with the ctrl-page up/down, didn't know that one.

Does that keep the last channel toggled through before you get back to "view all" the active channel?

S.

Again, if one doesn't need this suggestion, one doesn't need to use it if it gets implemented. It won't change anything for you if you prefer #gm.

Ahhh but Aisy; if it wont affect me at all, but others will get some benefit, i should be against it just because i'm not getting a benefit!

This is standard practice for suggestions forum kk.

:):devlish::whistle:

I also like the idea of colour coding the channels, I have looked for a way to do this but have not found one yet :devlish:.

I know it will mean a programming change and I know other things will take priority, but please consider it :whistle:

Actually, this is a client change which wouldn't need any server interaction as all the traffic is currently sent with a channel ID.

All that would be required would be to check the channel the incoming message is on when printing the message and change the colour it is printed in. Probably around 5 minutes work.

Naturally, you would need an entire window (similar to the buddy's list one) to handle setting colours for the different channels. Then you would need to add the code to save those changes somewhere (.cfg file along with window positions?). This of course would be the part that would do with server implementation as changing computers would mean not having your config (like the counters). This part is also probably about 6 hours of coding and testing which is why I haven't done it. :-P

/edit: Speeling. :-P

Edited by Torg