Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnTheWarder

The gym!

Because he is saying that it would take away from the fun of the game, well if you say that then all variables in the game take away the fun. The biggest beef I have with this game is that all these "pro players" think that nothing should change, they are afraid of not being the top anymore. Like one admin said, dont quit the game because of change, and I would say that all these "pro players" have that mentality that just because they started out and used the system longer it should be set in stone.

Forget this, Iam officialy leaving this thread. ;):D

JohnTheWarder, you are completely correct when you say that "That Doing The Same Thing Over and Over Gets Boring"!

Levelling can easily become the dominant activity for a player. This is not good play, certainly not roleplaying, and is deeply boring. It is the equivalent of perpetual tool sharpening.

What we need is more uses for those tools. What can we do with those skills and abilities now we have invested so much tedium in getting them? We need other goals, possibly with end benifits completely unrelated to skill and attribute values!

Well unfortunately I really meant this as a far future development because It would require alot of animation and moving objects which I dont think is quite possible at this time. Iam really mad that people thought I was just suggesting that you can sit and do nothing to raise your levels. Quite the contrary, I meant a fun alternative like you play diffrent mini-games and tasks and stuff to raise your level. Which are very involved. Im Just Trying To Say That Doing The Same Thing Over and Over Gets Boring!

;)

You mean like quests where you maybe work as a team to achieve some goal while fighting/leveling skills in the process? From your original post I thought you meant just swapping items/gc for a/d exp.

I like the idea of working towards something else while leveling skills.

*Clears Throat* I just want to play a smegging Mini Game! Everybody happy now? Im just saying that the skills and everything we have now are ok, I just want some flavor, some spice, I want to do something and say man thats cool I want to do it again. I want people to Discover that there is more to a game, something new to do something thats fun and makes you want more.

:) Clearer now. I agree that this would be interesting, for instance if Joker hunt involved a stat of some sort. It would be great to have mini-games just to do something else for variety. That said, I wouldn't expect them in the near future, seeing as the main game still has a lot of fleshing out to do.

Still, players events could have some effect on this. Example:

Competitive whack-a-mole (beaver?):

Officials required: One summoner, one impartial judge.

2 players

Game play:

A summoner summons in a row 20 beavers. The objective is for the two players to kill as many as possible. The one who kills the most wins a prize.

This probably has about a thousand holes in it, but it serves as an example of a player initiated "mini-game".

Player organised minigames do happen; the hide-and-seek sort are quite common. With hbags treasure hunts can get interesting. Plus there have been quizs held on chat channels (not very RPG but easy to do).