Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cicero

[Patch] custom WAV loader

Submitted patch 001161 on Berlios. This contains a custom WAV loader so it is no longer necessary to use ALUT (I noticed someone already removed init and exit). This means EL sound can work with old and new versions of OpenAL. I didn't test it, just made sure it compiled. I pulled it out of another one of my projects, took me about 5 mins to get it working w/ EL (would have been less, but it was originally C++). Since the sound code from that project was based on the EL sound code that I wrote, I thought it was appropriate to return the WAV loader to its ancestor. :pirate:

PS - Hi, anyone who remembers me.

Submitted patch 001161 on Berlios. This contains a custom WAV loader so it is no longer necessary to use ALUT (I noticed someone already removed init and exit). This means EL sound can work with old and new versions of OpenAL. I didn't test it, just made sure it compiled. I pulled it out of another one of my projects, took me about 5 mins to get it working w/ EL (would have been less, but it was originally C++). Since the sound code from that project was based on the EL sound code that I wrote, I thought it was appropriate to return the WAV loader to its ancestor. :cry:

PS - Hi, anyone who remembers me.

Thing to note, I believe they want to switch to .ogg eventually!

Huh? AFAIK, there's never been any discussion of using .ogg for anything other than music. Since we already have the ogg implementation working for music (for what, two years?), I'd assume we would use it for sound too if we really wanted it...

Edited by crusadingknight

Huh? AFAIK, there's never been any discussion of using .ogg for anything other than music. Since we already have the ogg implementation working for music (for what, two years?), I'd assume we would use it for sound too if we really wanted it...

Yeah, I think we can re-use existing code to load .ogg sounds. It's not hard anyway since sounds won't be streamed like music is.

since there are people reporting problems with those functions, will anyone object if I commit this after the update?

(yes, I saw the .ogg thing... all wav support can be removed when everything is .ogg if need be, but until then, loading wavs without other editing is a good thing)

since there are people reporting problems with those functions, will anyone object if I commit this after the update?

(yes, I saw the .ogg thing... all wav support can be removed when everything is .ogg if need be, but until then, loading wavs without other editing is a good thing)

Note the latest version has two paths depending if NEW_SOUND is defined. You'd have to replace the wav-loading in two places - not that it would be difficult but please be aware.

Has the update not finally gone through yet?

Note the latest version has two paths depending if NEW_SOUND is defined. You'd have to replace the wav-loading in two places - not that it would be difficult but please be aware.
not really a problem, it'd show up during patching anyway

ed: are you sure? the patch seems to already do this properly, since the path is already set in the function calling loadWAVfile()

Has the update not finally gone through yet?
nope, there are still some errors for some people, so ent put it off until he gets back from holidays Edited by ttlanhil