Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kalach

I think too much on PK

There's lots of complaints going around about PK. Rostos need to go, there needs to be a penalty for bullies, noone goes into PK anymore. BoD, Branch, CoL are too powerful and favor the people who paid for it.

Noone goes into PK anymore.

Why would they go into PK? Why would they ever go into PK? Yesterday, I saw someone with 250 MP practially begging someone with about 105 MP (comparable equipment) to come in and fight. Why on earth would he do that? He worked hard for his equipment, why would he step in the arena when he knows he's going to get pummelled?

PK is naturally stagnant because it is a rare person that is going to get into a fight they know they are going to lose. So, PK only occurs between the highest known people. The exception to this is multi-combat. However, multi-combat brings in issues of guild size, and we already know how that works.

PK'ers are "bullies" because PK'ers aren't stupid. They will attack someone who doesn't have a chance, but they aren't going to take the risk themselves.

BoD/Branch are one step attempting to solve some of these problems. The idea is that it gives a (slightly, I'm given to understand) lower level fighter a random shot at evening the odds between themselves and a higher level player.

Ent has stated that the location of the Hydrogenium (sp?) will help push people into taking the risk of going into PK, anyway. We'll see how that works out.

The bottom line is that until players can come up with variable strategies to help weaker players defeat stronger players, and take that risk, or players decide they have a reason to fight which they are willing to lose for, PK will always be stagnant.

Personally, I think there are probably strategies out there that can be worked out to make things more interesting. But they would involve teamwork, and some willing sacrifices. (Suicide missions, etc...)

I'm probably wrong, so let the flames begin.

BoD/Branch are one step attempting to solve some of these problems. The idea is that it gives a (slightly, I'm given to understand) lower level fighter a random shot at evening the odds between themselves and a higher level player.

Lower level players with BoD ^^ good one :P

Don't forget the thermal serps too

Either train to become a top player yourself, or just stay out of PK. I once tried to get in the top, but fighting brought me more trouble than good (not just because I was weak).

I'm now member of a non-pk guild, I'm having way more fun than before...

Just decide for yourself if you're willing to take the risk...

Lower level players with BoD ^^ good one :P.

Yeah... Cost prohibitive. I remember looking at the number and deciding it wasn't worth it to count the zeroes. Who knows, maybe a guild can help out with this. Probably not. It's just one option. There's a possibility of interesting lemming marches using certain perks. There just has to be a guild dedicated enough to put the strategy into effect. ( It would take 10+ players to make it even start to be reliable, but tele rings help.)

Bod and branch are too powerfull yes... but i'm having doubts about the COL, normally you wouldn't go into pk if there was someone way stronger then you inside pk.. with COL people fight stronger ppl (and the fights last a bit longer :P )

The bottom line is that until players can come up with variable strategies to help weaker players defeat stronger players, and take that risk, or players decide they have a reason to fight which they are willing to lose for, PK will always be stagnant.

lower people can summon lots of chims to beat the stronger players ;p

if rosto's were removed then ppl would take the risk of going in pk to get that thermal serp someone is carrying or some other expensive item.

Bod and branch are too powerfull yes... but i'm having doubts about the COL, normally you wouldn't go into pk if there was someone way stronger then you inside pk.. with COL people fight stronger ppl (and the fights last a bit longer :P )

if rosto's were removed then ppl would take the risk of going in pk to get that thermal serp someone is carrying or some other expensive item.

Is it really a risk they can win? Does anyone believe they can? At what level range does it become a worthwhile roll of the dice?

maybe, but it's a battle of the dollars, rather than strategy... besides, if both have the CoL (and with the weapons needed to get through one, both people do need one), there's no evening out

as for the guild thing... I remember hearing about a bomber guild long ago... need self-destruct and mirror to join... of course self destruct is far less powerful these days

dude u forgot no1 goes in pk with expensive items if there are no rostogols lol

or yet even buying them

Just wanted to share my thoughts:

Maybe you can gain money with it faster than with other skills, at a higher risk of course. But the thing which is worth the most is experience points, and the experience you gain from PKing isn't even worth to be mentioned. Experience is faster gained by PvPing, training on monsters or any other skill.

The only thing which makes PKing really attractive is the thrill, the possibility of being attacked any second, where you might prevail - or get killed, and lose things. And that thrill - proofing yourself against others - will always draw people into PK areas, no matter how badly balanced it is.

u dont make a profit from PK. You use essence/equipment/SRs and whenever you kill anyone they always have rost...

lal, when you make a kill you should get points depending on how big the a/d diff was. You can then use the points to buy items @ a shop somewhere, would mean at least you get some kind of reward for killing someone these days.

dude u forgot no1 goes in pk with expensive items if there are no rostogols lol

or yet even buying them

u dont make a profit from PK. You use essence/equipment/SRs and whenever you kill anyone they always have rost..

So was there ever profit before Rosto? Just newbs who weren't bright enough to leave their expensive items at home? No because the same type of newb would exist now, and wouldn't have rost....

Edit:

You could solve the problem the RICH way:

Make money the old fashioned way, but together a trade bot that will buy Rosto for absurd price. Corner the market so that most people would rather sell rosto to your bot, than another PK'er.

Edited by Kalach

PK'ers are "bullies" because PK'ers aren't stupid. They will attack someone who doesn't have a chance, but they aren't going to take the risk themselves.

All generalisations are wrong.

EDIT: but seriously, i hate it when people who don't PK tar us all with the same brush.

how many chims does it take to beat someone in top 50 a/d with 49 magic and COL? Even when you do beat them you get the reward of a shower of tele sparks or a bag of air. Hardly worth even the ~15kgc to summon 5 chims.

Summoning can be useful for altering the balance of a fight so you can fight someone slightly better than you but there's still no profit in it.

Edited by Bharain

Do you actually play the game Kalach? Or just sit on the forums making these silly threads?

Edited by LadyWolf

Do you actually play the game Kalach? Or just sit on the forums making these silly threads?

My thoughts exactly :P

"u dont make a profit from PK. You use essence/equipment/SRs and whenever you kill anyone they always have rost..

So was there ever profit before Rosto? Just newbs who weren't bright enough to leave their expensive items at home? No because the same type of newb would exist now, and wouldn't have rost...."

LOL?

It would help if you were there. You dont know wtf you're talking about.

And yes there was always a profit. In proper fights people always dropped items. You say that PKers are bullies who only fight people lower lvls than them... you obviously know nothing about this. We always fight people our own lvl. Hence the problem with rosts and profit...

Edited by Zaer

:P:omg::hug:

Ouch....

Do you actually play the game Kalach?

Yep. Actually, LadyReni should know. She quite enjoyed Dejan murdering me on #jc 24, recently. Am I a pr0? No, I'm a newb. That's why I hope when I post a thread like this an experienced player (Umm... Like LadyWolf, maybe?) to post intelligent opinions that correct and guide.

Or just sit on the forums making these silly threads?

Considering that I'm bringing together issues that have been brought up in about 5 different places, I didn't particularly think it was silly. Could be wrong, though... Mostly I'm at work doing a sucky job that I go shoved into on a temporary basis, waiting for the end of this week when I will go back to my normal job, and probably not have time to even think about looking at forums.

LOL?

Sure would... And given time, I'll be there. But right now there is a lot of differing opinions and griping going on that I'm trying to understand. If I was there, I would understand it and I wouldn't post, now would I?

And yes there was always a profit. In proper fights people always dropped items. You say that PKers are bullies who only fight people lower lvls than them... you obviously know nothing about this.

Good... Correct me.

We always fight people our own lvl. Hence the problem with rosts and profit...

This from a person who in another forum thread has steadfastly defended their right to PK who they want when they want? This Thread

BTW, the generalization was wrong and ill-worded and I appologize. I clearly insulted a lot of people I had absolutely no intention of insulting. My bad.

But I still don't get this:

Zaer says "PK'ing was profitable before rost"

vwPro say "Noone went into PK with anything of value before rost"

And WTF is a pole jumper?

Edit: Fixed stupid quotes

Edit2: Added thread mentioned above.

Edited by Kalach

:P:omg::hug:

Ouch....

Do you actually play the game Kalach?

Yep. Actually, LadyReni should know. She quite enjoyed Dejan murdering me on #jc 24, recently. Am I a pr0? No, I'm a newb. That's why I hope when I post a thread like this an experienced player (Umm... Like LadyWolf, maybe?) to post intelligent opinions that correct and guide.

Or just sit on the forums making these silly threads?

Considering that I'm bringing together issues that have been brought up in about 5 different places, I didn't particularly think it was silly. Could be wrong, though... Mostly I'm at work doing a sucky job that I go shoved into on a temporary basis, waiting for the end of this week when I will go back to my normal job, and probably not have time to even think about looking at forums.

LOL?

Sure would... And given time, I'll be there. But right now there is a lot of differing opinions and griping going on that I'm trying to understand. If I was there, I would understand it and I wouldn't post, now would I?

And yes there was always a profit. In proper fights people always dropped items. You say that PKers are bullies who only fight people lower lvls than them... you obviously know nothing about this.

Good... Correct me.

We always fight people our own lvl. Hence the problem with rosts and profit...

This from a person who in another forum thread has steadfastly defended their right to PK who they want when they want? This Thread

BTW, the generalization was wrong and ill-worded and I appologize. I clearly insulted a lot of people I had absolutely no intention of insulting. My bad.

But I still don't get this:

Zaer says "PK'ing was profitable before rost"

vwPro say "Noone went into PK with anything of value before rost"

And WTF is a pole jumper?

Edit: Fixed stupid quotes

Edit2: Added thread mentioned above.

Pole jumper= person that hops the sign in and out of a pk map to annoy...

as far as guiding you and correcting you....no...learn from playing and observing others in game..thats how WE all learned.

Pole jumper= person that hops the sign in and out of a pk map to annoy...

Not me. I don't do anything for the specific purpose of annoying.

as far as guiding you and correcting you....no...learn from playing and observing others in game..thats how WE all learned.

I'm doing that, too. Obviously, that's a slow process.

thats how WE all learned.

Sure is. Someone always learns first the hard way. Then they pass on the knowledge so others don't have to.

But anywat, this thread has digressed from what I hoped would be an interesting discussion of the various issues that are brought up again and again as threadjacks in areas such as Suggestions, and instead turned into an attack on myself. Partially because of comments I made thoughtlessly that ended up being insulting to a lot of people "PK'ers are bullies"... Stupid, stupid, stupid, because I know it's not true.

A concise "This isn't even close enough to on the point to bear further discussion" would have been preferable to personal attacks.

Hmm, I don't see why its wrong to be educated a different way. Let him learn whatever way he likes best, if he wants to learn by asking experienced players instead of finding out by himself thats fine.

As for my opinion on PKing. Its supposed to be fun and give you a kick to be able to beat others. But umm Kalach, PK isn't solved with BoD, Branch etc, imo this is what messed it up, OLD SCHOOL PKING ROX!

whenever you kill anyone they always have rost...

WEll, i see quite a lot of people pking(non-rosto) in tit chain/serp and bp cloak, if you kill someone in that gear not such a bad drop. :hug:

i never see anyone like that, they always run from me :omg: being strong isnt always advantageous.

and ofcourse i defend my right to pk who i want when i want, i have earned that right by training. However EVERY single person who comes here complaining about being PKd does generalize and say that we only ever kill people lower lvls than ourselves.

and.. the quotes from me and scarr. I am saying that before rosts we made profit because people actually dropped items. scarr is saying that the items we got weren't worth loads, such as COL and thermal, but that was because 1) they didnt exist 2) people wouldnt have risked losing them.

ofcourse we made more profit, we got drops. back then items were actually worth something too, such as serps at 1mil :hug:, or 10k like they were for a long time.

i never see anyone like that, they always run from me :P being strong isnt always advantageous.

and ofcourse i defend my right to pk who i want when i want, i have earned that right by training.

However EVERY single person who comes here complaining about being PKd does generalize and say that we only ever kill people lower lvls than ourselves.

Understood. Of course, that's the only side they get to see, since they always get PK'd. :hug: (I may have to experiment with this thought, if I get a chance to get in game, tonight.) But, I definitely appologize for buying too far into that stereotype.

and.. the quotes from me and scarr. I am saying that before rosts we made profit because people actually dropped items. scarr is saying that the items we got weren't worth loads, such as COL and thermal, but that was because 1) they didnt exist 2) people wouldnt have risked losing them.

ofcourse we made more profit, we got drops. back then items were actually worth something too, such as serps at 1mil :omg:, or 10k like they were for a long time.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. So maybe BoD should break Rosto, instead... But that's for another thread.

As for my opinion on PKing. Its supposed to be fun and give you a kick to be able to beat others. But umm Kalach, PK isn't solved with BoD, Branch etc, imo this is what messed it up, OLD SCHOOL PKING ROX!

I actually couldn't agree more. Bod, Branch, and stuff has ruined pk in alot of ways.