Eternal Lands Official Forums
Learner

Should there be a Player Ranking for GC?

Player Ranking Enhancments  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Should Player Ranking for GC be added?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I don't care

I disagree because our currency is not based in items but gold and platinum coins. This is an economy based game and for me its only logical to have a currency ranking chart.

Who told you it was an economy based game? Interesting. I'll say that the economy is a factor in the game, but I would not say this is an economy based game.

You compare to real life. Ok, have your real life net worth calculated. I'll tell you right now, they don't JUST look at your bank account.

I disagree because our currency is not based in items but gold and platinum coins. This is an economy based game and for me its only logical to have a currency ranking chart.

Who told you it was an economy based game? Interesting. I'll say that the economy is a factor in the game, but I would not say this is an economy based game.

You compare to real life. Ok, have your real life net worth calculated. I'll tell you right now, they don't JUST look at your bank account.

Well, you could count those items as a value of whatever the NPC buys them for. Granted that this is usually a lot lower than what they are worth, but it would still factor in these items. However, you would have to set prices for rings and one or two other things.

Entropy told me it was an economy based game long ago. Even if he didn't tell me that, its obvious that it is. Yes the IRS (Internal Revenue Service in the USA) taxes your bank account and networth separately. US citizens list them separately, I don't know how it works for other countries other than France. I know that we don't list every single glass, flower or bone in our house (I hope that none of us have bones lying around in the first place unless we are an archaeologist). I also know that most countries if not all don't have citizen lists showing our best attributes and skills ( Sussie is number 23 in making brownies and John is 48 in picking fresh strawberries) posted in every governement office and embassy. Whoever said that EL was real life?

ATM, nothing is being taxed. This is simply a suggestion for a currency ranking much like in the who's who of the wealthiest people in the world. Its a game and this unique and original concept would be an interesting feature which would help bring balance and a little spice into the game. At least let's try it out on a probation period.

I don't see what the big fuss is. Just pay Learner a small fee to hide your name on the top players list or simply strive not to be on the list.

I never liked the list in the first place but it exists. Most of the players like it because they love seeing their name in text. Its a status symbol. Since we have that list in the first place then lets complete it with a currency ranking.

We all have our own indivdual opinions and for various reasons... Vive la difference! Whoever said that EL doesn't have politics? lol :blush:

Edited by Savyl

i dont really like the idea of being ranked on your riches. cos the amount of money you own isnt how much you're worth. like all the new players with little gc will be looked down on and laughed at. as long as you only show the top 200 i hope (which you'll probably do), and there is a way to not be in the ranking system, then yes. im not too bothered about this one, but i do think there should be more ranking systems as well as the skill rankings.

Edited by algunar

As for me,my virtual life is imitating my real life e.g no sooner do I acquire money than I spend it.

Iwould guess that the ants will be the poorest.

Btw,I don't see begging as a problem here compared to some sites i've visited.

I judge relative worth by the number of people I see wearing crowns.

Just my 1 and 1/2 gc worth since I'm broke again.

How about spend time making an average 9 skill top list, this idea with the GC is kinda pointless since it isnt a skill or such.

This is an excellent idea. I can see it now

Guild Member 1: Why'd you sell all your stuff

Guild Member 2: To get gc

Guild Member 1: why?

Guild Member 2: to get a higher ranking

Guild Member 3: WHAT?!?!?!

Guild Member 1: yeah, wtf?

Guild Member 2: I'm worth something now xD

Hmm how about a list for platinum, then people would "want" to convert

I was planning on accounting for the platinum since they are directly convertable and are money.

I vote NO.

The list would be pointless.. I go from 150k down to almost nothing on a weekly basis just leveling manu... The list would be fluctuating so wildly that it would never give an accurate assesment of where people stand.... what about people that save for a specific thing like a COL and a couple of magic swords?? they are deemed rich untill they buy these items then they are 'poor' again.

And if a privacy feature is added where you dont have to display your level of GC then again..whats the point..it would never be a true indicator...

I think the dev team would be better employed making a general population curve..The classic bell curve...(this would be a link on the main EL forum). where a daily/weekly statistical analysis could be displayed... Then each person could personally assess where they stand when compared to the general population (of EL ). Then if the person likes they can brag to their friends that they are say in the top 10% of EL in wealth (for tuesday of week 32 at 12.30pm). :)

Politics make my head hurt :)

But ah, anyway, i think it would be kinda neat. Would also show which 'profession' makes the most money...if privacy isn't enabled that is :D

As for newbies begging...i have to agree with Aisy. They are newbies for goodness sake. I doubt that they would even figure out where it is unless someone comes up and says: "Hey! If you want to get free stuff, here's a list of people ranking in money! Go for the closest to highest or the people in the middle cuz they are much more gulible." :P

I mean come on, highly unlikely.

Vote - yes

Edited by kat

The list would be fluctuating so wildly that it would never give an accurate assesment of where people stand....

Well... my idea of this is not to get an idea of where any one person stands, so the list fluctuating is fairly irrelivent I'd say. For me, I'm more interested in how I stand at a particular point with relation to the general public (even if that fluctuates there will be an average for someone in the lower end like me). I'd also use it to see roughly how much gc is floating around the economy.

Despite the list fluctuating, for the most part it would hold a steady and dependable and rather fairly accurate account of the financial situation regarding EL players. Because many players stiill have a base amount that doesn't vary dramatically. I seriously doubt that the fluctuation can be anymore wild than the Wall Street stock exchange. :P

Well... my idea of this is not to get an idea of where any one person stands, so the list fluctuating is fairly irrelivent I'd say. For me, I'm more interested in how I stand at a particular point with relation to the general public (even if that fluctuates there will be an average for someone in the lower end like me). I'd also use it to see roughly how much gc is floating around the economy.

This is why I said to add a statistical analysis.. it will NOT give individual information..but it would give population data, so you would see at a glance where you stand.. you would have a mean (average)gc per player figure...A bottom figure (0 gc)... a maximum figure (who knows how many million gc)...A median figure (look it up)... and a breakdown.. like 0-1000gc bottom 10% of population .... 1000000gc + top 10% (even 5% increments).

If you want to know where another player stands...ask them... that allows for the best privacy feature...

**Edit I realise you were not interested in others gc... i did not mean this comment directly to you Torg.

Edited by SharkBite

From a market standpoint, anyone who follows the list will be able to charge more or less depending on how the customer sits on the list.

Maybe not a huge issue, but something to consider.

I agree with Sharkbite then. It would be interesting to see how many EL-millionaries there are, and to see how you measure up to the distribution, but pointless to list individuals.

The rankings would be to easily toyed with. After all, what else can you do with huge amounts of cash in EL? Nothing to buy, nowhere to invest...

I would just find it interesting to see how players names go up and down on the list, indicating they've bought something major or whatever...seeing who has gc, who doesn't, how much their names go up and down on the list...just to see how normal people live their daily lives so to speak.

Obviously it's not an accurate indicator of an individual's real wealth, since items wouldn't be included, but the key word is "interesting". It doesn't have a heck of a lot of meaning if we don't know who the people are, or if it's an overall average of people's gc count. It's interesting to see how NewbA got his million so fast, vs why would PlayerB who played for 2 years only have 27k gc. Not that it means PlayerB sux, but obviously he has other priorities and it's an INTERESTING slice of EL life.

If somebody doesn't know by now that gc count is not an accurate indicator of a players net worth... :P

If we add GC Ranking, we can probably add some statistics as well for GC for those players being tracked. And I might even look at adding stats for the Skills before GC goes live.

Remember that adding stats to skills/GC will expose some of the information about high level players. For example, if the Stats say that there are 25 millionaries, then you know that the top 25 people that are ranked have at least that much and that the others are probably just below that.

Do you want to expose that amount of information?

I'm fine with it, I have nothing to hide :icon13: If somebody wants to see what I do/buy/spend/have they're welcome to it.

Politics make my head hurt :icon13:

But ah, anyway, i think it would be kinda neat. Would also show which 'profession' makes the most money...if privacy isn't enabled that is :icon4:

As for newbies begging...i have to agree with Aisy. They are newbies for goodness sake. I doubt that they would even figure out where it is unless someone comes up and says: "Hey! If you want to get free stuff, here's a list of people ranking in money! Go for the closest to highest or the people in the middle cuz they are much more gulible." :mean:

I mean come on, highly unlikely.

Vote - yes

thanx for the idea kat i know a bunch of ppl that would post the link on ch1 since it'll b information every begging newbie should know....lol

seriously though, if a GC ranking the only gc i'll ever have is from monster drops and that will b short lived, spending it right away. as for market and wealth, i'll go completely black market. i guess unless i need something else in trade, u ppl can pay me in PoFs :)

edit: in case my point wasn't gotten, this would change the way at least some ppl play because of it, ppl like me because they like thier privacy, or ppl wanting to b at the top of the list. i don't think it would give that much honest information at all because of this.

Edited by DemonCowboy

I think that there should not be a gc player ranking. The richest players would be constantly getting pmed by beggers for gold and could be ripped off when buying stuff from other players. My vote is no.

I think that there should not be a gc player ranking. The richest players would be constantly getting pmed by beggers for gold and could be ripped off when buying stuff from other players. My vote is no.

People already beg in local, market, and via PM's and have to be slapped down already. I don't think the top GC list would affect that much, those people usually have problems finding the forums or reading the rules, so they probably can't find the Top list either!