Eternal Lands Official Forums
Suazh

Heaven (anti-underworld)

I think it might be interesting that if you serve a god and you die, you should spawn in the heavens, perhaps a different one for each god. i know you can serve many gods so here are 2 ways that could determine your fate:

1. Your randomly sent to one of the heavens of any god you serve

2. And the other possibility is your sent to the heaven of the god you have the most relations to(i.e. the lvl of your skill that god pertains to, or have the most quests done for)

there should also be bonuses for going to heaven, duh.

-lowered, maybe eradicated, chance of losing items. Possibly if they are for the skill of that god?

-bountiful supplies, perhaps "angels" you can buy things cheaper or buy rare things there(cheaper or not)

-respawn with a gift from that god- xp, special item, etc...

here in lies a problem> a vast desire to die just for such bonuses. REMEDIES!:

-maintain chance of losing items?

-have it only RANDOMLY occur, making it a gamble

-instead of having an exit, make it a limited time experience? such as 1 minute - 5 (just as an example)

this also poses another idea, with the way gods are enemies or friends to each other. Basically as the possibility of going to your god's heaven is possible, so is going to its enemy god's underworld with higher chance of losing items and maybe respawning with temporarily degraded stats and negative effects upon FINDING the exit (inside a labyrinth?). or you might also be sent to an allied gods heaven along with the previously stated ideas.

i know this was kinda lenghty but the specific suggestion forum wouldn't let me post in it (unauthorized?)

suggestions on bonuses, add ons, names, and such are welcome.

im not saying to change them im saying it should be put in?

not sure wha you meant exactly i know there is only underworld i just think there could be room for improvement on the death experience

i know this was kinda lenghty but the specific suggestion forum wouldn't let me post in it (unauthorized?)

suggestions on bonuses, add ons, names, and such are welcome.

Yes you are unauthorized to post there, as that forum's rule (at the top of the page) states:

This forum will be VERY strictly moderated.

Only developers can make a thread in this forum. Players are needed to post their input and suggestions, and to be honest . It is very much ok to oppose an issue as long as you are not insulting about it-be as detailed with your reasons as you can be. Keep this forum rule in mind:

9. Use Constructive CriticismDo not insult the developers or implementations of the game. When a new addition is made to the game and you find something wrong with it, then phrase your words in a thoughtful and meaningful way that people will be willing to respond to. Back your ideas or opinions up by facts or good, well thought out suggestions.

Also heaven and the heavens has been brought up before, but as Derin pointed out, was not implemented because we don't have a hell and death is not god related. ("Search" button is in the upper right hand corner of the page)

Okay i get thet fact that its not part of the game or implemented and death is not god related... im saying that we should make it like that.

Why? It is not required you serve a god to fight or play the game at all, for that matter. People die from fighting and people die from harvesting events from mother nature, not fighting at all. Why should players be forced to serve a god if they don't want to?

For that matter, there are a lot of players who CAN'T serve a god because they took the godless perk.

you dont have to go to hell or heaven even if you do serve a god!!! it just by chance you go there but mostly you will still got to the basic underworld!!! this is just over all and i dont recall mentioning anything about fighting......

note: i also said have it RANDOMLY occur, plz read through it in full because alot is cleared up as you go on!

Edited by Suazh

There are 2 concepts in religions/myths:

The older one used by greeks, romans, nordics etc is an underworld. This is a place where ppl stay until the end of the world comes and then leave to populate the new world. Underworld is neutral, just a place to be when you are dead.

Or, like in christianity for example, its heaven/paradise and hell where the heaven is for the good ppl and the hell is for the bad ones.

This game choosed the concept of an underworld. You dont have to be bad /good to go there. Only dead. And thats why there is no heaven, because there is no need for it. Just go north until you find a red glooming portal and click on the archway :P

Piper

This game choosed the concept of an underworld. You dont have to be bad /good to go there. Only dead. And thats why there is no heaven, because there is no need for it. Just go north until you find a red glooming portal and click on the archway :)

Piper

I would have to say that the underworld is equally if not more useless than the heaven/hell system because all you do is die, walk north, and leave, with nothing happening in it that has any real purpose. as for being good or bad, you are sent to the realm of the god you serve, and thats really the only determining factor. but as you said. the game has chosen it and since the underworld and heaven principles come from 2 different backgrounds i can accept the fact my idea is not going to be considered. i only wish people could have understood me better in the fact its not going to CHANGE the underworld but merely have a random event like when mother nature gets pissed off at you and hurts you. see its quite like that in the fact that it may or may not happen. the only difference is that you need to serve a god and all that does is give you the CHANCE to go to heaven. As a matter of fact i think the term "realm" would be much more suitable. its not an ALTERNATIVE to the underworld... just a possibility(not in the sense of the suggestion itself). ANYWAY.. i withdraw my idea due to circumstances of the games system

Edited by Suazh

When you said randomly, you implied there were different heavens depending on your god that you would randomly go to. You not once stated that the underworld as it is now still would be in place and everything would be normal except for one of these random events occasionally.

And yes, there have been many discussions about the underworld being nothing more than die, walk north, click, you're out. (Search again). However short of making it level based, how does one have an underworld that is challenging but doesn't totally discourage the newbies and not-so-newbies? This dilemma has been debated many times with no satisfactory resolution.

Aislinn, no disrespect meant but she does mention in post #3 that she doesn't want to change the underworld system exactly per say but wants to add to the death experience.

Piper I loved you explanation of the underworld experience and why we have the underworld as opposed to heaven/hell.

Personally I love this idea of yours but me not knowing anything about programming I don't know how complicated it would be and if its even worth it. I do like the idea of those who serve a god to go to a realm of the perhaps the first god which they serve (first god could be considered main god) whilst those who do not serve a god still only get the underworld death experience.

I'm sure its been discussed before but I also think it would be cool to have a level restricted underworld... one for people under such and such and so on, etc.. but not more than 2 underworlds or its too confusing. Once I had an idea to have random exits from the underworld but how to eliminate not popping up on a PK map?

Anyway, you're probably new to these forums but as Aislinn pointed out its usually best to perform a search before beginning a topic to make sure its not already been discussed and as long as its not locked I'm assuming that its still open for discussion.

I still think your idea is good and you shouldn't give it up entirely but work on it some more.

They could only do heaven/hell thing if karma was implimented

Somehow yes, but the concept is having an underworld, not having heaven and hell.

Just walk north and.....

Piper

Aislinn, no disrespect meant but she does mention in post #3 that she doesn't want to change the underworld system exactly per say but wants to add to the death experience.

Sorry, I was focusing on the original post. :)

I have a similar idea but i want to put it here since i got it off Suazh. There should be more than one "Beam" and more than one exit from the "underworld" so new people on ip dont get laggesd out so much when there is a contest. or you can type #beam me up 1 to go to ip or #beam me up 2 to go to ws and so on and so forth.

Just for the record:

The Eternal lands pantheon does not have a heaven or a hell. And there will not be such a thing either.

Death is an experience in itself, but there is no real death for the Eternals (the players) due to the curse of Mortos.

<quote>

I have a similar idea but i want to put it here since i got it off Suazh. There should be more than one "Beam" and more than one exit from the "underworld" so new people on ip dont get laggesd out so much when there is a contest. or you can type #beam me up 1 to go to ip or #beam me up 2 to go to ws and so on and so forth.

</quote>

but this would made teleport rings useless...

What about #beam me to a coal, #beam me to storage? Would be cool too :)

It's just *asking* for muling though...it's not supposed to be that easy to mine that much stuff.

I like this idea...perhaps something like:

"(God Name) has taken pity on you."

Now instead of apearing in underworld you apear at one of your gods diciple assistant.

Dunno about the god giving people stuff... but li ike the idea of not losing stuff your carrying

#beam me, as I understand it is supposed to only be a debug feature - not free transit. While being able to beam everywhere and never really do anything would be neat, who needs it?

Separate "great beyonds" for different players seems cool, but not really seeming to fit with the current game mechanics. I mean, do you just determine each set of gods has an "underworld", and you chance either to go there? And, not only that, but we don't need hundreds of underworlds - I imagine it may have done something to the poor souls of Seridia to actually find out what there was at the end - Good and Evil meet in that grand unifier known as death.

EDIT: something also not commented on - Aluwen's followers get a natural boost in such a situation, if we just appear at our gods' temples...

Edited by Arnieman

There are 2 concepts in religions/myths:

The older one used by greeks, romans, nordics etc is an underworld. This is a place where ppl stay until the end of the world comes and then leave to populate the new world. Underworld is neutral, just a place to be when you are dead.

Or, like in christianity for example, its heaven/paradise and hell where the heaven is for the good ppl and the hell is for the bad ones.

[...]

Tsk tsk tsk, so many short-term views here...

Human mythological landscape is waaaaay richer than that, Piper. I'll try to explain, and for the need of it, I'll have to put religion and myth in the same bag (no offense meant to any believer, as Pratchett said, all religions possess the Truth, for a certain degree of Truth).

The belief in a "Beyond" comes from a very old concern and is not exactly related to religion or myth. Death is the only certainty in the Universe, as far as us, living, sensient (and sometimes intelligent) beings are concerned. It is also, by far, its greater mystery. We cannot possibly fathom what lies Beyond unless we experience it for good (don't talk about NDE's, please, or ask neuro-scientists about it), and all we can do is, from a philosophical/religious point of view, put some metaphors around it, to alleviate the feeling of loss that always go along with death.

There's two phenomenons common with the attempts to explain the concept of death, in mythologies. The first one is the "reification" or "personification" of death, as a self-aware character. Thus, we have Charon and Thanatos in Greek Mythology, Anubis and Osiris in Aegyptian Mythology, etc. The second phenomenon is the existence of a "Beyond", a place where the dead go when, well, they're dead.

I would like to point out that, apart from the Buddhism, there's always at least two of such places. In Greek Mythology, there're the Underworld and the Elysian Fields. In Norse Mythology, there're also an Underworld and a Whalall (or Valhalla, or whatever way it's written). So Christianity is not so different in that regard. The poles are just being different. From a Heroic-Common dichotomy in most polytheist religions, we have come to a Good-Evil dichotomy in monotheist religions. With a tremendous invention from the Catholic Church, that is the Purgatory (a place where the dead may come to dwell to atone for their sins to deserve access to Heavens), which was a wonderful commercial stroke to draw more converts.

The "Great Beyond" is not so easily described.

So, to get back to the topic, if the Underworld is neutral, it is so in the sense that "common" people go there. Special people always go to special places (I mean, according to mythologies). Being special means being heroic, being holy, being an unbeliever, being damned, etc.

In the context of Eternal Lands, either we're all common (woohoo, I'm so gonna get flamed), either we're all special (since we are creating/building characters according to our specific beliefs/desires/drives/urges/whatever pushes us forward). So the Underworld as it is feels quite enough to me. Besides, it's warm and dark, comfy as I like it for m'time off. :)

In the context of Eternal Lands, either we're all common (woohoo, I'm so gonna get flamed), either we're all special (since we are creating/building characters according to our specific beliefs/desires/drives/urges/whatever pushes us forward). So the Underworld as it is feels quite enough to me. Besides, it's warm and dark, comfy as I like it for m'time off. :mace:
actually, I think there's another option. as far as I can recall, there's not much in the storylines that tells us what happened after death before the curse of mortos. perhaps, until that time, there were 2 other places that the good/evil hero/common man/woman (hey, whatever) went to.

it could be that the underworld, realm of mortos, was only inhabited by him (and p'raps visitors, willing or not), and the curse is what started people going there

also, comparison to terran religion won't ever work perfectly, since there is a real and proven re-incarnation as the same being on draia. few terran religions say you will come back to earth after you death, and those that do, AFAIK, all say it'll be as someone, or something, else

but I do agree that parts of the underworld is good enough for EL (parts, since you visit a different part under irilion than under seridia, and probably more under other places)

edits: yay for tpyos!(sic)

Edited by ttlanhil