Eternal Lands Official Forums
Infamous

C / C++

If youre trying to learn C and can still deal with such old fashioned things like books, the "Bible" written by Kerningham/Ritchie "The C Programming Language", 2nd edition, is a big help.

It is a very useful reference for C, not a tutorial, with good examples and explanations.

Piper

Best way to learn is to have books with basics. Do lots of programming and then buy one of 'Bibles' or big, ugly, evil books that contains all needed knowledge.

I think this is a pretty good site, personally:

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

The only problem with this tutorial is that there are no exercises...so if you're a person who learns by doing, like me, you'll need something else to help you along too.

If you forget a command, this is a useful quick-look up:

http://www.cppreference.com/

And if you do get a book, I've had pretty good success with "Teach Yourself C++" from IDG Books (ISBN: 0-7645-4634-1).

Edited by Tanyia

Learning C or C++ ?

Two very different languages.

Although C++ is (mostly) a superset of C, treating it as such ends up with bad code. C++ carries a lot of baggage from its precedant.

If you want to learn C++, then learn Java first rather than C. The translation from Java to (good) C++ is easier than from C to C++!

Actually, if you want to learn both C and C++, then go Java -> C++ -> C.

Avoid overly helpful IDEs (Integrated Development Environments) when learning. These hide away a lot of the detail which you will need to know when things go wrong. A simple editor and command line compiler or interpretor (depending on language), keeps you in touch with what you are doing. Use the IDE only when you can explain what it is doing for you.

I recommend C++ which i started learning recently, get C++ for dummies (book)

I don't know how far along you are with your learing but when you feel comfortable with it, I found a site that has some examples of some (very) basic programs. Interactive C++, first you will have to click on C++, then you can check out some basic programs and the source code.

Hope this helps.

There is also a book which people have put online via html or pdf its a semi popular book called 'Learn C++ in 21 Days'. It has a good beginning.

But with all C++ books and language if you do not understand binary or bits and dont understand how things work at this low level then you will have a hard time understanding the basics.

Though if you take the advice of Java, then you could disregard C and C++ and come help on me game. Though my advice is a good book for programming as web things can get a little bit aggrivating switching from window to window rather than glancing up then glancing down.