Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

Pre-compiled Client for download

News! 2006-04-30: New version of the installer available, to fix a bug where the new client was not downloaded. elc_extras.exe

News! There's now an installer to grab the files you want: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/elc_extras.exe (and only 146Kb!)

Legality: There are several clients available via the installer. Only one can't be used on the main server, but you really can't... it won't let you. There's more info in the installer when you select clients to install, but basically, they're all legal to use, and just have different levels of experimental stuff

download and run from wherever you like. it doesn't have to be in your EL folder.

there are 3 options when you run this program. you can install the source of the installer (for those who are interested in NSIS)

you can download the EL music. note that this will only download songs you don't have yet, as well as the playlists. for those who have downloaded the music more than a few days ago (as of feb 21), it is suggested that you redownload those songs manually (or delete them and the installer will get them again). the music files have recently been updated

the full install of music is quite large (currently about 63Mb). the installer will get any files you don't have yet, so don't select it if you're on a slow connection and/or don't want to leave it going long

the installer currently downloads only from the US mirror since it only gets individual songs (.ogg files are already strongly compressed; if you have only 1 of the songs and download the full zip again, it'll take more download time anyway)

and you can download my client. each time you select to download my client it will get the latest version. even if you already have it. so it's better to only use it when I announce a new version

it will also download the .dll's needed for my client if they're not found, and put an entry in your start menu for my client

as yet, it can't download text files like commands.lst. right-click on this link and save it to your EL directory

you'll now also need \languages\en\strings\channels.xml

right-click and save to `C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\languages\en\strings\`

all files are still available for normal download (well, they have to be). the original post is below:

Warning: do not download anything until you read the entire post.

this client is provided so that people can test the newer stuff.

it is unmodified from the official source. that means you can use it on the main server.

you also get the fun of newer features, but that comes with some cost.

• this client may be less stable than what you already have (conversely, it may be more stable as bugs are fixed).
    it may also be slower or use more memory than the client you already have.
    if that's not okay by you, don't use it.

• if you find a bug, you report it, and you note that you're using this client

• you must read, understand, and follow the instructions in this post.

if something is unclear then ask for clarification, by all means. just as long as you did read it

now for the fun part :D

you may download my build from here: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/elc_ttlanhil.exe

if you have not downloaded my build of cal3d, you can get that here: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/cal3d_ttlanhil.dll

if the client complains about not having libpng13.dll, you can get that here: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/libpng13.dll

and if the client complains about not having msvcp71.dll, you can get it here: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/msvcp71.dll (only needed for older versions of windows)

if you don't have commands.lst, you can download it from here: commands.lst

all of these files are to be downloaded into your EL directory. right-click; save-as. they don't need to be unzipped or anything, they're ready to go

the exe and cal3d lib have _ttlanhil in the name so that they don't overwrite the official releases.

you can add this version to your start menu, put a shortcut on desktop, whatever you like. but however you curently load EL will continue to use the official release

apart from bugs and such, the following changes are of note:

• #current_song
    this command will give the title (or filename, if there is no title) and artist (if available) of the currently playing ogg. this requires you to use the client to play music (if you don't, it's completely safe. just useless)

• "Fix" for invisible map borders
    on certain maps, when you get near the edge, the camera no longer followed you (it would stay a certain distance from edge of the map). that's changed

• PNG screenshots are enabled. press ctrl+P to save a screenshot (if you have more than a thousand, it will over-write the last one saved)

and a known bug: particle will move a lot faster than they should. not sure what the exact cause is. please don't report this one :)

for the people who are itching to ask about the offline buddy support client I made previously: it worked fine. it's in this client, but won't do much until the server supports offline clients (the remembering people who went offline that was in the tests has been disabled, you won't see offline buddies)

and for the curious geeks:

CVS as of 2006-02-19

MSVC 2003

-DELC -DPNG_SCREENSHOT -DWIDGETS_FIX -DNEW_FRUSTUM -DNETWORK_THREAD -DBUG_FIX_3D_OBJECTS_MIN_MAX -DOPTIONS_I18N -DUSE_FRAMEBUFFER -DATI_9200_FIX -DNEW_TEX -DNEW_ACTOR_ANIMATION -DCOMMAND_BUFFER -DAUTO_UPDATE

Edited by ttlanhil

new version is now available (only the exe is changed, and there are no other changes than below)

- music playing has been fixed

this was done by including the music libraries into the client, rather than refering to them (static vs dll).

this has made the client a slightly larger download

ed: another update. squish that AFK bug again (Expression: (unsigned)(c+1)<=256). apparently trying to get it the nice way earlier didn't work :D

Edited by ttlanhil

EDIT: i got an error when it downloaded it doesnt start... heres what it says on the error_log

[08:43:58] Error: Can't open file "el.ini"

[08:43:58] Failure reading el.ini

uhh whats the problem??

EDIT2: Uh... it works now thats odd... :devlish:

Edited by RolandR1

bug1sk.png

I got this while trying to take a screenie with the ctrl-P thingy.

Edit: I was able to reproduce it.

Edited by Dunian

EDIT: i got an error when it downloaded it doesnt start... heres what it says on the error_log

[08:43:58] Error: Can't open file "el.ini"

[08:43:58] Failure reading el.ini

uhh whats the problem??

EDIT2: Uh... it works now thats odd... :icon13:

can't open el.ini but it can open the error log? hmm... (and this is a non-critical problem. it'll just make a new copy of el.ini. if you had a crash or it wouldn't load, this isn't the cause)

bug1sk.png

meh... okay, I'll see if I can find the problem

now available: an automated downloader. see the first post for more information

meh... okay, I'll see if I can find the problem

unfortunately I've not been able to reproduce the problem.

that doesn't mean I don't know what the problem is, however. the error message and the fact that the screenshot is made means that something in the screenshot code is using more memory than it has been given. I just dunno where this is happening.

has anyone else encountered this?

And now for something slightly different!

here's another client, but this one is not clean-cvs(you can't use it on the main server). it has a number of patches applied to it (Included are: extra pan/zoom, the mini-inv patch (forum topic 23093), auto-length encyc pages, and berlios patches 489, 604, 684, 756, 801, 809, & 833)

elc_ttlanhil_test.exe

you'll need the same support files as before

as to the screenshot warning... I don't know the cause. but I'm told that it will continue to work after you take the screenshot. so it's usable, even if it is annoying

Trying the test gives me an error, my computer can't find vorbisfile_d.dll, and I can't find it in your post to download it. Any suggestions?

Trying the test gives me an error, my computer can't find vorbisfile_d.dll, and I can't find it in your post to download it. Any suggestions?

aww, heck... yeah, I'll re-upload shortly

aww, heck... yeah, I'll re-upload shortly

re-uploaded. the right type of build this time. so it should work fine. although it's slightly larger now

While installing the client, I got this error. I'm not sure what it meas, but when I pressed ok it let me continue.

it's 'fixed' now. the installer will pop up a notice instead of that error if the file isn't found. anyone who doesn't have it should get it from the link in the first post of this thread

Now I get this error:
:ph34r: anything in error_log to indicate what file it can't find?

The file is on the screenie I guess, but this is the only error line in the log: [22:27:30] Failed to load wav file
the file in the screenie is actually where in the code the problem came up, rather than the file it was trying to load

AFAIK, EL should be able to handle files being missing like this; but the debug info means that it'll pop up notices about such warnings

hopefully you can ignore that error and continue.

I've made another build, this time with optimisations instead of debug info. it should stop the warnings

I wasn't able to ignore because it everytimes pop-uped again, but I will try your new exe :D

Edit: Everything works fine now, great work all devs ... I like the statsbars in hud, but I would like to have them a little lighter so the numbers on it should be better readable (but it's not a need though).

Edited by Cycloonx

I like the statsbars in hud, but I would like to have them a little lighter so the numbers on it should be better readable (but it's not a need though).
talk to drakos about that :D

new version of the clean-cvs client now up, as well as a new installer. you'll need a new file, the list of channel names. links are all in the top post

new versions are up of both .exe's

there are a few changes in CVS, so updating the normal one is worth it if you're using it

there are a lot more patches included in the test one now, as well as updated CVS

Umm, maybe I missed a link, but It can't seem to find vorbisfile_d.dll

Umm, maybe I missed a link, but It can't seem to find vorbisfile_d.dll

we need a ranting icon, for things like this... I've fixed this many times, yet MSVC doesn't seem to like it when things get fixed...

I'll upload again shortly

ed: the heck? it was already fixed... oh well, more thoroughly now, I guess, and new version of the test one up (since it seems that the clean one wouldn't be able to do the debug libs at all)

Edited by ttlanhil

well, it has been a while... new versions of both up! I haven't added new patches to the experimental one, but both benefit from the recent changes in CVS (including the kill counter and some bug fixen (including the alt+tab bug))

same deal as before, you can get the clean one with my downloader, lemme know about any errors, and if you're reporting a bug some time be sure to mention that it's my build and not the last release or whatever