Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

Need people to help test a new feature

This client consists of CVS as of 2005-01-18 plus initial offline buddy support.

what to expect:

the client won't remember who was on your list the last time you logged on, but when people log off EL they will instead get a greyed name on your list. You won't get a 'buddy logged off' message during the client-only test (next upload will have this added, however)

note: completely deleting a buddy will still cause it to appear as a greyed-out offline buddy until you reload your client. this is expected during testing

right-click to edit offline buddies is disabled. you can still delete offline buddies using #del_buddy

In order to be able to use this build, you will need to have the new data files; as can be found in the release candidates. if you have made a copy of your EL dir to keep the release candidate seperate, then install this stuff to that directory

you can download the client from here (new version:18th jan)

you will also need to download my build of Cal3D (if you used my CVS clients back before 1.1.0 came out and still have the .dll then simply renaming it may allow you to use that one)

some people who have an older operating system may get an error that 'msvcp71.dll' is missing. if so, grab it from here

if you don't have commands.lst, you can download it from here (direct link into CVS... simply right-click and save to EL directory)

any of these you download must go into your EL directory. that will likely be C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\

this client includes the option to take screenshots directly from EL (using ctrl+p). if you don't have 'libpng13.dll' on your system, you can grab it from here

If you use this client and find bugs, please report them to me ingame or in this thread. if there's a new bug from using this client, but it doesn't seem like it should be caused by this change, still report it here.

if it's something unrelated, then it'll still be known

the patch was announced earlier in this thread in the programming section

for reference, this client was compiled on MSVC 2003, with the following list of defines:

ELC; PNG_SCREENSHOT; WIDGETS_FIX; NEW_FRUSTUM; NETWORK_THREAD; BUG_FIX_3D_OBJECTS_MIN_MAX; NEW_TEX; OPTIONS_I18N; USE_FRAMEBUFFER; NEW_ACTOR_ANIMATION; COMMAND_BUFFER; USE_BBOX; ATI_9200_FIX

Edited by ttlanhil

your build wanted MSVCR71D.dll and MSVCP71D.dll before it would run. I found them at http://www.dll-files.com. Hopefully they haven't been tampered with.

Had this happen a couple times while sitting doing nothing

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\elc_ttlanhil_buddytest.exe
File: isctype.c
Line: 68

Expression: (unsigned)(c + 1) <= 256

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application)

Random standard info: win2k sp4, amd athlon xp 2100+, 1gig ram, GeForce4 Ti4600 with drivers vers. 81.98

And my error_log.txt

Log started at 2006-01-17 09:28:50

Error: Can't open file "./textures/fontv.bmp"
unknown frame property "CAL_idle3"
unknown frame property "CAL_pain3"
unknown frame property "CAL_die3"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle5.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle6.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle7.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/items12.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/items13.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "./textures/items14.bmp"
Error: Can't open file "quest.log"
Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

Aside from that, it works pretty good.

Seems that you are missing the "commands.lst" (whatever that is...)

I don't know what that is, but that error and all the ones before it show up in the log well before it hit the assert so who knows.

Wtf is the "commands.lst"?

It looks like ttlanhil's compiling with -DCOMMAND_BUFFER. commands.lst is in cvs.

your build wanted MSVCR71D.dll and MSVCP71D.dll before it would run. I found them at http://www.dll-files.com. Hopefully they haven't been tampered with.

them too? hmm. thought it was only the one dll. this is generally normal though, because I use a pretty new version of MS's compiler, so sometimes the dll's required on older computers aren't there yet

Expression: (unsigned)(c + 1) <= 256

whoops, I shoulda dealt with that too. yes, that's a kinda old bug (while doing nothing, though? I only get it when AFK)

Error: Can't open file "quest.log"
Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

pretty standard, not related to the buddy list, so it's okay

I'll put up a link to commands.lst (knew I shoulda posted the defines I used :( yes this is COMMAND_BUFFER), those DLLs, and a new executable with that assert's bugfix

edit: :D the 'd' at the end of those dlls should have told me right away what the problem was... I posted the debug version instead of the release one! new version up... it should also get rid of that assert warning above (however the debugging information is also gone, so if it does still show up then the error won't be well explained)

Edited by ttlanhil

downloaded it - it opened up, MS-DOS console window, and then - closed without anything else.

oh eck, not again... okay, 2min, I know what's wrong (error during upload...)

ed: okay, uploaded it again

Edited by ttlanhil

downloaded it - it opened up, MS-DOS console window, and then - closed without anything else.

oh eck, not again... okay, 2min, I know what's wrong (error during upload...)

ed: okay, uploaded it again

getting a little further now - getting as far as a "such and such has encountered an error" message...

getting a little further now - getting as far as a "such and such has encountered an error" message...

bleh... details? missing dlls? how far into loading does it get? anything interesting in error_log, etc?

ed: and you downloaded into your EL dir and ran from there, right?

are you using a renamed version of the cal3d dll?

Edited by ttlanhil

crashes on startup

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x0042e59c in elc-clean!CalModel_GetAttachedMesh ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0042e59c in elc-clean!CalModel_GetAttachedMesh ()
#1  0x007451a0 in ?? ()
#2  0x01b72bf8 in ?? ()
#3  0x7ffdf000 in ?? ()
#4  0x00434abd in elc-clean!CalModel_GetAttachedMesh ()
#5  0x0042dd7c in elc-clean!CalModel_GetAttachedMesh ()
#6  0x00695520 in ?? ()
#7  0x40a00000 in ?? ()
#8  0x7c590b1a in KERNEL32!GetModuleFileNameA ()
  from C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
#9  0x7c598989 in ProcessIdToSessionId () from C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
#10 0x00000000 in ?? () from

error_log.txt only gets as far as

Log started at 2006-01-17 21:21:55

*rant**rave**microsoft* MSVC decided it wanted the optimisations turned on after I turned them off...

kay, those who don't have a P4 with SSE2 will need to wait for the next upload, due in 5min or so

new version of the exe is up (and I've re-d/l-ed it and tested to make sure there's no upload error this time :P ) without the high-end optimisations

there's also a newer cal3d dll up, but you do not need to get it(I turned some basic optimisations on, so it's a bit smaller and hopefully faster... not the high-end ones though)

Edited by ttlanhil

bleh... details? missing dlls? how far into loading does it get? anything interesting in error_log, etc?

ed: and you downloaded into your EL dir and ran from there, right?

are you using a renamed version of the cal3d dll?

Downloaded to my test_update directory (copied version of my regular client w/ RC-4), I should have all you put up top that I needed. Also, my system is WinXP Pro, SP2. AMD AthlonXP 2000+, so THERE was the problem (*rant*bleepin' Pentiums!)

EDIT: I was just about to post details from this debugging tool...

Edited by Arnieman

crashes on startup

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x0042e59c in elc-clean!CalModel_GetAttachedMesh ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0042e59c in elc-clean!CalModel_GetAttachedMesh ()

now, this may have been the same optimisation error, but... this looks strangely similar to when I ran the exec in my cvs directory... which has the actor_defs (since they're in CVS) but not the meshes... you did download to your EL directory where the data is, right?

now, this may have been the same optimisation error, but... this looks strangely similar to when I ran the exec in my cvs directory... which has the actor_defs (since they're in CVS) but not the meshes... you did download to your EL directory where the data is, right?

I did, but I've also put a lot of random stuff in there so... clean install + RC4 + your stuff. Sorry if I wasted your time with an erroneous bug report, it won't happen again.

I did, but I've also put a lot of random stuff in there so... clean install + RC4 + your stuff. Sorry if I wasted your time with an erroneous bug report, it won't happen again.

nah, s'okay, I've made a similar mistake... it probably took me about 2 months to figure out why the client would run when launched by explorer, but not when run from MSVC (solution? set the working directory) :P

plus I've had error reports far worse than this, don't wrry about it :)

The Accept Buddy dialog box doesn't always work. Sometimes the text colors are wrong and sometimes I notice an extra garbage character at the end of the name. I usually get "That player is not online or too many players with that name." but I've also gotten "The arguments to accept_buddy can max be 15 characters long" a couple times. Manually using the #accept_buddy command always works without problems.

Edited by Espresso_Boy

The Accept Buddy dialog box doesn't always work. Sometimes the text colors are wrong and sometimes I notice an extra garbage character at the end of the name. I usually get "That player is not online or too many players with that name." but I've also gotten "The arguments to accept_buddy can max be 15 characters long" a couple times. Manually using the #accept_buddy command always works without problems.

hmm, interesting... I saw that error a long long time ago, but I always use the command version so I didn't see it much

this seems to be an error in how MSVC sets memory ranges (it's not only a problem here, and this isn't the result of the buddy change). I'll look into it and should have a fix for this later on

ed:I found where the problem was... I want to check with the person who wrote that particular fuction before I know my fix is right though

re-ed:I checked, made slight adustments, and it has now been fixed in CVS... all MSVC users can benefit from it :P it wasn't memory management, but not properly checking return values in a function, for those keeping score ^_^

Edited by ttlanhil

Dunno if this is bug or expected, but just to note (BTW, it's working for me afre the most recent updating of this test client):

I added a buddy (ttlanhil), and set the name blue (ok, probably not that big a deal). Anyway, he (you :P) logged off shortly thereafter, and there was no "So-and-so has logged off." message as there usually is. Noted same thing with another buddy with a blue name (Dunian).

I don't think this is connected to the color - I also had a buddy whose name is white (ok, actually, it was just my alternate) because I didn't change it. There's log on dialog when he is added to my list, but no log off dialogue there either.

I added a buddy (ttlanhil), and set the name blue (ok, probably not that big a deal). Anyway, he (you :P) logged off shortly thereafter, and there was no "So-and-so has logged off." message as there usually is. Noted same thing with another buddy with a blue name (Dunian).

it also won't give you a message about people who log back on, who have the grey names

the server normally sends a 'buddy gone' message when they log off, get deleted, whatever.

for the purposes of testing a client-only version, I've disabled the ability to do this; it instead logs them as a colour change (but the offline colour is a 'special' number, for those who raised an eyebrow).

ed: I noted it above, this will also be fixed for the next upload

to everyone

a big thanks goes out to all who have helped with this.

that includes everyone who has tried the patch or ran the client I compiled; but won't include those who ask questions already answered above(yes, I've already had someone ask 3 questions already covered in the first post)

even if you don't have a bug report, please post here, so I know how well tested it is. you don't need to be able to say there's no bugs, but if you've used it for an hour and none showed up, that's helpful too

Edited by ttlanhil