Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

'offline' contacts in buddy list

Is this a precursor to being able to see an entire buddy list (including offline folks) in the future? I think people have a problem knowing who is on the buddy list in it's entirety, not ones who have logged on then off in a player's onetime log-in session. Either I'm missing something, or I don't quite see the point to this patch.

Is this a precursor to being able to see an entire buddy list (including offline folks) in the future? I think people have a problem knowing who is on the buddy list in it's entirety, not ones who have logged on then off in a player's onetime log-in session. Either I'm missing something, or I don't quite see the point to this patch.

It provides a basis for server support.

patch which works without server support, it will also be able to support a server-based version

currently making names go grey when someone logs off is a 'hack' that will be removed if/when the server-side work is available. removing that part is all that's required to make the patch support server-side offline buddies (unless changes are needed because of implementation, of course)

So:

--When the server gets support to show an entire buddy list (including all offline players on it) to us, this is the patch that we would need then anyway.

--Right now, the best we can get (because the server doesn't support more) is the current above mentioned greyed out names of people on our buddy list who have logged in then out while we are in our own current log-in session.

Does that sumarize it correctly?

Does that sumarize it correctly?

pretty much; testing the client-side part now means that it'll be tested and ready to go immediately that the server is ready

there's a new version of the patchup now, which prepares to do away with the timer check when adding/removing buddies, since server-side offline buddies means they'll never log on/off in the current sence. (this is only a series of "//BUDDY-FIXME" comments before the lines to delete)

it also re-adds the buddy logged off/on message to the new approach, of when the colour changes (to/from offline)

to the player, no change will be noticed... unless they have seen a list of 'X logged on' when they connected

since this thread was recently referenced in a now locked thread, i'll put the latest news here

the client support is done, the next client update will bring it to all people. adding server support should only take 10-15min (I don't know the server, but I know what changes are needed for this patch), but needs to be done after the client update reaches everyone

adding server support should only take 10-15min (I don't know the server, but I know what changes are needed for this patch)

Unfortunately that does not guarantee that it will actually be done anytime soon.