Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
algunar

new type of invasion, on forts

As well as a normal invasion where players fight monsters, there could be another where players defend a fort against monsters.

basically i got this idea from the battle of helms deep in lotr. players try to defend the fort by kiling th monsters. if they dont, the monsters break through the walls of the fort and kill the helpless victims in the keep, and the monsters win and the invasion ends. if they do, the monsters die and the players each get a reward automatically when the invasion ends, according to how many monsters they killed. i dont know who the helpless victims could be, maybe temporary npcs/bots or noobs who get payed for being there. if npcs/bots, they would have material points just like players and they cant fight back if the monsters reach them. only the players can defend them.

when the invasion begins, there could be a health bar/material points added to the walls of the fort. each time a monster hits the wall, the wall loses health/material points. the number of mat. points taken off the wall could be decided by the type of monster eg.cyclops takes off 10, goblin takes off 5. players will then have to decide which monster to attack first. once the wall is broken, monsters attack the next wall, eventually getting to the wall of the keep.

the invasion would be set in 1 map, as a fortress cant move maps. the map could be whitestone city, tarsengaard, nordcarn, and maybe have a mini fort invasion on the forts in morcraven marsh.

not only will this invasion give xp to players, but a money reward too.

i forgot to use the search function before typing this, and i didnt want to lose all this writing, so if its been already suggested then im sorry. ill search right after posting this.

As well as a normal invasion where players fight monsters, there could be another where players defend a fort against monsters.

basically i got this idea from the battle of helms deep in lotr. players try to defend the fort by kiling th monsters. if they dont, the monsters break through the walls of the fort and kill the helpless victims in the keep, and the monsters win and the invasion ends. if they do, the monsters die and the players each get a reward automatically when the invasion ends, according to how many monsters they killed. i dont know who the helpless victims could be, maybe temporary npcs/bots or noobs who get payed for being there. if npcs/bots, they would have material points just like players and they cant fight back if the monsters reach them. only the players can defend them.

when the invasion begins, there could be a health bar/material points added to the walls of the fort. each time a monster hits the wall, the wall loses health/material points. the number of mat. points taken off the wall could be decided by the type of monster eg.cyclops takes off 10, goblin takes off 5. players will then have to decide which monster to attack first. once the wall is broken, monsters attack the next wall, eventually getting to the wall of the keep.

the invasion would be set in 1 map, as a fortress cant move maps. the map could be whitestone city, tarsengaard, nordcarn, and maybe have a mini fort invasion on the forts in morcraven marsh.

not only will this invasion give xp to players, but a money reward too.

Interesting idea, however impossible to implement at the moment (as I read in other posts it's just impossible to cause any interaction with map elements, like walls, trees, chairs, etc. at the moment).

Paying newbies to play innocent victims sounds very very doubtful to me. I would say NEVER to this idea. Not that I don't think some would agree, but cos it depreciate them.

Considering all points - nope, it won't work. Sorry. I don't think I like it.

i forgot to use the search function before typing this, and i didnt want to lose all this writing, so if its been already suggested then im sorry. ill search right after posting this.

Man, if you wouldn't have written it, nobody would say a word, but writing it you messed. This is probably worse excuse I've heard ever. You just said - I would do it, but just didn't feel like this. Gush!

Edited by vanyel

Hmmm and now a note from the opposite side of the fence lol :whistle:

I like the idea, but then again, I've been a bigger fan of fighting monsters than people anyway.

The biggest issue of course is the programming. A programmer would have to look this over and see how feasable it would be to implement.

Awww vanyel, that was a very nice apology. Honest and at least it wasn't something suggested 100 times before :P

Paying newbies to play innocent victims sounds very very doubtful to me. I would say NEVER to this idea

i did suggest temporary npcs/bots too.

Paying newbies woudl be easier to do, though. Bots are problem - look bots' rules. NPC - awww, we need them - zillion of them for the quests, shops, storages, etc. in the Irilion :P

Note: Aislinn ---> :hiya:

Paying newbies woudl be easier to do, though. Bots are problem - look bots' rules. NPC - awww, we need them - zillion of them for the quests, shops, storages, etc. in the Irilion :P

Note: Aislinn ---> :hiya:

Sadly there is a limit on NPCs we can use so this would be a problem..

I think the idea is not bad, and it can work now if we change a few things. Like if we get ride of the idea's of the walls and just have it in normall forts like the onces in kf and mm, and then a mod can make a new playyer and play the victum and stand near the back of the fort. Then the monsters would be summoned like a normally invvasion but if the mod die's we loss the invasion, the only problem with that is monster are dumb and just walk anywhere, so the chances of them actually walking in the fort are small unless there summoned really close to the fort and then there would be to many monster for the players to kill, so it could be done, but proberly wouldn't work to well with out better AI programed for the monsters

when the invasion begins, there could be a health bar/material points added to the walls of the fort
as I read in other posts it's just impossible to cause any interaction with map elements, like walls, trees, chairs, etc. at the moment

maybe monsters could come along wiv ladders and climb over the walls instead of attacking them. then players would have to kill all monsters that climb up.

when the invasion begins, there could be a health bar/material points added to the walls of the fort
as I read in other posts it's just impossible to cause any interaction with map elements, like walls, trees, chairs, etc. at the moment

so why make the walls part of the map?

if, instead, the walls were actually bots or something (though we still would need models made for them... I was going to say NPCs, but I don't think monsters would attack NPCs normally), and they had really HUGE health and didn't fight back(and couldn't be healed), this would make the monsters have to stop and fight... mind you, without ranged weapons, those players behind can't fight until the monsters break through, and the monsters would be just as happy to attack a wall as go past it to fight a player...

Why not just have a Gate that the monsters destroy to get into the fort? we wouldnt have to make any new maps cause theres plenty of towns,cities and forts with gate enterances. It would be better to wait until ranged weapons are useable in the game so that players can use tactics (archer on wall,Swordmen on stairs to wall,Spearmen on gate, Mages and summoners where needed.) and having newbies or volunteers play victim would be best, but there could be a NPC who plays "General" "knight" "king" "queen" or something of the sort that the monsters fight there way towards and try to kill. We lose if they kill the NPC or Win if the monsters are defeated lol (invasions for dummies book rofl)

Why not just have a Gate that the monsters destroy to get into the fort? we wouldnt have to make any new maps cause theres plenty of towns,cities and forts with gate enterances.

Excellent idea.

...and having newbies or volunteers play victim would be best, but there could be a NPC who plays "General" "knight" "king" "queen" or something of the sort that the monsters fight there way towards and try to kill. We lose if they kill the NPC or Win if the monsters are defeated lol (invasions for dummies book rofl)

This is a good idea too, that way you can still have as many or few volunteers as available or willing at any given time and still go ahead with the invasion.

Fully destructable enviroments would be WEIRD. And Vanyel, you sound like Simon from American Idol if anyone reading this post knows who he is :) If we could "interact" with the enviroment, the game would be messed up. What next? Mountains? The rocks aren't really that tall.

Fully destructable enviroments would be WEIRD. And Vanyel, you sound like Simon from American Idol if anyone reading this post knows who he is :hug: If we could "interact" with the enviroment, the game would be messed up. What next? Mountains? The rocks aren't really that tall.

I missed the point about Simon :)

If you would read my post you would know what I've written exactly. I wrote that AT THE MOMENT (other meanings: nowadays, now) this is impossible.

It would be better to wait until ranged weapons are useable in the game

so roughly when will this be?

probably not for a long time, judging by how long ranged weapons have been planned... better to find a way around this problem than wait

So your saying that we would have to wait trapped :( in a walled area with monsters wanting to kill us :blink: and doing nothing but waiting for them to break the gate? Well i think theres an easier proposition than that. but it will require patience...

We can wait until a WEAK spell is developed that does the exact same thing as the 'Harm' spell but it randomly takes away hit points like the spell 'Remote Heal' randomly restores health but the most damage it can do is 10, 1 being the weakest. I call it....FIREBALL!!! it could require 1 fire essence and 1 magic essence along with 15 mana points. lol just a suggestion if you cant wait for ranged weapons to be made.

So your saying that we would have to wait trapped in a walled area with monsters wanting to kill us and doing nothing but waiting for them to break the gate?

no no no! it could be that players can pass through the gate, but the monsters cant. then players wont have to do any waiting at all. it could be just like passing through a door, waiting until the little door opening symbol comes up, then clicking on the door to go through it. this could also mean players can come back inside for supplies and stuff.

whats taking them so long to put ranged weapons in the game anyway?

Edited by algunar

Why not just have a Gate that the monsters destroy to get into the fort?

this may not be able to work as vanyel said earlier:

Interesting idea, however impossible to implement at the moment (as I read in other posts it's just impossible to cause any interaction with map elements, like walls, trees, chairs, etc. at the moment

Instead, how about a time limit where once it reaches zero, the monsters can pass through the gate. this is pretty much the same as monsters destroying a gate since it will take them time to break through. it should be easier than having a destructable gate. it could be that the time limit only decreases while there is a monster within a certain distance from the gate. so players will have to think tactically, and go to a certain gate according to how many monsters are there.

Edited by algunar

whats taking them so long to put ranged weapons in the game anyway?

Its a programming difficulty, and to be quite honest I do not think anyone has submitted a good way to pull it off yet. Its not easy to build missle weapons into a 3d world and make it look good. A quick method to do this would simply have the player hold the bow and have arrows. One arrow disappears from the quiver and...this is the wrong post I suppose.

Edited by Brom

A quick method to do this would simply have the player hold the bow and have arrows. One arrow disappears from the quiver and...this is the wrong post I suppose.

no please go on...