Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Client release candidate 3

Works so far, noticed that the cooldown is blue now (Beats the red imo)

Edited by Dunian

So far working fine for me.

Although the bounce during combat is a bit disconcerting, I pity anybody who gets seasick.

And the blue seems a bit too bright.

Edit: I also notice that my map changes are faster but general game play has less fps, with jerky movements.

Edit: I have a mobility radeon 7500

While I could not get RC2 working on my compu, this one gave me no troubles at all :D

At first try it seems my frame rate is noticably lower than in the old client, but that could be my imagination. I only walked around a bit in MM. ;)

I noticed an old bug is still present in this build. Some buttons on the spell quickbar stopped working for my old client some time ago and I can't remove those spells from the quickbar with crtl-click either. I guess the new client took the spell quikcbar from my old client (I copied RC3 over a copy of my old client like I was told to) :(

I hope this can be fixed for the final release, because it is very frustrating that I can't use the restore spell from the quickbar. If someone can point out a way I can manualy reset the quickbar in the mean time that would be welcome too :)

Keep up the good work :)

I had the same issue with spellbar. Solution: close EL, go to EL directory and delete the spell_<character name> file (something like that). You'll be starting with a clean spell slate when you log on again, and the file will regenerate when you add to the tool bar.

Quoting myself from the Help Forum section, this should help you with the quickbar problems.

I've had the same problem with the spells - if a spell icon messes up, it will neither cast nor delete.

hmm - the nuclear solution if a spell gets messed up in the quickbar (and the only one that works that I know of):

1.) log out of EL.

2.) find "spells_<your char name>.dat" in your EL folder (default for Windows is C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\". For Linux it is usually located in /home/YourUsername/.elc/. (ty, Brom, for the Linux folder.)

3.) Totally DELETE the file.

4.) Re-login to EL, and put your spells back in correctly.

Guest Natural

Looking Good To Me, Don't Really Like The Blue For CoolDown However. Keep Up The Great Work!

I've made Linux build today (latest cvs), you can find it here: http://gnu.nu6.org:8000/files/el.x86.linux.bin . One note - it is optimized for pentium4 , so people with other CPUs should not try this binary. - It works pretty well, i've used that binary whole day, and I had no problems...

Second note - cal3d and openal ARE NOT statically linked into executable, so you need to install them all by yourself. Luckilly, there are packages of them around...

Edited by Vitez

using the cvs vitez built for me, works very very very good..

first thing i notice is A LOT faster map loading, everything seems smoother, the combat animations are finnaly seeable :D.. fun!

great work

I have encountered one small bug - on shields - texture is not well-mapped.

there are new textures and such in ent's update as well as binaries. grab it, unzip, grab the data files, and use them and it should be fixed :icon13:

okay so i downloaded the file and created a new copy of eternal lands into My Documents. Now i used winzip and to put the new files in the new Eternal Lands main folder and tried to open the client, logged on and its the same as before so i must be doing something wrong, any advice or info please?

never mind, a friend helped me, turned out when i extracted the files it put them into a new folder in my Eternal Lands one called test_update so i cut and pasted them into the main folder and its on so ill have a play about with it and see what i find and let you know

Edited by Blaki

Using the CVS client, compiled without -DNEW_WEATHER i saw one thing:

The first time i come to a lava place, like the catacombs in Naralik, i saw a strange flickerin on the lava, which stays for some seconds and was gone then.

It was reproducable, just relog and go to a lava place again to see the flickering.

Piper

I'm having a performance issue. Generally I limit fps to 15, as this keeps my laptop from heating up to much. It has an ATI Mobility 9600 graphics card. Assuming my system isn't heavily loaded I generally have no problem staying at 15fps with graphics options pretty much tweaked to max quality. Now I'm consistently falling into the five to seven frames per second range. With a 1.6GHz PentiumM and the 9600 this seems a wee bit low. In particular buildings and smoke from chimnies seem to be frame rate killers.

ATi Mobility Radeon 7500

Pentium 4 1.8 ghz

256mb RAM

Windows Xp

having trouble with trees, meshes seem to jump around alot and form spikes jutting this way and that. (in tirnwood, the big trees)

its very sluggish, running at about 6 fps.

i'll keep you posted on any other troubles i have!

Pennifuin

edit: ok i've switched to my fighter Norin_Oakenrage, hes running at 45 fps in votd. when it got more populated at storage, it dived way down to 22 fps.

Can we get a list of things that have been changed so that we can test them all to their fullest extent?

Edited by pennifuin

Testing on my GeForce chipset PC.

Working absolutely fine, great increase on performance.

The new weather is absolutely fabulous!

It seems to me that the buggyness affects the Radeon based cards.

I'll let you know how it is on my Radeon PC :whistle: lol

- SisteMa`

I'm having a performance issue. Generally I limit fps to 15, as this keeps my laptop from heating up to much. It has an ATI Mobility 9600 graphics card. Assuming my system isn't heavily loaded I generally have no problem staying at 15fps with graphics options pretty much tweaked to max quality. Now I'm consistently falling into the five to seven frames per second range. With a 1.6GHz PentiumM and the 9600 this seems a wee bit low. In particular buildings and smoke from chimnies seem to be frame rate killers.

I also have a laptop, same video card but an AMD 64 3000+

And I get over 80 FPS in most of the places, and it never went under 40. Try to change some options and stuff. Also, what resolution did you use?

the jail bars you step on in the SK castle (where the first ogre spawn is) look crappy. when they first (don't)appear on the screen it seems like there's nothing there. and then they suddenly become visible. it wasn't like this before

Edited by kibora

I generally run at 1280x1024. I've switched back to the current client just to be sure that I wasn't imagining things and it is indeed much faster for outside stuff.

I'll mess around with the graphics options and try to see if I can get a better idea of what is causing the slowdown.

OK, more information.

First of all, everything seems fine in the isometric view. I run in perspective with the following settings.

perspective .80

near plane 35

I also keep things as "straight on" as possible. IE, I'm trying to get as close as possible to a third person behind the shoulder view as I can.

Everything was fine out in the wilds of DP. Very smooth and I never dipped under my set limit of 15fps. Went to tars and hung out in the town. Saw the dropoff again. Decided to stand in one place and switch to the old client. Went from 9fps to 15fps when I wnt to the old client. Decided to test various video options.

I was standing at 198,256 and facing pretty much directly sw.

I toggled on and off all the various video options and only the following two made a difference.

cloud shadows: I went from 9fps to 10-11.

frame buffer support: No change in performance, but it seemed to trigger the ATI mouse pointer bug. IE, I had to do ctrl-mouse click to go any place when no in map view.

All tests were at 1280x1024. Hopefully this is somewhat useful. Please let me know if there is anything else I can try.

Should probably mention this is on Windows XP. Which will likely get me in bad with my LNX guild mates. :P

Guest Enyo

I'm using a GeForce Fx 5200 and Windows XP French Family Version and this new beta works great for me..The only thing that I noticed was different was in startup while still in dos..First time to have that error message. Here is an image of the message: el_dos.jpg Other than that, the game seems to run much smoother and the performance is improved allot. I also prefer the blue on the cooldown as opposed to the awful red or pink or whatever it is.

EDIT: I also just noticed some frozen movements, I don't know if its lag on my end or what but thought that I would mention it.

Edited by Enyo

Erm, well the new client runs really fine for me but I've experienced something I don't know if someone else has. When I get light fog in my screen (when I go to WSC or so), it follows me even inside buildings and other indoors. Piper told me that they should disappear after a while, but I had been waiting for like half an hour since I noticed it and the fog was stuck there :blink: and there it stays until I relog in a place with no fog. When I get fog in screen, even if I turn off the fog rendering, it goes away, but reappears as soon as I tick the option box on again (even if I'm indoors).

There's a proof screen, inside diamonds mine in WSC (if I log out in there and log in again, fog's gone, but comes back again as soon as I go outside:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/Mas...nds/Screen1.jpg

And this one inside Nordcarn's storage, look at the edge of the scenario: there's a cut there, that way it's easier to see the foggy inside:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/Mas...nds/Screen2.jpg