Eternal Lands Official Forums
Infamous

Mirror Image

With the new cooldown system i thought of something to reduce the mana use-age :)

a spell called Mirror image (for example)

when casting the mirror image spell you make up to 3 copies of urself that would act as summons (but they won't do damage though) so people can enter pk maps and when in a fight cast the spell so that the enemy is kinda confused and could attack a mirror image so you need to restore less and can fight longer. (more fun :))

the mirror image can't restore though cuz then it would be to hard to kill someone >.>

but the spell would take some time to charge after you casted it, else you are fighting 100's of mirror images at some point..

i think this idea would add more strategy to the game and i think it would make people pk again. :)

I love this idea, Though I think it could be simpler than you think. A spell that creates duplicates of yourself that do no damage. perhaps a max of 3 others. So your opponet would see four of you running around and unsure which one is the actual you.

Issues: It would be hard due to the fact that the images would be AI controlled so it would not be that hard for the person fighting you to find out which one is the real one and hurt it. It could be solved so that the Images wander around or attack and flee often and the player with the images would learn how to mimic the images so that he could blend in and escape better.

Extra note: This would make a good spell for fleeing, cast the spell in combat and you disengage then the images appear, you can flee while your enemy is confuzed. Neat! I hope you did not mind me adding to your idea.

Sounds cool, also be useful when walking through dangerous maps. Say you want a book from grunabi. Cast this and you got a much better cance of getting though alive.

oi i remembered about this topic when ppl started talking about invisibility spell..

this mirror image spell (could have another name too) would work great with the invisibility spell.

it definitly would add strategy to the pk part of the game.

could cast it while being invisible so your 2 mirror images get invisible too.. ur enemy won't know which 1 the real is if you and the images get visible. (the images can't heal and do dmg though, they would function as distraction and take the hits.)

now like lemonstar already said it would be usefull for the non pk part of the game.

could be high lvl magic required (a higher magic lvl would mean the images could take more dmg, so you have a reason to lvl magic besides invisibility :icon8:)

edit: Brom they could act like summons :)

Edited by Hardcore

like lemonstar said.. you cast mirror image in a dangerous map and you would have 2 or 3 images that would take the hits of monsters etc (maybe you can dis in the meantime and get away while the images still fight?)

D&D had a spell called "Mirror Image" (since c.1978) which was pretty much as described here.

Nothing wrong with plundering the ol'D&D books, everyone else seems to... :angry:

This is a great idea. This could be just like the D&D spell as someone mentioned. When an image is hit it automatically disappears. Monsters that you fight can just try and attack the closest image to them. That might be you or another image.

Yes i understand that much,but how will the monsters act to it.Will it effect them.Or will they just know wich one is you and kill you.scence they are NPC's

Since you want a technical explanation, let me give you a technical explanation that you probably won't follow anyway. Since (As stated above in the original idea) the mirror images would be treated as summons are treated, they would be simply presented as additional actors during the check for an attack by the hostile monsters. It would be to the hostile monsters as if 3 identical PC's just walked up to them. They would decide based on however the usually decide which one to attack. If it's a multi map, the real you could then gang up on the monster, if desired...

The beauty of this idea, IMHO, is the potential simplicity of implementation. Really, the identical code for managing summons could be used. The only difference is that the actor which is created is an adjusted copy of the player, rather than an animal or monster. The most difficult part of it should be creating the balance (necessary sigils, levels, SP cost).

Anwyay, I love the idea. :confused::dry::dry::dry:

The only concern i have is lag people all of you know probably know someone who is laggy what if 5 or 10 people go near a laggy person and did that they would lag out and get their bag or just keep annoying them while it s the same way with summoning too except summonning isnt as popular as magic

D&D had a spell called "Mirror Image" (since c.1978) which was pretty much as described here.

Nothing wrong with plundering the ol'D&D books, everyone else seems to... :icon13:

Superman had that "power" in the movie from 1978, who plundered who?

But I think it's a very good idea. It's good to give mages more to work with.

Nothing wrong with plundering the ol'D&D books, everyone else seems to... :icon13:

Superman had that "power" in the movie from 1978, who plundered who?

Well, it was the use of the name as well as the effect which was so familier to me. But okay, I thought I'd check:

The original D&D book "Swords & Spells" (TSR2007) dated 1976 lists the "Mirror Image" spell (p12). From the entry this would not be the original reference either.

Of course, D&D drew its inspiration from earlier works of fantasy, literature, myth, and film, so nothing is really original anymore. As a collection of work for detailed fantasy RPG though, it is all excellent reference material; hundreds of spells and items, magical properties of materials (mostly take from myth), and so on.

Please don't take this as belittling the suggestion though; it was good then and is now, and I must have used it many times over the years

:angry::mace::mean:

(which one is real?)

Edited by trollson

The only concern i have is lag people all of you know probably know someone who is laggy what if 5 or 10 people go near a laggy person and did that they would lag out and get their bag or just keep annoying them while it s the same way with summoning too except summonning isnt as popular as magic

that would be herassment and thus against the rules

yes there should be a spell like this. Make it a higher level spell so more people are mages because fighters view it as a "side" option

i love this idea :D:omg:

when i was n00b i wanted to be a mage and was very dissapointed when i found that all magic is in EL is a sidekick to a/d, if a good amount of spells like this were implemented it could add a whole new element to gameplay.

it could help not only in fleeing but also in killing, cast the spell while fighting someone and you have a couple copies of yourself to catch your victom's diss :rolleyes: