Eternal Lands Official Forums

Greetings all,

Since I'm currently working my way through the 1st round of chemistry exams, so I've gotten a lot of chem in my head... With the risk of seaming like a chem-geek, I propose a change in Alchemy and Potions to include some laboratory work.

My idea is that you'd have a small laboratory where you'd go mixing different substances using a new interface. This interface would have pots, glasses and you'd be able to access i.e. vials and other chemicals that are in your bank.

Now you'd have to extract substances from different plants, dirt and liquids to use for your potions. For instance, to create a basic salt (NaCl) you'd heat up water, untill there's only a heated substance left - to do this you'd start a fire, put the water in a pot (this would be the normal method for boiling), and then add a fire essence. Once that's extracted, you could create hydrochloric acid by pouring sulfuric acid on the salt. The different acids and bases would be used for extracting substances from i.e. herbs, which would then be used to create potions. When mixing the ingredients used for creating the different potions, you'd get n (i.e. 15) vials filled from each batch to make up for the longer creation time.

You'd be able to create recipés with max 6 different ingredients, and only some of the recipés would work - if you put in an item before something else, it might ruin the potion, or make it stronger. If you try making something using a recipé that doesn't exist, the result would be either a failed potion, or you could get lucky and get a very strong/rare potion...

Was just a random idea, but think it could be a hell of a lot more fun (and challenging) than clicking "Mix".

Greetings all,

Since I'm currently working my way through the 1st round of chemistry exams, so I've gotten a lot of chem in my head... With the risk of seaming like a chem-geek, I propose a change in Alchemy and Potions to include some laboratory work.

My idea is that you'd have a small laboratory where you'd go mixing different substances using a new interface. This interface would have pots, glasses and you'd be able to access i.e. vials and other chemicals that are in your bank.

Now you'd have to extract substances from different plants, dirt and liquids to use for your potions. For instance, to create a basic salt (NaCl) you'd heat up water, untill there's only a heated substance left - to do this you'd start a fire, put the water in a pot (this would be the normal method for boiling), and then add a fire essence. Once that's extracted, you could create hydrochloric acid by pouring sulfuric acid on the salt. The different acids and bases would be used for extracting substances from i.e. herbs, which would then be used to create potions. When mixing the ingredients used for creating the different potions, you'd get n (i.e. 15) vials filled from each batch to make up for the longer creation time.

You'd be able to create recipés with max 6 different ingredients, and only some of the recipés would work - if you put in an item before something else, it might ruin the potion, or make it stronger. If you try making something using a recipé that doesn't exist, the result would be either a failed potion, or you could get lucky and get a very strong/rare potion...

Was just a random idea, but think it could be a hell of a lot more fun (and challenging) than clicking "Mix".

I like the idea, but think it is too complicated for most of the EL players to enjoy.

Well, the more I think of it the more I want to do it - be it for EL or for something else :blush:

fight the boredom and simplicity of leveling! power to the complex potions! rah!

erm... I mean... sounds good. some players would find it complicated, but if it's put together okay then it's not much different from going and making one of each potion ingame

Lol, wytter, i got a similar idea some days ago.

It includes pots and stills you can "use" at a burning fireplace, a guy in VOTD who grinds ore to powder, soaking flowers and other stuff in liquids over night to distill the liquid later.

Would be a little bit more action for potion making and alchemy.

Piper

i like it and with some stuff you could make gunpowder that you can use in manu when you make dynamite and you could use them for harvesting when you need lots of stones in one minute but you would get -(minus)health cause the big boom makes you falling on the floor and that hurts

I love the idea, and I don't think it is too complicated. How would the potion level be incorporated into the system? I can think of four ways that it would work. The system we have now could be adapted so that when the potion is finished you will either get the failure message or the success message. Another way is to have a chance of failure in each process, higher level potions would have more processes and therefore a higher chance of failure. The third way would be to require a certain level to make a potion like magic does to cast spells. The fourth way is to require a certain level to do a certain process, like you need level 5 to boil water or something like that. I would rather see the 2nd or 4th because they are more realistic, someone who knows nothing about potions probably couldn't distill something from a solution.

Well I think this would only temporarily add some fun to the game ... Because once you did it like 30-40 times it would get boring again ... But I still like the idea. I think the only thing we need is more items to let us not make all over the day the same items :D

As for levels: Perhaps you'd only be able to identify the potions you've made on a larger potion level... Sure you can mix it, but you don't know if you've succeeded (The potion would be "unknown", and possibly ruined because of the lower level). Identifying the potion could also only be done after reading books on i.e. chemistry.

And yes, of course it'd include explosive substances, and possibly poisonous. The poisonous substances could actually be used to poison ranged weapons, but that's for another time and place... Just hope the poisonous substance is not creating a steam that you inhale...

Edited by Wytter

That's a nice idea, but we have yet to decide how the GUI would be implemented, what changes have to be made, etc.

We can implement a new skill (chemestry) which produces ingredients used in alchemy and potion making (and possibly for other things as well).

Well this is basically the idea that we already made up for redoing all the skills.

The idea is to be active, not passive....get rid of the waiting times and clickety clicks.

Well this is basically the idea that we already made up for redoing all the skills.

The idea is to be active, not passive....get rid of the waiting times and clickety clicks.

As long as "active" doesn't imply busy-work for the sake of making it more complex (less passive). Trading mindless-clicking for busy-work-clicking would not be an improvement.

On the other hand, having a system where you create new formulas which you can re-use (in much the same way the magic quick-bar lets you re-use a known spell) might be a nice mix of a more complex (and interesting) mixing system withOUT being forced to do the same repetative stuff over and over each time you want to make something.

The idea is that some new process or procedure is fun the first few times you do it. After a few hundred it's just repetative. So introduce the fun of discovery of learning new formulas and then streamline the action of using them for mass-producing the items (either for experience points or because you need a lot of them).

not busy work clicking..but think of the steps/procedures you'd have to do irl to make things. It's pretty much like that, only in a simpler form.

without the clickety clicks how are we supposed to make potions etc. then?

something like a minigame so that you have to press the correct button at the correct time?

if something like that is being made then you control fail rates urself and you get rid of the hours of clicking.

It may be kinda fun ^_^

Edited by Hardcore

Hehe, i like the idea of chemistry :blink: but excluding potion and alchemy, make it completely new skill...

IMO chemistry could be used just for making ingreds from ingreds... i mean half refined ingreds from raw resources (for example bone powder is half refined ingreds...) for potions and some poisons, traps (explosives).

not busy work clicking..but think of the steps/procedures you'd have to do irl to make things. It's pretty much like that, only in a simpler form.

it will be busy work clicking in longer period of time... but in longer sequences than now...

btw please, stop using 'realism' excuse for every change you gonna make, it's silly to try make fantasy game realistic...

Petition !

i need now like 700k+ exp for every potion lvl, its 10k+ SRs

before update it was like 50k seconds and 13.5k clicks (only mix and food clicks) to get it

now it is 330k seconds... using standard procedure... (with this time i would get like 6 lvls old way !!)

dont make longer formulas... it will only adds more clicking to make it

you already made my schedule obsolete... DONT MAKE MY MOUSE DIE !

Edited by Gen_Axis

Ok..let me rephrase, instead of mindless clicking on one button it will be thoughtful clicking on different items and objects in the game, some of which can possible change so you have to modify what you click on.

And please stop saying i'm using realism as an excuse. We are trying to make the game better. If that means adding realism then so be it.

I am in favor of it. I loved the idea Roja originally put forth with a long process to make armor/weapons and being rewarded with much more exp so that it balances, it would also help the economy. Ummm I do not know much about Other-Life but would this be the sort of thing we could work on there? And if it is a hit perhaps bring it into EL? I have not taken Chemistry yet but I do like the ideas that you have created. :) good call.

I like idea and i know few half-refined things :P

-sunflower oil ( can be made by adding a water ess to a larger amount of sunflowers ( 100 sunflowers= 1 sunflower oil bottle 1 oil bottle can be used to make alot of potions/essences

-olive oil (same process but for other potions)

-rainbow triangle crystal ( can be made from 100 diamonds,100 blue ,100 red, qwarz ( the use of this item is infinite ) and the use of this triangle is for alchemy (bars making)

-bat wings :P (its in every movie for potions) here are few:

rat tails,frog skin,lizards eyes,deers antlers,,,

these r only sugestions for new pot items and can be obtained from animals very rarely

-snapdragons fluid (these r extracted fluids for a diferent potions) so here are some of them:

-roses fluids

-mushrooms liquids

- vinegar from vegetables

i know alot of others but theese are only few of them

PS the gallery registering does not work :hehe: so i cant post an image

Edited by Attila_scg

This sounds very interesting, even if it might be hard 2 create something it's trail and error that counts, the more u try it the better it gets.

I love the idea of putting some thought 2 what u should do b4 u do it as it is now u just click and wait and repeat it til u've made a couple of hundred of what it is ur making.

If it only acn be done in a laboratory i think it would be a good idea 2 have several labs located on 1 map, like 2 in WS and 2 in NC and so on so it doesn't get 2 crowded.