Eternal Lands Official Forums
Dark_Nightmare

What's your favorite fantasy book series?

What's your favorite fantasy book series?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Choices, some of the more common fantasy books series.

• Inheritance (i.e. Eragon, Eldest)
    • Chronicles of Narnia (i.e. The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe)
    • Lord of the Rings (i.e. The Fellowship of the Ring, The wo Towers, The Return of the King)
    • Harry Potter (i.e. The Sorcerer's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets, The Half-Blood Prince)

Lotr is my favourite, but I would make a short comment here: Lotr : The Fellowship, 2 towers or Return of the king is just a bit of the history of the Middleearth, it's more than that including Hobbit, Silmarilon, The Unfinished tales and the newest one: The tale of Hurin's children (I have the pleasure to be reading it now)..

I'm a huge fan of J.R.R work, I really admire his imagination.

Edited by jio_bob

My favorite from these is definitely LOTR series, but really my favorites are the whole Dragon Lance series and Forgotten Realms series.

Why? because from DragonLance comes my favorite wizard (Raistlin!!!!) and from Forgotten Realm my favorite warrior (Drizzt Do'Urden!!)

Other series i have read but not in my top 3 are:

The wheel of time (if it is translated like that)

The death gate cycle

The Belgariad

The Malloreon

can't remember all.

p.s. i strongly recommend everything made by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman and R.A. Salvatore!

Edited by Viittapena

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned: Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Janny Wurtz, etc... the list just goes on and on. :)

But... no one has yet mentioned the best author and series I have ever read, which is The Axis Trilogy and The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass (6 books). Her single book, Beyond the Hanging Wall, is an absolute masterpiece as is everything else she has written.

But... no one has yet mentioned the best author and series I have ever read, which is The Axis Trilogy and The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass (6 books)...

I mentioned them. You won't like what I wrote though :P Each to their own

But... no one has yet mentioned the best author and series I have ever read, which is The Axis Trilogy and The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass (6 books)...

I mentioned them. You won't like what I wrote though :) Each to their own

Sorry, I must have missed your post earlier. :P

Yes, you're right - each to their own. :P

Damn! I read 'What's your favorite fanta' and was all excited to post 'orange!'

but my fave series of fantasy books are 'true blood' :D

I really liked the Zamonien series by Walter Moers. Dunno if the translation to english is any good though. The originals are in german.

Alan Garner: Weirdstone of brisingamen & The Owl Service, Elidor.

Ursula K Le Guin: The Earthsea books. (comprising of A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu, there is another I can't remember and havent got yet though).

Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone: Fighting Fantasty Gamebooks.

Joe Dever: Lonewolf series.

Mark Smith & Jamie Thomson: Avenger series. These are gamebooks as opposed to normal straightforward fiction but well worth getting, if you are into fantasy games..if not wtf you doing on EL??!

I've listed these as alternatives to those listed in the options, not because I dislike the ones there, but also because, to me at least, these books were what cemented my love of the fantasy genre, and were just as important as LOTR or Narnia. Alan Garners books were part of my schools curriculum and kinda rubbed off on me from those bygone days.

Ursula Le Guins fantastic earthsea books (in particular the first one) became a part of my own psycological outlook and philosophy of life in general. The opening poem "the creation of Ea" especially, quite possibly the deepest most poigniant thing I will ever read, despite its short length.

The fighting fantasy books were all the rage in my youth and became an overnight sensation, leading to new ideas on not only how to create an entertaining book that you can while away hours with, but also many computer games led from them. Joe Dever took the gamebook idea to new heights in my opinion with the lonewolf series, giving a depth of storyline over the series, as well as introducing the concept of character advancement not just limited to one single gamebook but as a campaign option. And finally, the Avenger series...I always loved the mystery surrounding Ninja in my mis-spent youth, and this series of books endeared itself to that part of my twisted psyche very quickly.

A final special mention to the one book, which, whilst not strictly in a fantasy setting, is still fantasy in essence, was the book written by Rosemary Weir. I still own a copy and enjoy reading it to my children on occasion, even now, some thirty years after I first read it myself. It's a book about cats, who, after deciding they would be better off without humans, plan and set in motion a chain of events to get all their owners to move out of the street in which they live. They do this under the banner of their heroic leader, whose name not only is the title of the book but also is the name I am honoured and privileged to use in EL. - PYEwacket.

(yes I know, there is a "son of pyewacket" out by rosemary weir as well, and I intend to get a copy of that too, now I know it exists)

I sincerely hope that some of you reading this will try one of the books I've mentioned, or if you have already, that you find in them the level of enjoyment I have had from them over the years. Without them, I wouldnt be me.

(Patrick O'Brian books are also fantastic, but not fantasy so I wont mention those here, since theyre more seafaring fiction...master and commander is one of the ones I will refrain from mentioning, as a matter of fact - yes ...russell crowe film..thats right...see? didnt even need to bring it up at all did I?).

Voted LOTR.

I wouldn't count the other as fantasy :)

But my favorite fantasy books are:

R.F.Feist - Riftwar (6 books)

R.F.Feist - Riftwar : The World On the Other Side (3 books)

David Farland - Runelords

G.R.R.Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (not yet complete)

R.A.Salvatore - stories about Drizzt Do'Urden (Forgotten Realms) 14 books (easy reading but a bit heroic B))

Damn! I read 'What's your favorite fanta' and was all excited to post 'orange!'

but my fave series of fantasy books are 'true blood' :pickaxe:

Haha. I thought the same thing at first.

But my favs are:

LotR

Wheel of Time

Piers Anthony Xanth stuff (when I was younger)

SciFi 4tw!

Enders game series by Orson Scott Card

favotires here are dragon lance series(i have the first edition of the first 3 of chronicles: Autumn Twilight, Winter night, Spring dawning), and the Farseer series was a great one as well. Then i cant remember the name of the other series i read, but it invovles a plot among demi-gods and mortals of conquering the continents and the blood of magic comes from one god(if it rings any bells say so, i cant find the books anymore, may have lost em)

Hmm perhaps the Dark Matter by Philip Pullman as well... like the fact that Lyra is the main character and makes the books so much interesting ...