Eternal Lands Official Forums
Dark_Nightmare

What's your favorite fantasy book series?

What's your favorite fantasy book series?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Choices, some of the more common fantasy books series.

• Inheritance (i.e. Eragon, Eldest)
    • Chronicles of Narnia (i.e. The Witch, the Lion, and the Wardrobe)
    • Lord of the Rings (i.e. The Fellowship of the Ring, The wo Towers, The Return of the King)
    • Harry Potter (i.e. The Sorcerer's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets, The Half-Blood Prince)

I go with the "OMG you forgot..." people. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, anything by Terry Pratchet or Tad Williams. Of course Tolkien is great (esp. if you read more of his works than just LotR) and I have the DragonLance chronicles in my bookshelf, next to Judith Tarr's "Avaryan Rising" which was a recommendation by a friend etc. etc. lots of nice reading out there ;)

I don't do a lot of reading but within the past yr or 2 I've been reading The Wheel of Time series. I'm on the 5th book and so far I love it... keeps gettin better and better. So for those who dont read a lot like me go with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Def my favorite series I've ever read.

My favorite are the Dragon Lance series as well.

They are the best books i've ever read. non-stop action! :)

Just finished Eldest (finally), and I'll have to say that the last four chapters of the book were /amazing/.

O-M-G, I'm still under the effect of what's happened at the end.....

Have you seen teh trailer for the new movie Eragon?

I've read and re-read so many fantasy books, I'll have to say to everyones dismay that I do not like Margeret Weis that much. She wasn't that bad but, I just don't see what I like to see in authors. Btw, she was the first fantasy author I have not liked.

Well my dad used to read the Lord of The Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Sword of Shannara to me a lot when I was little, so it's kind what my favorites are. Though the Redwall series is great, if you like talking animals, and Greyfax Grimwald was interesting, though a lot shorter than what I like to read.

Farmer Giles of Ham by J.R.R. Tolkien is great, but hard to find(I dug through secondhand bookstores to find my copy) and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis(Same guy who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia) is good too. :):confused::fire::) (heroic emoticons)

I voted LOTR series but another (on-going) series of books I love is Charmed - not sure if this fits into your fantasy topic as it looks more like fantasy sci-fi mostly here. I don't go much on fantasy sci-fi as the technical details tend to take over and bore me. I tried a Dr. Who book once and didn't understand it so never finished it (I was in high school so I wasn't too young to understand). I haven't tried reading Harry Potter books, but maybe one day.

I voted for the Ring series too, but it's the only one I've read all of!

There is a series of 'Oz' books by L. Frank Baum, not just the Wicked Witch story, which is fun. Don't forget Lewis Carroll! I'm sure they are called 'Sci-Fi', but Frank Herbert's 'Dune' books are just as fantastical as anything else!

My all-time favorite series of books are C. S. Forrester's Horatio Hornblower saga, nearly historically accurate British Naval action in the age of sail! Way off topic but sure makes for some fantastic reading!! Yarr! :)

My favorite are the Dragon Lance series as well.

They are the best books i've ever read. non-stop action! :D

Dragonlance series :D

I haven't read them in a while but I have to admit, Caramon rocks ftw. Forgot the title of the book but the one where he gets all muscly in the gladiator fights and he breaks out...bloody good storyline too.

:)

Anything by Margret Weis & Tracy Hickman :sneaky:

Lol only just noticed this topic YAY books :)

Voted LOTR but my favourite author has to be Raymond.E.Feist: Serpentwar Saga, The Darkwar books, and Legends Of The Riftwar all very good books ( anything by Feist really )

If you like Weis & Hickman The Sovereign Stone Trilogy is good.

other good books/authors:

RuneLords : by David Farland

White Wolf, Swords of Night and Day, Stormrider, Midnight Falcon, Raven heart: by David Gemmell ( all his books are very good )

The Voyage Of The Jerle Shannara: by Terry Brooks

and to many to mention, my house is like a book shop :devlish:

Edited by conavar

Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time. Is the best series I have read so far I am comparing that to Harry Potter (lol), Narnia, Lotr, and I read dune and a couple of Conan books.

DRAGON LANCE :)

I started to read the series, and I LOVED every one of them so far. I cannot wait until I get the next trilogy in the mail.

As for the poll, I picked HP :P

I guess I'm skirting the 'fantasy' topic with my picks, but I was only exposed to 'The Hobbit' in school as a choice between that and what I thought was titled 'Tequila Mockingbird' (um, that's 'To Kill A...', and yes, I'm still that dense years later....) Loved Bilbo and read everything from Tolkien after that!

Anyway, I forgot to mention the Tintin series by Belgian artist Herge' written and drawn from the 1920's through the 1960's, about a boy reporter, his dog, and his friends, enemies, wacky side characters. Big hardcover graphic novels, beautifully drawn, exciting, and funny. The books were fantasy for me although they are more of an adventure and sci/fi genre. I loved sitting in my Pop's lap while he translated from the French editions or helped me read the English ones. They never caught on much in the US except for my friends who loved them too, we used to play the adventures out in the neighborhood, big fun! Here's the website for anyone who has no clue of what I'm talking about: http://www.tintin.com/ It gets bigger and better every time I check in!

tintin.jpg

I like the harry potter books way better than the lord of the rings, but i definatly like the lotr series better cause of the storyline and the movies.

Never got around to reading the others tho :/

Ahhh i forgot about stephen donaldsten! i think he is a very good writer as well.

Stephen Donaldson was the one who wrote the Mordant's Need duology, right? The one about using mirrors as portals to other worlds?

Ooh, and there's also Sara Douglas' Crusader trilogies, which I didn't particularly like, but thought I should mention. Oh, and Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies! :lipssealed: Those were pretty good.

~Shouja~

Steven Donaldson also wrote The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever, which was one of the first fantasy books I read.

Sara Douglass also wrote the Axis trilogy, and the Wayfarer Redemption trilogy; both of which I absolutely hated and is the only series of fantasy books I have ever resold back to a secondhand bookshop.

As well as Eddings, Feist, McCaffery, Pratchett, Tolkein, Jordan etc. that have all been mentioned, I also enjoy reading books by Katherine Kerr, Janny Wurts (who did the Daughter of the Empire series with Feist from the riftwar books), and I really liked one of Stephen Kings fantasy-style books - The Talisman. There are quite a few good Australian fantasy authors: Juliet Marillier (Sevenwaters Trilogy, Bridei Chronicles), Isobelle Carmody (who takes a very long time to release books - 6 years for her latest I think), Kate Forsyth (Witches of Eileanan), Cecilia Dart-Thornton (The Bitterbynde series), to name a few.

BOOKS!

why read when you can play EL?

I read while I harvest. Now go read a book. You are embarrassing mankind.

Terry Brooks has several good series but I reccommend: Magic Kingdom for Sale

Roger Zaleny: The Amber series

Earthsea trilogy was really good

Piers Anthony: Xanth series but my favorite series of his is Incarnations of Immortality

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

The Discworld series, genius :D

And Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams had me totally hooked to the point where when I was about halfway through the last book i read no more then one page a day because I didn't want it to end! Of course the last ~200 pages went in one day ;)

Anything by Garth Nix. His Abhorsen trilogy(Sabriel, Lireal, and Abhorsen) were my favorites. still looking to read Shades children and ive read his 'Keys to the Kingdom' series up to Friday, since he's still working on Saturday. Cirque Du Freak, by Darren Shan, is also good. its about Vampires.

But my favorite has to be Brian Jacques. He writes the Redwall series, and writes about the Castaways of the flying Dutchmen tale( Castaways of the Flying Dutchmen , Angel's Command, and 1 other, the name escapes me.)

Ive read all 25 of his books, except his picture book and 7 strange and Ghostly Tales, and i loved them all.

Do fantasy gamebooks count? ;)

If so, I loved the early books in the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks series, mainly those written by Ian Livingstone. (The first were written by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, and many after were written by various others.)

My favourites include Forest of Doom, City of Thieves and Island of the Lizard King.

In the vote, I had to pick Lord of the Rings. I could not put the book(s) down. And loved The Hobbit (or There and back again) as a child.