Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

a bigger interface

This is a mock-up of an interface designed for resolutions of 1024x768 and above. It does make the viewing area smaller, but allows easier access to the inventory/spells/etc windows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/ffle...larger_mock.jpg

This view shows the chat box docked to the bottom there. If you decide to use the "old chat" way and stick the chat on the viewing screen, then the area that contained the chatbox can be filled with a complete list of your statistics.

Anyway, this is just an idea that Entropy wanted me to test out graphically :D Not certain on where it's going yet.

I Like it... but the drop all button is a bit close to Quantity.

I would give an arm for the Chat sliders...

Edited by Stormer

Uh... about the viewing area, I think we use a GL viewport call, so I *believe* we'd still be able to see just as much, just scaled down inside the "world view".

I think it should be kept the way it is - it's a lot cleaner this way... That interface, although it could be practical for some situations, just looks too complex imho. Better to stick with simplicity.

Edited by Wytter

Heya all...

Well, i've seen what u posted Roja, and i think bigger interface is nice, but i came to thinking that it could be redesigned, so i mocked up with this.

This is not whole interface which is obvious :blush:, it's only upper right part up to the half of screen (verticaly)..

el_mockup.jpg

So, there is all u have more or less,

magic quickbar, the quick slot that has 5 items instead of 6 atm, but it could be doubled and have 10..

I tink having whole invetory is not necesary. (it will show quantity of course)...

And ya, that's about it..

quick summoning bar? (with 3 slots)?.. somwehrre below?..

All in all, lemme know what u think..

Roja if u like it, i can complete it.

However i would appreciate a feedback on this matter.

crus that looks nice :blush: But I dont know what we are doing yet.

This interface would of course be optional (and it would not be default)

Edited by Roja

Well oka..

if there is something (2d) i can help with, pm me on forums/in game whatever, i'll gladly help if i have time.

So once u know what u want and what u will do, lemme know if u need help.

Edited by crus

personally, I think having an alternative interface setup you can toggle on/off is the wrong approach...

why? I'd prefer if you could define and redesign the interface... in most cases, you'd probably have 2-3 default styles distributed with the client (not just window positions and such, but also colour schemes, etc.)

what we need for this to work:

the code to be able to do colour schemes is already available in one of my patches. might need to be updated to latest CVS, but it's not much work needed

need to be able to turn off and lock-position windows (ie: docked). should be easy enough to do

configuration setup. reading/writing to file(if el.cfg is extended so that window docked-ness is saved as well as location or something, that's part covered. also need colour schemes and default window locations/dock-state in some file... you can have a half dozen XML 'skins' for the game like this... and you can require some things are shown (like the EL logo), or make them optional as well). the el.cfg part is easy-done, and we already use XML for other files, so theoretically that wouldn't take too long to make either

what the 'skin' definition files need:

default window locations and dock-state. any window not defined such will use EL defaults(windows will include things like the HUD bars, so you could have your toolbar across the top of screen should you so desire)

colour scheme. the code in my patch means you can set the colour & transparency of the window background, border, and titlebar.

changable textures. preferably you'd also be able to select a 'textures' directory so that you can have a different hud-bar background, etc. some things could be hard-wired into the client to use the default images (like the EL logo, however this will need to be redone so that it's just the logo on transparent background, and the background comes from the HUD-bar... this will likely require more coding, and I don't know how complex it would be)

okay, so the idea isn't fully fleshed out... it should give a good idea of what I'd like to see, though, and show that it wouldn't be an unreasonable plan

The skin idea is nice ttlanhil, but lets get the basics done first eh? If there was a poll I would vote for it. I would love to play in this setup, and I doubt there is a patch available, but if there is, let me test it out. Thanks, Good work. I like.

I would vote yes for it ONLY if it is toggle-able. I like it a lot, and would probably use it sometimes, but I really think it is a very huge downside to lose that much of the picture. (even if it is the entire image but smaller). It is too distracting for use all of the time and really changes how the scene looks.

Ive always like huds that arnt intrusive into the visuals, Or at least minimally intrustive.

Sometimes ill play with the hud on the old option with f6.

Id rather have it like a head up display with transperancy, then have solid items.

More desktop space for the visuals =)

I think that idea is excellent. One suggestion to make it work more fluently and to please everyone, is that effective off-focus transparency might be needed (for windows/buttons), so that things aren't so intrusive or block view.

I think, that idea sux.

This new interface displays mostly things i dont want to know/see.

Why should i be interested in seing my inventory, my magic window, my manu window 100% of the time im playing?

Thats why windowing techniques were invented once. To be able to *CLOSE* them if you dont need them. And to move them and resize them.

But not to have useless informations being displayed the whole time.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

Piper

I think, that idea sux.

Why should i be interested in seing my inventory, my magic window, my manu window 100% of the time im playing?

Thats why windowing techniques were invented once. To be able to *CLOSE* them if you dont need them. And to move them and resize them.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

Piper

Don't say "Sorry" after saying "it sux" ... this is just not a nice way to answer, especially to Roja. Moreover you could be more constructive, admit that some players would really love that new display, and ask for a toggle button to get back to the previous version.

Personally, I would also like a "wide zoom" optionnal view where I don't have any window or menu bar getting in the way, just maybe the "EL" logo, the compass and the bars using a 100% transparent background. Actually I believe the interface used to look like that some time ago.

EDIT: is that still an option ? the F6 option Zep is talking about ? Cool ! I'll check that.

Edited by Sildegaar

Don't say "Sorry" after saying "it sux" ... this is just not a nice way to answer, especially to Roja. Moreover you could be more constructive, admit that some players would really love that new display, and ask for a toggle button to get back to the previous version.

I did not post what other players may think, i posted my opinion.

Piper

I think, that idea sux.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

Piper

Please read the rules before posting.

9. Use Constructive Criticism

Do not insult the developers or implementations of the game. When a new addition is made to the game and you find something wrong with it, then phrase your words in a thoughtful and meaningful way that people will be willing to respond to. Back your ideas or opinions up by facts or good, well thought out suggestions.

I love it (Roja's original post). At 1024x768 or 1280x1024 I got *lots* of extra viewing space, and this looks much easier than having inv open (which I do most of the time anyway).

<Warning! Rest of post is not relevant>

I know this is almost completely unrelated, but could we make trade window big again? (it took up most of my screen on 800x600, I seem to recall, before the update. I kinda liked how 'in-your-face' the trade window was. After all, when you're trading you do nothing else anyway)

belton, nope - the changes were made to support storage trading. Could not be done cleanly otherwise.

I love it (Roja's original post). At 1024x768 or 1280x1024 I got *lots* of extra viewing space, and this looks much easier than having inv open (which I do most of the time anyway).

<Warning! Rest of post is not relevant>

I know this is almost completely unrelated, but could we make trade window big again? (it took up most of my screen on 800x600, I seem to recall, before the update. I kinda liked how 'in-your-face' the trade window was. After all, when you're trading you do nothing else anyway)

Also, the current trade window doesn't have enough room for the item descriptions. Either the description needs to be removed from the trade window, or it needs to not overflow out of the window.

The idea doesn't suck, because it's mine and I am teh G0d :)

Anyway, the reason I came up with it is because at resolutions over 1024x768 the monitor is too big and the details of the texture are lost when the textures are filtered by the graphic card.

I never played El in 1600x1200, but I would guess it's just too big. Therfore, it would be nice for SOME people to be able to switch to such an interface, IF they want to.

I like the idea as long as it is toggleable just like others said

Note though Roja, in your original screenie, the bars have the wrong words: you have it as

Mana

Health

Food

Overall

Attack

but actually, I don't think you can have negative health (because that would be REALLY messed up) so the order should be

Mana

FOOD

HEALTH

Overall

Attack

so just switch the food and health :P