Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Nightmare

The Story of the discovery of Matter Essences...

This is the tale of the discovery of the Matter Essence and the other discoveries of Proffesor Atomos, a gnomish scientist and apprentice to Unolas.

Day 1: I am Atomos Isotope, son of Nuclei Isotope, friend to Unolas the Elf. I have bought this journal from Bilbomjo Gombo, a merchant. Me and Unolas are in the laboratory at Tarsengaard Mage School. We are studying the magics and trying to extract the essence of an element into a magicall bauble.

Day 2: Something amazing happened! We were practicing on a fire essence, and a spark shot and the fire was gon, and the red bauble next to it was glowing and hot with a flame inside it. We threw it against a pile of wood, and it burst into flames, lighting the wood on fire with incredible accuracy.

Day 3: We have succeded in extracting the essence of water, earth, and air!

Day 4: We have discovered how to use them in spells, but we are a little messy and Grunog the Dwarf almost was shrede in a tornado of lava!

Day 5: We have captured a rabbit and extracted it's life force creating a life essence, and captured a skeleton, and extracted a death essence.

The rest of the page burnt off, but I am working on restoring it. To be continued...

The names are funny. And I think the "Me and Unolas are in the laboratory.." is hilarious.

And the short; we did, and did and did is just... :whistle: :lol:

Translation: If you were planning on this being in the official storyline, dont count on it.

Not trying to be mean, but that's the truth :whistle:

If you wish to write a story about the origins of a given essense, Go for it. But we want TONS of detail on something that game related. So, single out one essense and build a strong story around it. :D

If you wish to write a story about the origins of a given essense, Go for it. But we want TONS of detail on something that game related. So, single out one essense and build a strong story around it. :D

215440[/snapback]

I mostly agree.

there's two options, either you write with the hope that it'll become part of the oficial story(which means you have to restrict what and how you write a lot), or youcan write fan fiction set in EL(more freedom, but highly unlikely to become part of the official story)

if you want to write fanfics, ignore the rest of this post ^_^

check out previously written and accepted stories, or what you find in-game, etc. not just on alchemy, science, etc, but in general, to get a feel for how EL stories are written.

apart from the sci-fi/earth-related comments in a couple of places, it's very much in-character, and any humour is built into the story as such (in particular, the names you're using)

check out the other 'sciency' stories as well, not just on EL(though to fit in, it's better for it to be similar), which might give clues how a scientists' journal might be written

as far as only one essence, well, Unolas was the one to discover all of them, but it was no short or easy task. It's possible that two may have been discovered in the same day, but more likely that a month or longer happened between final recording of essences.

If you want to write about more than one discovery, you'll need to add more text, experimentation, and time between them.

Picking just one and writing a strong story about it is probably still a better idea, but while you do that, keep in mind that you can write others. so pick whichever one you want to be first(doesn't have to be fire, but probably one o the lower level ones) and write a few pages of diary about that. if, later, you wish to write about another essence, it should be easy to do it as another chapter of the diary; and if you read one after the other they can blend seamlessly

on that note, remember that Unolas is known for discovering the essences. anyone helping him was either an assistant, or Unolas later hid him rom the other gods/people to take the credit for himself... as god of wisdom, i think this option is less likely, but you can pick how you want to write it.

If you do something that's different to everyone else, but it works, then the fact that it works is what matters, so you don't have to do what the storylines team says(but it's probably more likely to work well if you do draw on the experience of the team) :D

also, check the pinned topic Tips and Tools for Story-Writers, there's probably more points there that you may be able to use