Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Plans for the future

Guys, you know, I am really tired of the: "Omfg this is supposed to be a medieval game". You wrongly assumed this, I never said anywhere that EL is ONLY a medieval game.

If you want strictly medieval games, go and play some other game. Such as Runescape, Planeshift, UO, WoW, and many others.

Oh, and FYI, Roja is not the boss, we both are.

210908[/snapback]

Well if you can't accept peoples opinions on a subject, maybe a thread is not the ideal way to announce your plans? Maybe it's best to close this whole forum, so the people that love this game, can't express how much they liked what you already created and voice their fears, that it might get destroyed? I think you know better than most others, that a MMORPG only exists with its players... I wouldn't wanna see everyone leaving for another game, because apparently we all like _this_ game, otherwise we wouldn't play and care ;)

Well if you can't accept peoples opinions on a subject, maybe a thread is not the ideal way to announce your plans? Maybe it's best to close this whole forum, so the people that love this game, can't express how much they liked what you already created and voice their fears, that it might get destroyed? I think you know better than most others, that a MMORPG only exists with its players... I wouldn't wanna see everyone leaving for another game, because apparently we all like _this_ game, otherwise we wouldn't play and care  :D

210916[/snapback]

I think you totally missed the point of this thread.

It's purpose was to announce some changes that will come. It wasn't to ask for your permission.

While I do understand that some people might not like the changes and leave, I also know that other people will like them, and possibly bring their friends, or just stay longer in the game.

As for expressing your oppinion, I don't think we ever restricted that. Feel free to express your oppinion in a polite way, but also allow us not to listen to your oppinion. I mean, do you really think you have the right to dictate me/us what to do? The only right you have is to leave the game if youdon't like it.

Since Entropy wrote his quests they can stay if he wants...but that doesn't mean the quest team has to follow with their style. The quest/story writing team will just keep doing what it has been doing lately, a good job :D

If they conflict..well then so be it for now.

210862[/snapback]

I'd prefer if someone merged them. At present, they conflict directly, which is somewhat like dropping a harpsicord on a piano to make an instrument - the synthesizer (ie. the combination) is easier to play.

Edited by crusadingknight

I think you totally missed the point of this thread.

It's purpose was to announce some changes that will come. It wasn't to ask for your permission.

While I do understand that some people might not like the changes and leave, I also know that other people will like them, and possibly bring their friends, or just stay longer in the game.

As for expressing your oppinion, I don't think we ever restricted that. Feel free to express your oppinion in a polite way, but also allow us not to listen to your oppinion. I mean, do you really think you have the right to dictate me/us what to do? The only right you have is to leave the game if youdon't like it.

210929[/snapback]

No one said you should ask for my permission. Erm did I somewhere say you need that? Everyone knows you are the boss of EL together with Roja and I don't think anyone questioned that authority. But you act as if we would.

Obviously I'm the medieval fantasy person..while Entropy is the high tech person. We really have too many opposite tastes to make a game together, but it happened anyway..so that's why conflicts like these come up. We just try to compromise as much as possible. I'm also not against a fantasy/medieval+technological world (eg Final Fantasy series), but this game did not start out that way..It should have though, considering our different tastes.

210862[/snapback]

Final Fantasy series is my fave game... i played it for 7 years until get bored of it. I would apreciate some futuristic thematic in the future, maybe some discoveries of a advanced and ancient technology buried in a far place would be awesome. :D

I always thought part of EL's charm was its humor--the NPCs saying "Oh, I ruined your RPing, didn't I??" and the various jokes about Earthly things like QED, X-files, etc., all add to that. It gives the impression that EL doesn't take itself too seriously, and it's not averse to making fun of itself and the gaming community in general. It's dang funny, and I laugh IRL sometimes when I find little jewels in the game like these. May not be consistent, but it's entertaining :P

Wasn't this sort of thing listed as a bonus by game reviewers a long time ago?

No one said you should ask for my permission. Erm did I somewhere say you need that? Everyone knows you are the boss of EL together with Roja and I don't think anyone questioned that authority. But you act as if we would.

210941[/snapback]

No, but you implied it.

Well if you can't accept peoples opinions on a subject, maybe a thread is not the ideal way to announce your plans?

You implied that I do not take people's oppinion into consideration. Guess what, in this thread I didn't ask for oppinions. If i ask for them then I do take them into consideration.

If I go tell you: "You know, kl4uz, you should paint your room red!", will you do it for me, or tell me to fuck off?

Maybe it's best to close this whole forum, so the people that love this game, can't express how much they liked what you already created and voice their fears, that it might get destroyed?

Again, you assumed that I eat people that express their oppinion. Not true, sorry.

I think you know better than most others, that a MMORPG only exists with its players... I wouldn't wanna see everyone leaving for another game, because apparently we all like _this_ game, otherwise we wouldn't play and care

As a MMORPG developer, my duty is to improve the game, and add/change things that, IMHO, would make the game better. If some people do not like those changes, they are free to play other games.

Would it be possible to make some server side and possibly client side improvements to the buddy list to include guilds. ie could you automatically show what members where online in your guild and possibly expand this a little to include online members of other guilds that you have defined as being allied or friendly.

A new cool use for explosives could be :

f there would be harvestable stuff (mining) in caves behind rocks.

So that you first have to use explosives (or nitroglicerine potion?) to break open the rocks to get to the stuff to mine.

Just an idea !! :)

Why can't there be mines?Jeez people you came from a spaceship....

1)Teh mines fell out of your ship also

2)Do a quest for getting your memory back for constructing teh mines!

Guest beegee

I really wonder where the big advantage is in this new system. It will be harder for beginners, but the experienced players dont care for a minmap anyway.

Dota is about killing efficent and a proper pk-teamwork. None of that is improved by these suggestions! Anyway is the pk in el a very small part of the game, and any perk for 15pp is just not affordable for a pk-char.

the only part of el where teamplay is useful is in making large quantities of stuff, but thats like featuring 1 with exp, while others r just muling.

i cannot c any reasons why its not possible in el to make a party, and sit together making he's e.g, and all get exp (like (basic exp +(players in party*10%)) / players in party).

Anyway till somethin like this is implemented el will stay a Massiv_Player_Online_Roleplaying_Game, but its a long way till its a multiplayer-game.

beegee aka Lorodan, now playing Kalonline!

Small comment from me,

As having the "field of view" in caves depending from light sources is a great idea, go for it!

And Ent if u ask me, combat would be made much more exciting if "render fog" would be allways on, meaning that players can't turn it off.

Just my 2 cents.

p.s. think about summoning quickbar, perhaps under the Item slots and magic, only for exaple 3 slots or something.. or 2 even.

One of the plans is to make a menu for summoning, where you just click on the icon of the animal you want to summon.

214966[/snapback]

Like the magic Quick bar?

I really wonder where the big advantage is in this new system. It will be harder for beginners, but the experienced players dont care for a minmap anyway.

wanna bet? granted, I have some issues with it, I don't think the fog of war will work right (I assume it's saved client side, so it's not computer portable. plus there'll be people who change client so the fog is always off (or more likely, someone explores all, and emails the minimap file around). because this is hard to impossible to fight, there will probably be honest players wanting the option to turn it off, to even things up... and once you can turn it off, who will leave it on?)

Dota is about killing efficent and a proper pk-teamwork. None of that is improved by these suggestions! Anyway is the pk in el a very small part of the game, and any perk for 15pp is just not affordable for a pk-char.

214763[/snapback]

no, 15pp is more what a couple of scout characters would get... nice theory, but those scouts are probably run by people who have a main fighter character in the main group (or not group, maybe, though you need at least 2 people for the shared vision... 1 and you get multiplaying trouble)

Small comment from me,

As having the "field of view" in caves depending from light sources is a great idea, go for it!

aye. it's odd how you can see so far in the dim caves ^_^ or around corners

And Ent if u ask me, combat would be made much more exciting if "render fog" would be allways on, meaning that players can't turn it off.

214915[/snapback]

not an option. 1) people will turn it off (and some of those who will cheat do PK), and get an unfair advantage, and 2) it's an option because of graphical issues

vision limiting can only be done by deciding at what range the server tells the client that someone else shows up

One of the plans is to make a menu for summoning, where you just click on the icon of the animal you want to summon.

214966[/snapback]

probably a good thing, but there'll be people who get nostalgic for the days when "ahh, back in the day, it'd tell us it was an invalid combination, and we'd have to check what we're mixing, and fix the mistakes we made... you youngins get it easy these days..."

teehee ^_^

Disabling the fog of war on the client would be extremely stupid, and would do you anything but good.

215038[/snapback]

I ment the fog (weather effect), but i understand it would let to many GFX issues and stuff, i wasn't saying it should be done, but only that it would be nice. :hehe:

Disabling the fog of war on the client would be extremely stupid, and would do you anything but good.

215038[/snapback]

I ment the fog (weather effect), but i understand it would let to many GFX issues and stuff, i wasn't saying it should be done, but only that it would be nice. :rolleyes:

215056[/snapback]

When I will finish implementing all my changes, the server will not even send the players that are too far in the fog, so if you disable it, you won't get any real advantage. On countrary, you would think you see everyone close to you, when in fact you don't.

ooh.. i remember like a year ago.. when entropy stated that he wanted to implent land mines and rocket launchers / fazer guns.. guess he finally got to it :P good luck ent :)

Guest ObSidEon

I like the combat Field Engineering skill idea and i really like the mine idea...just one thing...can teh mines be used in non-PK maps, but can only harm animals and monsters. If other people walk on them they wont get hurt...this is for all the players that aren't exactly "skilled" enough to go into pk areas and stand a chance.

I like the combat Field Engineering skill idea and i really like the mine idea...just one thing...can teh mines be used in non-PK maps, but can only harm animals and monsters.  If other people walk on them they wont get hurt...this is for all the players that aren't exactly "skilled" enough to go into pk areas and stand a chance.

215397[/snapback]

I don't know yet, we are still considering the details and the actual implementation.