Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

AFK message corrupted

as the title and description say, there's a problem with the AFK message most people seem to have (unless they've changed it)

I've checked the CVS log for el.ini going back to before the update, the problem isn't there.

I just unpacked Ent's installer again, and the el.ini in that does have the same problem.

I can think of a couple of causes:

• the file was edited before it went into Ent's installer (since I hear that's giving a #ver of 0.9.9, I'm guessing there may have been other changes from CVS as well)
  • the installer caused the corruption (at some stage)

if it's the first option, then players will just need to fix it (options->misc or edit el.ini)

if it's the second option, then there may be other files that have changed as well... which could cause some of the other bugs we've had reported

Edited by ttlanhil

please tell me that you didn't just notice that....

204199[/snapback]

no, but I haven't had many cases where I PM AFK people, and until today thought it might have been just that person

I don't use Ent's installer-ed client, since I'm working on adding features and bugfixing and all, hence why i didn't see it often

Any idea what other bugs it might have caused?

I had that odd afk message as well (i use the client ent posted in forums), but i changed it in my el.ini...if you have any ideas what other problems it caused, i can let you know if i experienced any of them.

Any idea what other bugs it might have caused? 

I had that odd afk message as well (i use the client ent posted in forums), but i changed it in my el.ini...if you have any ideas what other problems it caused, i can let you know if i experienced any of them.

204253[/snapback]

hmm. data files that are there but refuse to load are a possibility (it they are corrupted, then the game is likely to log an error and continue)

problems that are consistent, and related to a data file, are another. for example, if a certain type of chimney has one side missing, or uses the wrong texture

I strongly doubt that corrupted data files would cause transient bugs (ones that come and go), it should always be bugs that are the same every time a certain file is loaded

ooh, another example comes to mind, if there are problems with maps (such as which object does something, ie doors leading to somewhere else, or heighmapping problems) that the person who made (or last fixed) the map doesn't have... it's possible this could be the problem (however it's rather unlikely, because random changes to non-text files are likely to cause it to not load at all)

No corruption, it's the AFK message of a known player working with ENT, and the el.ini comes from there.

But, are we sure that the client maps are the same as the server ones?