Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

A new EL newspaper!

Background loading is not planned though.

208408[/snapback]

don't see why not... in fact, if it doesn't happen, it'll probably end up being one of the patches I make

background loading just seems like the best option... a bit more code, sure, but if you have to do a bit more work at the start, so that things work better later on? *shrugs*

"How a snowball can be a pig and a gnome"

204768[/snapback]

:lol: rofl, nice one ;-)

tt, perhaps discuss that in another thread or PM's please?

Ontopic: Is each edition going to be 'published' on EL.net too?

Ontopic: Is each edition going to be 'published' on EL.net too?

208593[/snapback]

that could work nicely. I'd prefer that all back-issues were available for people to read whenever

that could work nicely. I'd prefer that all back-issues were available for people to read whenever

208944[/snapback]

Good, I'd like that too. Perhaps we can organise an easy way of doing this, so to limit the need for human intervention etc (i.e. it doesn't need me to upload it each time, although its never a problem, could save time-to-press etc :-P)

Good, I'd like that too. Perhaps we can organise an easy way of doing this, so to limit the need for human intervention etc (i.e. it doesn't need me to upload it each time, although its never a problem, could save time-to-press etc :-P)

208948[/snapback]

yeah, and there's the timezone issues as well which can add a delay *shrug* perhaps ftp access to only a Times folder for Times editors? or web-based upload (though that's a bit more of a hassle if there's images(and I can have images reasonably well optimised for size))

yeah, and there's the timezone issues as well which can add a delay *shrug* perhaps ftp access to only a Times folder for Times editors? or web-based upload (though that's a bit more of a hassle if there's images(and I can have images reasonably well optimised for size))

208980[/snapback]

No, no FTP.

I mean, an easy way of deploying, so you just provide the contents of EL Times (in HTML), its uploaded to the DB and the issues are listed dynamically (this would take mere minutes to implement).

No, no FTP.

I mean, an easy way of deploying, so you just provide the contents of EL Times (in HTML), its uploaded to the DB and the issues are listed dynamically (this would take mere minutes to implement).

208983[/snapback]

oh well, let us know how to use it once it's ready then ^_^

Background loading is not planned because the updater is intended to be a separate piece of software that runs while the client is shut down so that it can overwrite the executable if applicable and necessary. Once it's done, of course you are free to improve it so that it can run simultaneously with the client. If you want to work it the way you described though, you will have to modify the client too so that it can reread all data files without restart, which is not trivial.

those who have got in contact with me about working on the Times have all been added to the list, the team is growing nicely, and things are getting organised... however more people are still welcome to get in contact to help with the times

so don't think that it's too late to volunteer ^_^

you can also write & send in an article or letters to the editor & such without being on the team, if you prefer