Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mori Ranmaru

The fall of The Forest of Shadows

The fall of the Forest of Shadows:

Authors Note:

In this publication, you will find my collection of research on the fall of the great Elven city that once inhabited the region now know as Morcraven Marsh. At the time, this region was called the Forest of Shadows, and is supposed to be the birthplace of the elves. I would advise you to make your own evaluations of the historical evidence.

I: Governor Playno Goldenleaf’s personal diary

Wednesday, December 13th, 700 B.G.W.:

Dear diary, today my council voted to expand the exploration of the massive cave system that runs throughout my domain. I tried to reason that it was highly unlikely that anything of importance would be discovered, but the council persisted, saying that it would be important information to add to our libraries.

I think that this is a pile of rabbit dung, but in the end, I gave into their nagging and allowed them to select a team of explorers to sail into the massive underground lake and see if they can find anything new. One of the chosen elves is my secretary, Lisadar Oakflower! How dare they take my secretary from me, all for the purpose of “research� I will be glad when this whole ordeal is over and I can concentrate on how much profit our traders are making.

Monday, December 18th, 700 B.G.W.:

Dear diary, today the exploration team reported finding an ancient tunnel. They claimed that the walls were covered with ancient runes and writings. The group is going to return tomorrow to obtain the supplies that are needed to further explore this passageway, as they have run out.. The team also reported finding thousands of small tunnels that criss-cross underneath our great forest! They are not quite sure what these are for, but they say that the forest is safe, as the tunnels have existed for ages.

Also, today my son, Nakirii Goldenleaf, told me of his plans to take a small group of elves and build a small colony in a small part of northeastern Whitestone. Although I don’t entirely approve of his plan, a new elven colony will greatly add to our trading profit!

Edited by Mori Ranmaru

I like the layout you have set up. It could come to a point that this govener may die where you can take up the next person's diary. I think there may already be a similar story, Ill hunt around. I only caught one thing in it so far that needs fixing.

The group is going to return tomorrow with the supplies that are needed to further explore this passageway.

The group is going to return tomorrow to obtain the supplies that are needed to further explore this passageway, as they have run out.

Edited by Brom

I think this has great potential. A couple of things i noticed, though, they are small.

I will be glad when this whole ideal is over...

I will be glad when this whole ordeal is over...

Also I don't know that an elf would be addressing a personal journal or diary with the very human phrase, "Dear diary". Though, I could be wrong...i just don't think it is likely.

Also maintaining a way of life is definately important to the races, however, I don't think the elves would be so centered on such capitalism (worrying so heavily on trades and commissions). Their ideals are based on communing with nature and preserving life. This brings to light that you have a very selfish elf. I like that very much, he seems very self centered...thus could lead to The forest of shadow's demise. I'm encouraging you to develope Playno Goldenleaf’s character a little bit more in that respect.

Now, I can't say i know where you are going with this so it is your decision on how to preceed with developing characters. I would just like to say that you have a bunch of potential and I am very eager to see the outcome.

The fall of the Forest of Shadows:

Authors Note:

In this publication, you will find my collection of research on the fall of the great Elven city that once inhabited the region now know as Morcraven Marsh. At the time, this region was called the Forest of Shadows, and is supposed to be the birthplace of the elves. I would advise you to make your own evaluations of the historical evidence.

I: Governor Playno Goldenleaf’s personal diary

Wednesday, December 13th, 700 B.G.W.:

Dear diary, today my council voted to expand the exploration of the massive cave system that runs throughout my domain. I tried to reason that it was highly unlikely that anything of importance would be discovered, but the council persisted, saying that it would be important information to add to our libraries.

I think that this is a pile of rabbit dung, but in the end, I gave into their nagging and allowed them to select a team of explorers to sail into the massive underground lake and see if they can find anything new. One of the chosen elves is my secretary, Lisadar Oakflower! How dare they take my secretary from me, all for the purpose of “research� I will be glad when this whole ordeal is over and I can concentrate on how much profit our traders are making.

Monday, December 18th, 700 B.G.W.:

Dear diary, today the exploration team reported finding an ancient tunnel. They claimed that the walls were covered with ancient runes and writings. They believe that they are ancient dwarven texts. The group is going to return tomorrow to obtain the supplies that are needed to further explore this passageway, as they have run out.. The team also reported finding thousands of small tunnels that criss-cross underneath our great forest! They are not quite sure what these are for, but they say that the forest is safe, as the tunnels have existed for ages.

Also, today my son, Nakirii Goldenleaf, told me of his plans to take a small group of elves and build a small colony in a small part of northeastern Whitestone. Although I don’t entirely approve of his plan, a new elven colony will greatly add to our trading profit!

Friday, December 22nd, 700 B.G.W.:

Dear diary, the exploration team today reported that continued exploration of the newly discovered tunnel has revealed that at one time, a small community of dwarves had lived in the tunnel. The writings on the tunnel walls are believed to have been created 300 years ago, so they believe that the dwarves have long since died out. This has intrigued many of the scholars in The Forest, as they believe that there is knowledge to be gained from further researching the dwarves.

However, there are those that say nothing good can come from exploring the dwarve's lives further; after all, the dwarves did die out unexplainably. I for one think that these dwarves could have developed mining techniques that we could sell to the other races of the land, and this far outweighs the so called danger by far. So I, Playno Goldenleaf will personally fund the further excavation of the discovered tunnel.

Note: After this entry in the governor’s diary, the entries became illegible, and I could only find seemingly random words that survived the ages.

II: Letter that was found in the tunnel, written by Lisadar Oakflower

Please, anyone who finds this letter, please save us from the horrible fate that we have been doomed to! They will find us soon, and then the unthinkable will happen, just as it happened to the remaining members of our team. I might as well start from the beginning, in order to give you an idea of the Hell that we are living with.

It all started when the Grand Council of our Forest called me to the stand before them. I arrived, wondering what honor, or punishment, I was going to receive. However, the Council gave me neither. Instead, they asked me if I would be willing to participate in an excavation project to discover more about the caverns that riddle the ground beneath our Forest. I accepted eagerly, for I was getting frustrated with our governor for his apparent obsession with making the elves the richest race in the world, and anything to escape his endless scheming to make money sounded good at the time.

Now, the group gathered by one of the known entrances to the caverns, and upon entering, we trekked to the well known underground lake. We then clambered into the boats that we had brought with us and cast off in search for a new cavern. After days of searching, we found a small patch of land with a tunnel entrance. We set up camp on the land and started to explore the tunnel. At first, it seemed to be a natural tunnel, but soon we discovered ancient dwarven writings on the walls. We were sent a runner to tell the Council, and before further exploration was possible, we needed to stock up on supplies.

When we returned to the mysterious tunnel, we found evidence that supported that dwarves had created a small community inside the tunnel. However, we soon came to the conclusion that the dwarves had died out a while ago. We reported this dutifully to the Council and they asked us to search for any technology that the dwarvesmight’ve left behind.

We explored the tunnel to its end, at which we found a small opening in the rock wall. Through the other side, we could hear the sounds of squabbling, yelling, and fighting. Me and one other team member peered around the corner, and to our horror, discovered a terrible secret. Thousands upon thousands of goblins filled a great cavern beyond the crack. They were sleeping, eating, fighting, and breeding, all a disgusting sight to behold. Then, a few of the goblins closest to us alerted to our presence, turned and sniffed towards our direction. We fled, and called upon the other team members to help cave in the crack, making it impossible for the goblins to attack us.

After carefully retelling every detail to the other team members, we hypothesized that the goblins had discovered a tunnel leading to the cavern that they inhabited in the land to the south of our beautiful forest, Naralik. They had used the cavern as a shelter, and now the majority of the goblin population of Naralik lived in the cavern. We also presumed that the dwarves we had discovered had been excavating their tunnel, and discovered the goblin cavern. To their dismay, the goblins had swarmed through the crack and attacked the creatures. From that point on, earthquakes had reduced the crack to a hard to spot hole, and the goblins had forgotten about it.

While we had been deducing what had happened here long ago, the goblins had been busily excavating the tunnel. We were standing in small groups, discussing what our next move should be, when we heard the harsh, guttural voices of the goblin war cries. Being the farthest group from the crack in the wall, we ran and hid behind a large boulder as the other groups were torn apart by the horde of goblins.

And so I sit, writing this, hoping that one day we will be remembered. Next to me are Ilossa Featherflier, and Marim Purewater, great elves both. They are coming! They have our scent! I’m telling Marim and Ilossa to run and warn the Forest, and I see the goblins cut down Marim.

Note: After this, the parchment becomes stained with blood and nothing more is written.

III: Personal Account of Ealwen Tallgrass, citizen of The Forest of Shadows

Terrible news has reached the citizens of the Forest, Ilossa Featherflier was seen yesterday, limping towards the council. Apparently, there has been a horde of goblins that have burst from their cavern and are flooding the tunnels underneath us. The governor has been sent into exile by the council, seeing as he is in charge of our safety, and with a horde of goblins beneath us, we are hardly safe.

Patrols have been sent to the know cavern exits and entrances, and they have been holding the goblins at bay. My neighbors have fled the Forest already, seeking safety with the humans. The council is supposedly coming up with a plan to destroy the goblins, but the citizens don’t trust the Council anymore. A small group of elves, including myself have come up with a plan. We are telling all of the elves who will listen to flee into Whitestone and seek safety, in the meantime, we are perfecting our plan.

We have discovered many tunnels that extend under the ocean. Our plan is to dive beneath the water and destroy the tunnels, and flood the caverns beneath. We will carry out our plan tonight, in a final effort to destroy this plague that threatens to destroy us.

IV: Letter from Playno Goldenleaf to Nakirii Goldenleaf

Dear my beloved son,

Today, I have been cast into exile by my own people, told to roam the lands until I die. I have decided to stick around and see how the treacherous Council will deal with the crisis. Yesterday, I saw something that I hope I will never see again. I looked back at my beloved home, and the trees seemed to sink into the ground. Today, the trees have started to fall, and sea seems to be rushing into our home. The stench of dead goblins fills the air, but it has come at a great price, our home has been destroyed.

-Playno Goldenleaf

Summary:

The plan carried out by the loyal elves of The Forest of Shadows succeeded, the goblin threat was destroyed, but the home of the elves would fall as well. In time, the great trees would fall into the stagnant water, and over the years, the wood decomposed, and the tunnels beneath the once great forest collapsed. Finally, the area had turned into a swamp, and Morcraven Marsh was born. As the years passed, humans tried to settle the marsh, however, the two forts that they built soon became abandoned as goblins migrated north from Naralik.

Edited by Mori Ranmaru

I merged the new thread with the old to avoid having unnecessary double threads.

Thank you for being so prompt on finishing it. We will take it from here to get it published in game. If someone could give it another proofread over to make sure grammar and spelling are in order then it will be ready. If no one can take it immediately, then I will...so no need to set anything aside! :hiya:

It's looking good so far!

Edit on the story: Since its been a while, I took matters into my own hands and changed the "creatures" into dwarves.

The storylines forum seems kinda dead now..so heres my attempt to give it life again.

:hiya::hehe:

No, we are not dead. Just busy. Hopefully all these stories will be in the next version eh ttlanhil?

No, we are not dead. Just busy. Hopefully all these stories will be in the next version eh ttlanhil?

187437[/snapback]

eh, uhh, yeah... >_>

brom, with quint gone, can you do lotsa proofreading and such? :blush: