Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wytter

New map editor wishlist

Greetings all,

After the release of 1.0.2 I will work on adding terrain support to the map editor. This will be a major change and will require many changes in the code - So I figured that I'd just redesign it and bring it up to date with the new HUD, new optimizations and capabilities of the client etc.

So I wonder - what do you hate about the current map editor?

What should be done better?

Do you have any ideas for additions?

Have menu's for all the function commands (like ctre+e, ctrl+r, ctrl+w , etc)

Dock some info windows-expand the HUD-

-Height map tiles...would be nice if they docked to the side of the map editor when you open the height map tiles. So they stick there..don't get in the way. Just put them in a single verticle line-or horizontal across the bottom

-STuff like ctre+e, ctrl+r, ctrl+w would also be good if docked.

Particles should be rotatable. The particle interface should be in English. Particles should show their info when you click on them like any other object.

For the replace object mode, it should also replace the same object if that object has different attributes. i.e....you have tree1 self light with blue 100%. Then you have another tree1 that is not self light. You should be able to replace, using the global replace menu, so that they can all be one or the other (currently nothing gets replaced cause the replace only does the obj and not the attributes).

When you click to open new 3d objects, that icon at the top, it should open the items browser. still should be able to manually go to the files however, so just do a swap.. ctrl+b to do the icon how it is now.

Manually save height maps with objects that would work. Like trees.

Have a snap to grid feature. For trees with 1 height tile, they would snap inside a grid square. they'd already have their height map on them too..would be perfect. For trees with 4 height tiles, they would snap to their 4 height tiles.

What if you rotate a tree so its height map doenst line up with the square? any possible way for that heigh square to auto adjust itself? since its' still over the square? (i know this would be pretty much impossible for complex objs..but for smaller ones, even a little bit like this would help).

Snap to object edge feature---think of those flat plane walls.

Create Defs inside map editor..obviously this has been planned.

If you want automatical heightmap placement for objects where the heightmap will be different than the highest z (top point of the object), we will have to get that information from a different file. We could create an optional definition file for each object, which can be changed with an objects editor.

That way we'll know the correct heightmap for the object and the map makers will not have to change this themselves. The default should be the highest z value imho.

You will be able to change the heightmap yourself of course.

Snap object to heightmap, object to edge can be done - but might be the best to make it a hotkey or an option when adding 3D objects (a checkbox).

how about you being abal to highlight a section of you map them being abal to move it all in one go, or copying it and pasting it. so at the top it you had it so it only shows 3D objects then you would only highlight the 3D objects in that area's, but if you had everything showing it would take everything (2D's, 3d's, lights, patricals, highmap, ground tiles (i think thats all of them))

how about you being abal to highlight a section of you map them being abal to move it all in one go, or copying it and pasting it. so at the top it you had it so it only shows 3D objects then you would only highlight the 3D objects in that area's, but if you had everything showing it would take everything (2D's, 3d's, lights, patricals, highmap, ground tiles (i think thats all of them))

181517[/snapback]

I would like to expand upon that further by adding the following. Perhaps it would be better to have a grouping mode. Whereby you click to enter the mode then click on the various objects you would like to edit and it groups them together. Thus you could change the color, height, position of multiple things all at once without fear of having to replace many objects individually.

Also, though i'm not an official map maker so i don't know that i have much say, but perhaps it would be really good to have an undo/redo toggle as well? It would be greatly helpful.

Maybe even a mode to turn of 3d objects as well so you can edit the ground tiles underneith easier. This would make finding walkable tiles hidden under objects easier to find.

Just a few thoughts, hoping to help!

I do have a question as well, is it possible to find the game coordinates in the map editor? If not it would help a lot as well if it was possible to display what coordinate you would be at in game where your cursor hovers. Eek i don't know if that is descript enough...you tell me :D .

Edited by Quinticus

Quinticus. You need to go into the heightmap edit mode and add a heightmap - then you'll see the x, y as they should be in the .def files.

I wouldn't mind a coord or object number search.

Like type in coords and it will auto take you to that area (it will help with things like quests and such)

The same thing goes for an object ID search.

I'm just begining to fiddle around with the map maker, but I think it would be nice if you could create a charactor inside it so that you could look for bugs.

Edit: Never mind, I just found out how #test works. But a way to set the coords you appear at when you use it would be nice.

:P Dunian :battleaxe:

Edited by Dunian

Perhaps there could be a command for each object that makes it 'dominant' in the case of flickering. If the object is dominant, then when flickering can occur, that object remains on top the entire time. :P Just a thought and not even sure if that is possible.

If you want automatical heightmap placement for objects where the heightmap will be different than the highest z (top point of the object), we will have to get that information from a different file. We could create an optional definition file for each object, which can be changed with an objects editor.

That way we'll know the correct heightmap for the object and the map makers will not have to change this themselves. The default should be the highest z value imho.

You will be able to change the heightmap yourself of course.

Yes a height map editor would work. where you define the default height map for each object. And then anything you manually place in the map editor would over ride it of course.

Snap object to heightmap, object to edge can be done - but might be the best to make it a hotkey or an option when adding 3D objects (a checkbox).

I think an icon/checkbox in the HUD would do.

[This post has been reserved]

(rofl, srry guys, my dsl modem's stuffed, at my cousins house atm and I really don't have time to brainstorm what I hate about teh mapeditor and post it. when my modem comes back, I will edit this post and write them down).....

Maybe a way to make all objects see through when in heightmap mode?

185717[/snapback]

Eh..You can make them insivible, right click the 3D object button when in heightmap mode. Temporary Blending on the lot of them would be nice, though..

Eh..You can make them insivible, right click the 3D object button when in heightmap mode. Temporary Blending on the lot of them would be nice, though..

185727[/snapback]

That is what I meant ;)

Is there a way to get 1x1 water tiles? or maybe all floor tiles in 1x1 also?

185711[/snapback]

Uhm, they're like that right now. :)

If you mean 1x1 in terms of heightmap gridding, that might take a little work from Wytter/Rogue/whomever with how reformatting it would work. (Like how to get the current 6x6 ground tiles to work with 1x1 ones)

Edit:

@Vermor:

Save your map file, press ctrl+e, and alt+left click on objects and blend them individually. Your best bet if you want transparency. ;)

Another edit:

If I was to suggest something, I'd definitely ask for a way to make tiles vertical. Probably an increase in the height of heightmap tiles? Up to 6.00?

Edited by Daxon

Adjustable height of the grid.

Kind of self explanatory - if you have a few objects higher than 0.00 then you still need a grid sometimes but there is no way to adjust the height afaik.

Adjustable height of the grid.

Kind of self explanatory - if you have a few objects higher than 0.00 then you still need a grid sometimes but there is no way to adjust the height afaik.

186041[/snapback]

The + and - keys raises and lowers the grid. If that's what you mean.

Hi everyone,

we're going to change the map format, too. :) Thus, some things that weren't possible so far can become doable. Let me give you a small list of what we're already planning/discussing:

• persistent object ID (currently they're a hack)
  • object classes instead of E3D paths, the actual location of the respective E3D file can be changed globally for all maps in e3dlist.txt
  • extended object attributes (flags): minable, pickable, usable, with-usable, entrable, storage; these flags have per-class defaults but can be set per individual object
  • more possible values for the height map (eventually). This may be used for a higher precision (really?), higher max or min values, or multiple of these.
  • terrain: optionally you will be able to add a terrain map to your map so you don't need to model complex terrain using 3D objects
  • animation objects (eventually): allow to place 3D objects in looping animation and allow for objects that move in the wind*.
  • multiple levels: allow for actors to be placed over and under each other in certain areas
  • different movement types: walking, swimming, flying
  • Small support: allow scripting (interactivity and complex animation) for maps
  • continent info: save the placement on the continents in the map file.

If you have comments or additions to these plans/ideas, please file them here. Also if you have ideas that require a map format change, please put them in this wishlist, so that we eventually can do them along with the format update.

*) They will be a special kind of animation that is tweaked by the current weather

I haven't even played with mapeditor, so if this is already covered, please disregard... I've skimmed the mapeditor readme though

it would be good if you could completely compartmentalise maps. this is mainly for the indoor maps

it has been possible before to occasionally see another room when inside, if you have the right angle and zoom, the perspective makes this far easier.

at a minimum, having a tall black wall between all rooms would work, but if each room was isolated into its own area, and other areas not loaded (for display) then you save rendering time and don't get to see other places

if possible, could the heighmap be assumed from the ground tiles? this is coming from the problem of map 'holes' in some places

the readme says about putting spacing around things like houses (so people don't get too close)... is it practical to automate this?

perhaps a randomiser for stuff like trees and rocks and all, so the creator doesn't have to worry about adjusting them to look different

and on that topic... a map optimizer that searches for tiles/objects that wouldn't be seen(covered, clear, whatever), and removes/NULLs them?

and with the persistent object ID thingy, does that open the possibility for maps to affect each other, like smoke from a chimny outside only if fire inside is lit?

again, I'm not a map maker, just storylines and a bit of code. I'm excited about the things lachesis posted though! (and full of ideas... uhoh!)

it would be good if you could completely compartmentalise maps. this is mainly for the indoor maps

it has been possible before to occasionally see another room when inside, if you have the right angle and zoom, the perspective makes this far easier.

at a minimum, having a tall black wall between all rooms would work, but if each room was isolated into its own area, and other areas not loaded (for display) then you save rendering time and don't get to see other places

I like it. :P

if possible, could the heighmap be assumed from the ground tiles? this is coming from the problem of map 'holes' in some places

If you mean by heightmaps placing themselves via their ground tiles, some tiles (water) do that automatically.

If you mean by objects having the heightmap pre-done before placing the object, just push ctrl+h and drop objects: the heightmap is done :)

If you meant neither, disregard because I couldn't interpret that right. :(

the readme says about putting spacing around things like houses (so people don't get too close)... is it practical to automate this?

It's not a huge convenience as it is. Don't worry. :)

perhaps a randomiser for stuff like trees and rocks and all, so the creator doesn't have to worry about adjusting them to look different

Hold ctrl when placing objects. Works very well for 2d. Only copies for 3d though.

and on that topic... a map optimizer that searches for tiles/objects that wouldn't be seen(covered, clear, whatever), and removes/NULLs them?

Smart.

and with the persistent object ID thingy, does that open the possibility for maps to affect each other, like smoke from a chimny outside only if fire inside is lit?

That would probably require a bit of programming, but sounds very good. :P

:)

Edited by Daxon