Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

Channel List?

I'm thinking of writing a channel primer, which I'd offer to el.net

before that, I wanna write the appendix, the list of all specified channels.

please post channels not currently listed, even if it's just a common meeting place you'd like included (like the alchemist union using 765), and comments if appropriate (such as times people are often there)

1 ~ newbie help

2 ~ general help

3 ~ market channel

4 ~ EL general

5 ~ roleplay channel

6 ~ contests/events/invasions

11 ~ Prattler's Tales

20 ~ offtopic (non-EL)

23 ~ Czech and Slovak

24 ~ Irilion chat

42 ~ Wanderingfool / the ultimate answer channel

44 ~ Polish language

105 ~ Turkish language

111 ~ Hungarian language

124 ~ The_Piper's EternalTrivia

206 ~ German language

231 ~ Swedish language

242 ~ Italian language

255 ~ Spanish language

300 ~ Guild Union channel

381 ~ Serbian/Ex-Yugoslavian/Croatian/Bosnian

500 ~ Portuguese language

777 ~ African languages

888 ~ French language

999 ~ Romanian language

1192 ~ Japanese language

1500 ~ Dutch language

2000 ~ Irish language

4900 ~ Russian language

9872 ~ *nix channel (linux, *BSD, etc)

1,000,000,000+ guild channels (don't report these :P )

unset ~ lost & found channel

unset ~ market & chat / offtopic market

(there are probably worth having, but need a new number)

please note: channels 1-20 are official ones. no-one but game admin may claim/assign them.

please note that if you want a channel that isn't likely to have many people visiting it, it will be better to have a channel number above 100 or even above 1000.

I'll add more to the list as I find out about them.

even if there's one I should have known about (flame channel, etc), if it's not posted, please do so 8^)

ed: flames channel is no longer on the list. If you wish to cuss and insult people(and you have their permission), keep it private so the rest of EL doesn't have to be aware of it

any updates, further information (within reason, I don't want much info per channel unless there's good reason), or alterations, also, please post

ta

~ttlanhil

Edited by ttlanhil

added chan 300. and *BUMP*ed. any more channels people have to report? even if it's not used much (I expect that use of channels will pick up a lot when we get multi-channel chat)

Edited by ttlanhil

Okay, I finally got around to writing the primer. Everyone please pick apart any mistakes, things that don't read well, things that shouldn't be included, or things that should have been

don't mind the format, as the headings and table of channels will be different when it's ready for final copy. Some things will also be dot-pointed, to make it a bit clearer. There'll also be a content page once done up.

Just need the content checked

Also, the over #1000 is something I'm not certain of... not sure if it was 100+ or 1000+. went with the second, because then it's still right either way :sneaky:

if it was 100+, please note that

edit: ugh, just noticed how long some of those lines are. rewording of some of the longer lines to make them more succint (while still accurate) is welcome

Channel Primer

Note: This document was written while we can only use a single channel at one time. When we are able to use multiple channels at once, some of the information herein will be outdated.

Introduction
While you can make do without using chat channels, many things become far simpler if you can use them.
There are channels set aside for a number of uses, and many more available for anyone to use as a meeting place without having to all meet up in the same place.

Commands/Usage
The first command you will need to know is `#jc', for Join Channel. To use this command, you need to enter the number of the channel you wish to join. For example, `#jc 1' to join the newbie help channel.
If the server knows the name, it will reply with having joined that channel, otherwise it will just give the number. Example: `You joined the newbie channel.'
Next up, you will need to be able to post to the channel. To do this, simply put an `@' in front of your text, eg for channel 1: `@Hello everybody!'. Please note that if you have a space before the `@', it will be posted in the local area instead of on the channel.
When talking in the local area, text will have the name followed by a colon, followed by the sentance. eg: `ttlanhil: hi, welcome to eternal lands!'. In a channel, it looks slightly different, having square brackets around the name, eg: `[ttlanhil]: hi, welcome to eternal lands!'
If you're not sure which channel you're on, or want to see how many people are on the channel, use `#ci', for Channel Information.
The server will return the info, similar to the following (again channel 1): `You are on the channel #1, and there are currently 26 players on this channel'
And finally, to leave a channel, use `#lc'. You will get the following: `You left the channel'

Rules
All of the other game rules apply, of course, but there are a few in particular that relate to channels.
Most relavant is the rule about off-topic conversation in channels 1 & 3.
Channel 1, or the newbie help channel, is intended to be the best place for people to get answers to questions about how to play and similar issues. While it's called the newbie channel, nearly all questions about playing the game are accepted, though priority can be given to the newbie questions when things get busy.
Of course, it's no good if we don't have any conversation for long periods of time, because then newbies may think there's nobody around. So some off-topic talk is allowed. It's strongly prefered that the off-topic talk is still EL-related, though, and off-topic talk should pause whenever questions are asked. Some people with questions may also feel reluctant to interrupt, so people will usually say "Topic" when there's too much off-topic conversation.
Channel 3, the market channel, also has rules against off-topic talk, and is stricter about them. Channel 3 is also a lot busier, so there's not a lot of time for off-topic chatter anyway.
While only Moderators and Newbie Helpers(those with NH powers... anyone answering questions is still helping newbies 8^) can enforce the rules, you shouldn't ignore anyone else on the channel who says that things are getting off-topic. They can easily call for a Mod to help, after all... and Mods have better things to be doing than dealing with people who don't follow the rules.
It may be worth pointing out that under the rule of lying to/scamming newbies, channel 1 is somewhat of a special case. It can generally be assumed there are a number of newbies there at any time, so don't give bad advice there, even as a joke.

Channel 1 specifics:
When asking a question, remember that the people there are volunteering to help, they're not paid or anything (no-one is paid to work on EL, all of the developers are providing stuff for free)
There's often several things happening at once, and they may need to look up the answer to your question (this is quite common, and doesn't take as long as you may think. The regulars in channel 1 typically know where to get the information from). If you don't get an answer after a page or two of chat, unless thigns are moving very fast, then you can assume that people missed your question. Post again, but no more than three times. After that, just assume nobody knows. Either ask again later, use #help_me to contact Mods (they often know a lot that the regulars of channel 1 don't), or post on the forums.
Also, if you have a question, just ask. Don't ask to ask a question, or say that you have one, that just wastes time, as you'll have to ask the question shortly anyway.
Please be polite, patient, don't overuse capital letters or punctuation, and don't be lazy. If it's easy to read, we'll be happier to answer. And saying a quick thank you rarely ever hurts (but be sensible, don't say thank you for every peice of information you get from the channel 8^)
Quite often you'll be given a link or told where to find the answer on the forums. This is the best option in those cases, you can read a lot of information there without having to wait for people to type. In many cases, you'll probably want to read over those pages again anyway. An example is the books. Asking where to find the book on XXX will often get an answer like `[ttlanhil]: for info on research books: http://el-cel.com/Info/Books.php (press F2)'. Just stateing the location may be quicker, if they know it off hand, but you knowing the link means you have a lot of other information at your disposal.
Unless you have an issue of a delicate matter or it has reasons not to be discussed in public (like secret areas), then it's better to ask on channel. Don't send a private message, and don't ask others to message you. Chances are, if you found a problem, then others did too, and this may save the question getting asked and answered again a minute later. If it's of a sensitive nature, you should probably contacting the Mods (with #help_me) anyway.
Oh, and please be tollerant if the people answering your questions aren't always completely polite. They may have just answered the same question a dozen times in PMs (see above for the problem), or had someone abuse them because they posted a link rather than the answer (oh yes, there are a lot of people who get abusive if they don't get what they want, when they want, exactly how they want), or just be having a bad day. 

Channel 3 Specifics:
One term that you will often see is `pc item'. PC stands for price check, that roughly translates to `How much is item worth?'
Quite often, people won't want to trade with you if you are only buying/selling a small amount. It depends on the item, of course, but it would be highly uncommon for people on the market channel to buy/sell 1 potion at a time. They're usually traded in the dozens or hundreds. 

Moderation
If the Mods do have to take action, they have a range of options. Usually them saying `Topic' on the channel is enough to calm things down, and they can also send private messages if there are people who need particular attention. If that doesn't work, they have some powers they can use. Higher level Moderators can use more of these commands.
They can cause the list of rules to come up on the players' screen, with the rule they broke highlighted.
They can kick the player to channel 4 (or 5, and probably other ones).
They can mute the player, so they can't post on any channel anymore.
If someone is causing trouble on channel 1, they can be `denoobed'. This is basically a ban from being able to join channel 1.
In more severe cases, the player can also be kicked out of the server, or even banned from playing. (Note: if you get affected by a ban on someone else, you can post on the forums to have your character(s) whitelisted, so you can still play)

If you disagree with a moderators' actions, the worst thing to do is challenge them in public. This will only stir up more trouble.
To start with, send them a private message, being civil, and explain why you think they may have misinterpreted or overreacted.
The next option is to ask from help from other Mods. In most cases, this will have similar results to the first option, Mods usually discuss the more severe actions amongst themselves, and less severe ones are pretty well defined. It's more if there is a misunderstanding or similar that you are likely to be proven `right'.
If they took more serious action, or you don't feel that other Mods can help(talking to them first is better if appropriate, however), you can contact the admin. That would currently mean sending a forum PM to Roja. Clearly explain what happened, and post a chatlog that shows everything relevant, and trim whatever isn't. Roja is quite busy, but she does read PMs and reply if you send a sensible message. 

List of channels
(this list was compiled with the help of people who read the forums, <a href=http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15179>http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15179</a>)

0 ~ null channel. Attempting to join channel 0 is the same as leaving your current channel
1 ~ newbie help
2 ~ general help (newbie help is far more often used)
3 ~ market channel
4 ~ general chat (general as relates to EL. This is also the place where guild recruitment takes place)
5 ~ offtopic chat (any topic that doesn't break rules about language, sexism, racism, etc.)
8 ~ market & chat / offtopic market (Like the market channel, but chatting is allowed and welcome)
9 ~ lost & found channel
11 ~ flames channel (you can insult and swear here as long as it's called the flames channel)
42 ~ Wanderingfool/the ultimate answer channel (WanderingFool is a bot who will run a game of trivia here when online)
44 ~ Polish language
50 ~ RolePlay channel
105 ~ Turkish language
111 ~ Hungarian language
187 ~ Pig Latin language
206 ~ German language
300 ~ Guild Union channel
421 ~ storylines channel
500 ~ Portugese language
666 ~ death report channel
765 ~ unofficial chat of alchemist union
888 ~ French language
999 ~ Romanian language
1337 ~ Dutch language
4900 ~ Russian language
9872 ~ *nix channel (linux, *BSD, etc)
1,000,000,000+ guild channels (Each guild also gets a channel, that's what these are for)

Note that in channels that aren't set aside for any purpose, and are over 1,000, you are allowed to swear and insult people

Edited by ttlanhil

<cut for clarity>

111 ~ Hungarian language

Note that in channels that aren't set aside for any purpose, and are over 1,000, you are allowed to swear and insult people

179526[/snapback]

Two questions/opinions/whatever:

1.) isn't 111 < 124? I'd think that 111 would come before 124 in numerical order. Oh well, just didn't look right to me.

2.) I could be wrong, but I thought that rule of thumb was over 100, not 1,000. Not that there still aren't plenty of channels for that if that's what you want to do...

1.) isn't 111 < 124?  I'd think that 111 would come before 124 in numerical order.  Oh well, just didn't look right to me.

whoops! good spotting. fixed.

2.) I could be wrong, but I thought that rule of thumb was over 100, not 1,000.  Not that there still aren't plenty of channels for that if that's what you want to do...

179595[/snapback]

yeah, not sure on this one. If I don't get a definative answer I'll stick with 1,000, that way it will still be correct. plus people going to them at random are less likely to run into one of the language channels

whoops! i missed out one of the critical parts, don't ask to ask a question! fixed now.

this was actually one of the things that got me wanting to write a primer, so I better include it 8^)

DeathBag Channel - For general chat/spam regarding deathbags

The topic of "DeathBags" has become, in a sense, official by means of popularity. Therefore, it seems only suitable that this would be placed in the range of official channels.

Channel 9 seems like a good possibility because I never see anyone there, and it is within the range of one digit, semi-official channels.

Final Suggestion:

Channel 9 ~ Deathbag lost and found

DeathBag Channel - For general chat/spam regarding deathbags

183384[/snapback]

I've generalised a bit, and put #9 in as the `Lost & found channel'. that suits deathbags as well as possibly covering a few other things

until people are used to multi-channel chat, though, and even then... we won't be rid of people asking on chans 1 & 3

Is it too late to add 421 as the Storylines channel?

If not i'd like to register this spot for Storylines purposes.

:axeman_rune: grrrrrrr...get up off my channel :icon13::mace::)

...errrr i mean, anyone interested in helping with storylines please join us on channel 421

Is it too late to add 421 as the Storylines channel?
nope!
If not i'd like to register this spot for Storylines purposes.
done!
:axeman_rune: grrrrrrr...get up off my channel  :icon13:  :mace:  :)
erm... yess...
...errrr i mean, anyone interested in helping with storylines please join us on channel 421

183507[/snapback]

works for me, another channel to sit on once multi-chan makes it easy 8^)

the channel primer has been posted to EL.net!

so now changes/additions will be listed here, and now and then I'll send them to placid :P

255 ~ spanish language

242 ~ italian language

Edited by ttlanhil

the channel primer has been posted to EL.net!

so now changes/additions will be listed here, and now and then I'll send them to placid  :P

184568[/snapback]

Could I request a channel for my storybot? He reads stories on request, but I don't want to spam the local talk in Whitestone City near the flower shop.

I thought about using channel 105, but I see from the list it's already reserved.

Would 17 be okay?

Dave

Could I request a channel for my storybot? He reads stories on request, but I don't want to spam the local talk in Whitestone City near the flower shop.

I thought about using channel 105, but I see from the list it's already reserved.

Would 17 be okay?

Dave

213008[/snapback]

better to have higher number channels for things that aren't as vital. stuff under 100 should probably be only for frequent use by a number of people, while over 100 for whatever. I know it's not completely like this at the moment, but I think it's better to try to reserve the low numbers

better to have higher number channels for things that aren't as vital. stuff under 100 should probably be only for frequent use by a number of people, while over 100 for whatever. I know it's not completely like this at the moment, but I think it's better to try to reserve the low numbers

213010[/snapback]

Perhaps 117 then?

Dave

I don't see Channel 22 on the list.

It's the official contest channel.

Perhaps 117 then?

Dave

213060[/snapback]

okay, added

I don't see Channel 22 on the list.

It's the official contest channel.

213104[/snapback]