Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

Courier Jobs/stock Market

For something new to do... how about courier/stock market jobs?

During a search, the closest I found was this which is different from what I'm suggesting.

You could have a 'industry' setup, with players providing transport, for example: player brings wood to NPC1, NPC1 then offers paper, to be taken to NPC2, who then offers blank books to be taken to NPC3, who then provides written (non research) books to be sold to a library.

You could also have an entry point that does not buy resources, for example, farmer offers grain, miller buys grain and sells flour, baker buys flour and water (bucket, not essence), selling bread, which is then sold to some NPC in a town somewhere.

For any 'industry' type, an NPC that converts a stock item, we can assume they have a very large amount stored, as a starting level. They keep a counter that increases when they buy an item, and decreases when they sell, this counter will show supply/demand and can be used to set dynamic prices(rounded off)

There could also be a slight effect based on distance to travel, the further you go, the more you get paid, but this could be unneeded work.

You would be able to store the items, stockpiling them, and hope the prices get better, but running the risk of them getting worse. There could also be random pseudo supply issues at initial point, and demand issues at end point, IE farmed in drought, needs more money per grain, or barracks kitchen has less soldiers in, less demand for bread.

If you play it safe, this sytem would offer similar money to harvesting flowers, so it's nto really a big profit center. If you play the stock markets, you can win big, but you can also lose big, and overall it should retain ballance (thanks to the counters).

A few of the NPCs can be used that we already have (such as librarians if you sell books), but more would be needed (I'd be happy to help write up NPC conversations and descriptions).

This would probably also need many new items and icons for said items.

questions/comments?

I think a stock market is a great idea.

Even using just gc instead of items...depending on the "company" you choose to invest in, events in EL would affect their value. Example: If you invest in "Joe's Feed and Grain", inclement weather, bug infestations, livestock disease could all affect the stock price. Or if we have a particularly bad day of mother nature, stock price in "Aisy's Pickaxe Co." could go up since more people would be buying pickaxes.

Minor note: travel distance really doesn't affect how much you earn in any given job, you know where you live and where the job is when you accept it :D

I'm trying to stay away from shares in companies and such, and stick to commodities, because that better fits in the medieval setting. You buy from one place, sell to another.

and if the buyer knows that there's a big distance, they will have a base price slightly adjusted to be appropriate to this