Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jakoblin

About Pickaxe Suggestion

You have never harvested titaium or diamonds have you?

170819[/snapback]

No, I am still at the Sapphires and Emeralds stage. I can mine diamonds but haven't bothered yet, and I need one more nexus to mine titanium.

Hap_Loder

You have never harvested titaium or diamonds have you?

For those items it is not uncommon to have 3 (or more pickaxes broken).

But i agree it is not much of a money sink, but it something.

170819[/snapback]

I gave up on diamonds rather quick when I realised there's not a great need for them (sapphire is the gem or choice) but I do go titanium mining. I only ever take two pickaxen with me, sometimes also coal+FE to process there (which means I may go through like 7-800 ore or something) sometimes I come back with both pickaxen, slightly less often only one. very rarely will I have to come back early.

I'm currently like 38 on the harv top50 list, and it sure seems like my high level has reduced the events.

oh yeah, and because of the cost of pickaxen (maybe it should go up 10x or something) it's not hard to get an inv-full and chuck into storage. that's 500 something gc. not much compared to the profits f flowers and such

Making pickaxes is silly IMO.

163019[/snapback]

Yeah...

Make pickaxes makeable and you'll soon end up with making thread from animal bladders.

Well we can do thread now... how about to do PICKAXE...

TIT,STEEL,IRON (thats what the original post was)

but i was thinking something like you buy the pickaxe like you always do... but u can ADD SOME POLISHED GELMS to make tham hard! with some other attributes. I know that with the new rings and stuff craftiners have a lot of things to explore... but i think this could be good to add a good harv lvl too... for exp

adding diam make it more hard so it wont break so easy

adding ruby will make a +2 radiation protection

just saying bulshit, 0 am here but it could add some nre stuff so

good manu, good craf and good harv lvl to get extra protection maybe a +10 harv lvl to harv faster... dont know...

cheers

I had been thinking about pickaxes, but for an entirely different reason: to add realism to the mining of hydrogenium/wolframite.

Why do you need an S2E to mine hydrogenium? It's arbitrary. It's silly. It was chosen so that there's a long production chain per hydrogenium ore. That's a logical (and wise) decision to make. It's still a silly choice of items, however.

Ideally, you would have consumable equipment specifically designed for mining, not "fighting weapons". So, to the current situation, you would have:

Iron pickaxe: Normal pickaxe.

Drill + steel drill bit: Like a pickaxe, but only the bit can break. Unlike a pickaxe, can harvest wolframite, but the bit always breaks. The bit has a long production chain.

Drill + diamond drill bit: Like the steel drill bit, but can also harvest hydrogenium (always breaks on it)

Other pieces of mining equipment could be introduced in there -- steel and titanium pickaxes, titanium and other gem drill bits, etc. What would go into making drill bits? Why, whatever you want to increase demand for in the economy, that's what! :fire:

Guys, this thread is 19 months old.... and do we necro age old threads?

I have 2 things to tell you

1) If i dont

Do a search or read previous posts BEFORE making a suggestion in this forum!

I DO want to talk about this.. so if i do not post here my post will be deleted...

2) Like you said this post has more than 1 year, EL change a lot, not only the game it also change players.. so talking this thing again will bring new ideas.

Drill + steel drill bit: Like a pickaxe, but only the bit can break. Unlike a pickaxe, can harvest wolframite, but the bit always breaks. The bit has a long production chain.

Drill + diamond drill bit: Like the steel drill bit, but can also harvest hydrogenium (always breaks on it)

mmm i dont think ent will like that... i think the sword things its cool... i never saw 2ed and steel long been sold in the channel 3... that work the way that it should be....

What i was trying to say was that the pickaxe could be Augmented, like Leather Pants can be. So the new items could be like

Adding diam you get a 1/20 of breaking reduction but the emu its like 3x

Adding xxx give you a +10/20 harv lvl but increase the braking 4 times...

adding yyy gives you more protection but .....

Edited by mauriciom

Guys, this thread is 19 months old.... and do we necro age old threads?

If they make a new post it will get closed because they didn't search, if they bring up an old post it isn't good either?

Anyway I think the pickaxe idea for hydro and wolfram would be cool. Like mold an s2e in a pickaxe shape and mix an extra wood handle with it :(

(Who makes spirit essences? They are a great way of taking money from the economy).

I'm making :(

And more items to make = more fun

then i think pickaxe should be manuablet too ;p

Edited by ArcantriS

It is ok to present a new idea ina new thread,. Jumping on a thread which says "I want this to be like Runescape" is not a good thing.

The break rate does not depend on the pickaxe but the difficulty or the hardness of the ore/mineral in question, so the pickaxe stays the same.

Making a pickaxe give you more harvest levels is just plain silly, that would totally defeat the purpose of having levels. Remember that level influencing things must be consumable, like a potion or (to some extent) a ring.

mmm i dont think ent will like that... i think the sword things its cool... i never saw 2ed and steel long been sold in the channel 3... that work the way that it should be....

It's illogical. What exactly is this "breaking sword" doing in the mining process? It makes no sense from a physical standpoint -- only from an economic standpoint. Even ent says that it makes no sense (see below).

As for getting them on the marketplace, what's the point of getting them on the marketplace when they're not *actually* being used as swords, apart from the aforementioned economic stimulus that could be equally achieved by drill bits?

As for Entropy's opinion, perhaps he'll weigh in, but here's what he wrote on his blog:

The mining, however, will be extremely difficult. Not only that it is in a very inaccessible places, past a cave full of dangers with extreme heat areas that can kill weak players in a second, in addition to being a PK map. Not only that you will need a high harvesting skill (to be determined). But the worst of all, which will make the hydrogenium ore very expensive indeed, is that it will require a 'consumable item' to be harvested.

The consumable item is a new and sadistic addition to the game, that only my evil mind could conceive. Basically, from now on, all the rare harvestible stuff will require an item to be sacrificed in order to harvest the ore.

And what better item can be used to harvest hydrogenium than a Steel Two Edged Sword? :D

Again, you will not be required to WEAR it to harvest the hydrogenium, you will be required to have one in your inventory. And for each hydrogenium ore you TRY to harvest, whether you fail or not, whether you are full or not, a Steel Two Edged Sword from your inventory will disappear.

Does this makes sense? Hardly. But don't forget that this is a game, and the real life rules do not apply here. And if you think that the real life rules make sense, try to explain the mechanism behind the quantum entanglement :D

Now, what will the hydrogenium ore be used for? Hydrogenium bars, of course. How many? 10 for one bar (subject to change).

The bars will be used in combination with other metals such as steel and titanium to create the new armors/shields.

In case you are wondering why the requirements are so excessive, they are so for a few reasons:

1. To encourage people to manufacture and sell their bounty of Steel Two Edged Swords.

2. To prevent macroing and overproduction of the hydrogenium bars, and, implicitly, the new armors. (keeping them rare)

3. To remove some of the mindlessness of harvesting.

4. To encourage people to go to the new continent.

5. To encourage some politics, such as guilds guarding the entrance to the hydrogenium cave, protection fees, and so on.

Please explain to me how using a consumable drill bit doesn't achieve Entropy's goals. My best bet would be that ent didn't want to have to implement a new item just for mining (which would mean that this whole pickaxe discussion is moot) -- something I can certainly understand, given that you have to do modelling, create an image of the item, and work it into the code. Perhaps he will weigh in on the topic. :)

(Who makes spirit essences? They are a great way of taking money from the economy).

I'm making :D

And more items to make = more fun

then i think pickaxe should be manuablet too ;p

Look at the quote date newb, it was from when mercury could only be gotten for 10gc at Harvey.

It is ok to present a new idea ina new thread,. Jumping on a thread which says "I want this to be like Runescape" is not a good thing.

I'd bet you 20kgc that if someone had made a new thread saying something like "we should have different kinds of pickaxes" it would either be deleted, locked, or "dude this has been suggested before use search PLZ!~" 'd

Easier in this case to just bring back an old discussion.

The break rate does not depend on the pickaxe but the difficulty or the hardness of the ore/mineral in question, so the pickaxe stays the same.
Don't think you know what you're talking about, I guess. Why do you think we (RL) don't harvest diamonds with iron pickaxes? They'd break, so we use more durable stuff, like diamonds (or lasers, with no break rate obviously.

Making a pickaxe give you more harvest levels is just plain silly, that would totally defeat the purpose of having levels. Remember that level influencing things must be consumable, like a potion or (to some extent) a ring.
Same thing goes for summoning stones. A yeti stone has a better effect (in terms of combat) than level 60 summoning and 5 animal nexus.

It's illogical. What exactly is this "breaking sword" doing in the mining process? It makes no sense from a physical standpoint -- only from an economic standpoint. Even ent says that it makes no sense (see below).
Of course it's illogical...we're harvesting a non existant ore with a steel sword. ;)

However, it balances the economy nicely, and that's more important at the moment

Don't think you know what you're talking about, I guess. Why do you think we (RL) don't harvest diamonds with iron pickaxes? They'd break, so we use more durable stuff, like diamonds (or lasers, with no break rate obviously.

I am talking about the Eternal lands game and not about RL. So I know what I am talking about, I guess.

Edited by Derin

yeah, but it should be co-dependent on both the hardness of the harvestable and the hardness/durability of your harvesting tool.

Great idea :D

ehm ... that was in the first few posts only ... I think the subject of this topic changed to EL alone in the posts afterwards. So the fact that RS was originally used as example does no longer matter (at least not to me)

So far we have in this thread as ideas I like: :mace:

Iron axe, breaks easiest, is cheapest

Steel axe, like normal axe atm

Tit axe, breaks les often, is more expensive

Idea I dislike:

Make pickaxes manuable ... please dont ;)

Now addition to all the ideas from me Atlantis (previous post grumble):

Add the factor of the ore.

At coal you get a lower breakrate (iron still breaks easy where tit axe hardly breaks on coal)

All the way up to the hardest ores/minerals normal axes can harvest:

Diamonds and Tit ore, on wich the tit axes will break somewhere in the range of normal axes now

( Make breakage also strength of character and/or Harvest level dependend :brooding: )

[[i also had a total other idea about harvesting ... but doesnt really fit here ... let's see if I can find another old thread :) ]]

GarfieldClown

/edited a mistake

Edited by GarfieldClowntje

So far we have in this thread as ideas I like: :)

Iron axe, breaks easiest, is cheapest

Steel axe, like normal axe atm

Tit axe, breaks les often, is more expensive

now how about we have a rune pickaxe as well :brooding:

most of these are the same concepts from other game

I dont play RS, never did, prob. never will. I Like EL too much to change it

But, I really would like this addition for EL, with all it's purposes etc.

And those drills for hydro and wolf ores ... are those found in other games as well?

I think EL is an unique game, since it is slowly build from the ground till where it is now. Since I dont play other MMORPG's I cant say for sure ... but I highly think EL is very unique.

It is from players that have played both RS and EL that they kinda see some comparison ... but is that wrong? EL will probably keep developing EL-wise and RS will probably keep developing RS-wise. And only speaking for EL, I think this would be a good addition to the game, no matter how many other games have it.

That an idea or concept is used in another game is not a reason to dismiss it for use in EL, if it has arisen independantly and fits logically with what we already have.

I've been playing RPGs since they started, and have not seen anything really original for a very long time.

Edited by trollson

i'm ok with that break rate changing thing (also hope damage will be different so as for the the effects :>)

but to get back to the first idea, i don't like that thing about changing harvesting soeed... there would be too much ore and price would crash.

A possible reason s2es were chosen and not, say, iron chainmail, is because of their abundance at the time, due to overproduction and monster drops.

Edited by freeone3000

1. To encourage people to manufacture and sell their bounty of Steel Two Edged Swords.

Please explain to me how using a consumable drill bit doesn't achieve Entropy's goals.

he wanted the new metals to get rid of the stockpiles of weapons created by lvl grinding manu.

Please explain to me how using a consumable drill bit doesn't achieve Entropy's goals.

he wanted the new metals to get rid of the stockpiles of weapons created by lvl grinding manu.

You mean people were trying to level on S2E's? How strange....they use alot of ingreds.