Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quinticus

Storylines Contest

That’s right guys! Today we’re kicking off the Short Story Contest!

Now we are opening up the contest for songs and poems!

Within the next few updates, the developers are hoping to put readable books into libraries and various other places in EL. On top of using them for quest material, they would like to put some of your work into these books! So, the winners of the contest will have their work incorporated into the Eternal Lands.

We are now opening up the competition for songs and poems. This will run parallel to the short stories. There will be two sets of prizes, so you have two chances of winning!.

Here are the specifications SHORT STORIES:

IT MUST BE A SHORT STORY (by short we mean don’t write a novel :))!

You have 3 weeks in which to write your story.

It must be 6+ Paragraphs long (paragraph being 5-6+ sentences).

Mistakes happen, but please check spelling and gammer ( :D )

Obviously it must be about EL.

Please read the Story page on the EL website so you know what ideas have already been taken.

Also there are several stories under way on the storylines board, these are not allowed to be entered.

We want everyone to start from scratch!

Please post your entry here in storylines section!

Poems/songs Specificatons:

It must be at least 15 lines long

You have 3 weeks to make your entries

Once again, it definately must be about EL.

No past work can be accepted. Start from scratch!

Please post your entries here in the storylines section!

After these things it’s pretty much open.

I will be asking various developers and others proficient in writing to judge the stories beginning May 25. That’s 3 weeks from today! They will have a week to make their decisions.

But wait! Why should judges have the only say? It’s our game too!

In an effort to make this more player oriented, we’re going to post a poll on May 25 as well to let the players decide who’s story they like the best. It will be a 50/50 split between the player’s choice and the judge’s choice.

Oh yeah…I almost forgot…What’s in it for you?

Well first place will have their story placed in every library on Seridia, then in various libraries on the second continent when it comes online. Second through fifth place will have their stories scattered throughout EL so people can read them as they explore the lands.

That’s not all, though! We have other great prizes thanks to various players and guilds. Also we’re working on getting more! In the coming months we will be working out what places get which prizes! Hopefully we will have enough prizes for everyone that enters.

Prizes

Short Stories------------------ Poems/songs

Full Plate Armor--------------- Full Plate Armor

1 Titanium Serpant Sword-- 1 Titanium Axe

25 Disengagement Ring-----25 Disengagement Ring

1 Monster Mag. Cape--------1 Monster Mag Cape

1 Body Piercing Cape-------- 2 EFE

1 EFE-------------------------- 2000 Health Essence

8 Titanium Short------------ 8 Titanium Short

8 Titanium Long------------- 8 Titanium Long

This just about cleans out my inventory :D. I have the O.K. from roja to be sponsored with some other great items. I'm still working on those. Thanks to all who have donated thus far. These people are:

Shivar, Lord Vermor, Ttlanhil, Ice, and others!

If your name has been left off the list please PM me and i will see it fixed.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Quinticus

Just want to add my encouragement: Don't be afraid to post! If you don't have any ideas on what to write about, you can try looking at the Random Story Ideas for Beginner Writers thread, which is also Pinned on the Forum right now. Even if you don't win, there are other ways we can use your story, so don't feel disappointed. It's not only the winner that gets published. Any and all good stories stand a chance.

Please start a new topic for each story you post. You are allowed to submit more than one story for the contest, but no more than 3. We would rather prefer you to spend time working on making one or two short stories really really good rather than writing a whole bunch of half-done stories. :)

Good luck!

-Lyn-

I wouldn't mind if anyone submitted poetry or even songs (lyrics) (that can be adapted to the EL universe, of course). I'm not sure if it'd be accepted in this contest, but if it's good enough we might accept it in the next version of EL :ph34r:

Edited by Wytter

What we can do is the following: open up a separate category in the contest for Poetry/Songs, with different prizes. Quinticus, if you would be so kind, please divide the current prizes we have into Prizes for Stories and Prizes for Poetry/Song. Again, each person may only submit up to 3 entries per category (a total of 6 entries maximum).

Jokes are not eligible for prizes, but if anyone feels like submitting a collection of them for publication... it can be looked into. :ph34r:

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

That works for me. What I'll do then, is open up a new category for songs/poems. Then, if i understand Roja correctly, we can still use the ones that won in the bardic competition in the game. We will allow only new material, just like with short stories. I will work on digging up some more prizes for both categories then.

Just making a thread to keep a list of all contest entries.

Zoki:

Dream Come Truth

The Attack at Tarsengaard

Ttlanhil:

Reporting in

Pineapplebob

A Rabbits Life - poem

Enchanted jewelry

Discussion at the Meditation Pool - Poem

The Buzzin Bee - Song

Sirrobin:

The Bunny Who Could - Poem

What of the Foxes - Poem

Cho_Yun:

The Curse of the Castle

Eternal Lands Poem - Poem

Rivan Warriors Poem - Poem

He is Just a Noob - Song

Ogle:

A poem, A poem - Poem

Razia:

Gemlight Still -poem

The Ballad of the new player - poem

Jezzabelle:

Eternal Lands - poem

Greeknight

Whitestone City's Clash

Wildcard:

Shivar's Poem - Song/Poem

Changeyourname:

The Path of a Warrior

Damned Angel:

Night of the Shadowcaster

Foncemerlin:

I Have Your Bag At Beam My Friend - Poem

These Eternal Lands - Poem

Derin:

An Exerpt From the Truescrolls

Lodge of Land

Spruit:

The Creature Who Wanders Around Whitestone - Poem

Mother Nature - Poem

Alderan:

The War of the Valley

CrusadingKnight:

A Look at the Gods and the Overdiety

Furzwei:

Word of the King - Poem

Kalhan:

For love and honor......ode of the warrior maiden - Poem

Monkeyki:

Kalenthro the Troll Slayer

Thank you participants for your entries thus far. Please remember that you can have up to 3 entries for storylines and poems/songs each.

Edited by Quinticus

<edit>

I'm just too busy with university stuff, haven't had time to write up my other ideas.

I have 3 for each category anyway, so that'll do for me.

Oh, and depending on number of entries vs number of prizes, I'll offer some more stuff

</edit>

Poems/Songs:

A Rabbit's life

The Buzzin Bumble Bee

Reflections at the meditation pool

Stories:

Reporting in

PineAppleBob, the Grue hunter

Enchanted Jewellery

A Third Hand Account Of Life Essence Note: This one is one I'd have left out anyway, and Master Historian Saii's Notes mean that it's not in line with official writings any more. So this one is excluded. (I may update it, but it's not for the contest)

Edited by ttlanhil

Errr....

Can I enter with my rhyming kind of really short story?

It's called Hisotry of Channel 4

Uh, I guess the Letter from Epimetheus / A look at the overdeity [ .. ] will serve as an entry from me, just to add even more variety to the material. (That is, if it's long enough now :ph34r: )

Sorry, but why do you require 15 lines for a poem? Sounds quite a bit restrictive to me. A sonnet has 14 lines, and is a widely used and one of the most reputable poem forms ... I am convinced that a reasonable portion of the world's best poems is shorter than 15 lines. The majority of my own poems is shorter than 15 lines (about 60%), but that may be because I'm a follower of expressionistic terseness :D Anyway, I'm just curious, unfortunately I can write poems in German only.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about poems and songs, to tell the truth. I only write short stories myself. I can kick it back to a 14 line requirement, though its a little late for it. :D