Eternal Lands Official Forums
valo13

hunting of cats to be legalized

should the hunting of cats be legalized?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. should the hunting of cats be legalized?

• yes kill the felines
    • Heck no cats shouldnt be killed
    • all hunting should be ended

It is very different in a rural setting. You know your own cats by sight. Anything else is a feral.

If the strange cat is friendly and asking for food, chances are, it is someone's pet. If it is running for the fence with a chick in its mouth, you can bet it is feral enough to bury.

It isn't as though the cats are shooting back. It is very easy to identify a collar, a special breed, or a friendly cat. It is just as noticeable if the cat is wild and unused to people.

It is very different in a rural setting.  You know your own cats by sight.  Anything else is a feral. 

If the strange cat is friendly and asking for food, chances are, it is someone's pet.  If it is running for the fence with a chick in its mouth, you can bet it is feral enough to bury.

It isn't as though the cats are shooting back.  It is very easy to identify a collar, a special breed, or a friendly cat.  It is just as noticeable if the cat is wild and unused to people.

182166[/snapback]

Uh, I live in a rural community - on a farm, in fact. The mentioned wild cats are what keep the rat population down, what keeps the coyotes away (they like rats). [Wild cats won't eat chicks unless humans keep them from other food sources (roosters do too much damage to merit the risk).] Unfortunately, some idiot poisoned them all. Now, the cats are all gone (minus three kittens), the rat population has exploded, coyotes come in after the rats, and see chickens - many of them are lost now. What true benefits come from killing "feral" cats. :confused:

I want to say, why kill small animals?? feral cat can be a problem, but cant you people find a humain way? one without guts flying? i say capture them and eather fix'em up, or put them to sleep. Animals have rights too! (except rats)

{TYPO}

Edited by Gecko_Master

Uh, I live in a rural community - on a farm, in fact. The mentioned wild cats are what keep the rat population down, what keeps the coyotes away (they like rats). [Wild cats won't eat chicks unless humans keep them from other food sources (roosters do too much damage to merit the risk).] Unfortunately, some idiot poisoned them all. Now, the cats are all gone (minus three kittens), the rat population has exploded, coyotes come in after the rats, and see chickens - many of them are lost now. What true benefits come from killing "feral" cats.  :angry:

182202[/snapback]

Yep. And I bet you knew all of your cats. They weren't a problem, were they?

Dent: Do you have any clue where I live? rural area not far from a city. Started life in a city, and lived there a few years. I have known the value of cats, and the habits of them. Sure, you know your own cats, but how about the neighbor's cats? And, say your neighbor knows your cats, but doesn't like you? This law would legalize them shooting an animal vindictively just to spite you, and calling it "feral".

Not all cats attract to all people. Most tame cats only like one person, or a select few. Only a few I've ever seen attract to anyone without reservation.

Well, the really easy answer to that is keep your cats collared, healthy and under control. If someone shoots them, then you have a legal case as they are obviously not ferals. Or is that too hard?

Am I missing something here, or do you really expect someone else to take responsability for things you are claiming ownership of? Your cats - take care of them. Feral cat - do what you want, but recognise that most farmers I know shoot them as pests.

Well, the really easy answer to that is keep your cats collared, healthy and under control.  If someone shoots them, then you have a legal case as they are obviously not ferals.  Or is that too hard?

Am I missing something here, or do you really expect someone else to take responsability for things you are claiming ownership of?  Your cats - take care of them.  Feral cat - do what you want, but recognise that most farmers I know shoot them as pests.

182414[/snapback]

Ok, so you have a lawsuit. But, lets think here, that would mean the person that shot the cat - you - would be paying quite a bit of money. Plus, it costs quite a bit to bring in the lawyers and jury and such. And do you really want to bother the legal system with something that shouldnt have been put into effect anyways? I mean, look at all the murders. Which would seem to be more important; blaming someone for shooting a cat, or putting a murderer behind bars? I'd say the murderer. Although, the shooter in question then becomes a murderer. So, really, legalizing this monstrosity would do a LOT more damage than it could ever possibly fix.

Some people feel they can let their cats out for a while, and it's a cat's natural instinct to hunt. My cat used to bring dead animals to the door as a gift to his owners all the time. They think they're doing something good. They think they're helping to feed us. They dont know any better. You cant take something away from a cat that is in its blood. That's like saying it's okay to shoot any human that you see gathering wild strawberries or mulberries. I used to gather mulberries from the forest behind my house and I would make smoothies with them. Are you trying to say that you would shoot me for gathering what nobody else wanted or used? These cats are helping to take away other unwanted pests. Listen to Arnieman on this... he has a point. The cats keep the coyotes away. If you want to set loose a bunch of coyotes on your family and neighbours, just continue supporting this law. Kill the cats, bring in the rats, watch blood spill as the coyotes tear things apart. And by the way, I think coyotes do a BIT more damage, and to a bunch of different things at once.

That didn't really address the question. Rats, coyotes, skunks and loads of other animals are also only following their instincts. What makes feral cats any better?

And pardon me if I don't equate the life of a cat up there with that of a human. Nor do I beleive that animals have the same ability to take responsability for their actions. If you own a pet, take care of it.

Dont forget that if the shooting is judged illegal, charges ranging from illegal discharge of a firearm all the way up to reckless endangerment could be levied. This translates into jail time. I am not advocating unsafe or irresponsable acts with firearms. I am just stating that this law codifies a scenario that is already in effect. This isn't anything new. This is just the courts catching up with a situation that has been around and working for a LONG time.

To interject a bit of humour: Fair Play

Cat Shoots Owner

Thursday, March 10, 2005

(03-10) 16:31 PST BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) --

A man cooking in his kitchen was shot after one of his cats knocked his 9mm handgun onto the floor, discharging the weapon, Michigan State Police said.

Ailenya: I think the coyotes was CK's, not mine... thought to put something in, but no real experience of it myself.

Dent: Say I have a cat collared and controlled. Does anything stop the neighbor from shooting the cat, ripping the collar off and destroying it, and then saying the cat was causing problems. Really, does this law protect the owner or the pet in any way then? Not in the slightest. Besides, I know people who, if someone harmed their pets, wouldn't involve the law till the pet-killer was dead.

May be just my imagination, but seems that, when something (or someone) represents a problem then the only solution is too exterminate it... Think about it.

EDIT: Just to clear it up: I like the cats no more than I like the rats, still, the rats are necessary for the world, as the cats are also. As also the worms are needed, and the ants, even the flyes. But, if you feel like that: kill'em all....

2nd edit: the only difference between us and animals is that (at least theorically) we can choose a different solution that to kill. But that is only a theory. <_<

Edited by m_bee

Bah. I hate people who only see one side of things. I can see why some people think shooting cats may be a good idea, but even with their explanation, i still think it is horrible and should NEVER be made legal. Things should just be left as is, no legal- or illegalization should be put into effect. Each case has its own points, so each case should be able to be judged independently. If a cat is shot, the shooter, in question, should be tried within a community jury, just in a small get together in the police station. A vote shall be taken on whether there was good cause to shoot or not. If it was someone else's cat, the shooter should have to either pay the medical bills for the cat if it can be saved, they should have to buy the owner a new cat of equal or greater value, or they should have to spend one year volunteering at the local pet refuge or humane society. If any of the cats die on the shooter's time, unless it can be proven to have been of natural cause, the shooter should be placed in prison for the remainder of their sentence, plus half a year. I think this would make people think twice before shooting.

shooting animals is not right no matter wich animalEVEN cats(I hate cats)i can also see there side too.cats do cause problems and they are sometimes overwhelming.

but what ever happened to the pound and humane society taking care of this?(im a canadian so i dont know about lessover places)in canada thia wouod never be allowed anyway.as a human we are npt given the right to hunt for fun.we got our needs.hunting ayway is becoming more outlawed nowadays(new law banning fox chases in britain)which country came up with this idea anyway(based on logic most likely the americans)what gives us the right to kill helpless animals?what did they ever do to you?im no cat lover but animal cruelty is not one of the things i think is good.and dont these places have humane societies and orginizations and other good causes?(canada does)this brings me to the gun issue which i will not go into exept we should not have 6 locks on the door and an m16 in the basement.what kind of person does animal cruelty?here in canada a person can get aressted for any kind of aniaml cruelty.what kind of law allows such evil acts?who here can let that rest on their conceince?

a canadian cat hater and dog lover

Just a note, hunting for sport has LONG been a hobby of Western society, though it has been more recent (since coming to America I believe) that it's become a commoner's practice (though not as much a sport as mere survival until even more recent), and not just a sport of nobles.

That said, animal cruelty is outlawed in almost every "civilized" society, and still happens. More laws do not need to exist, only the enforcement of those that do.

Killing cats is still better then killing other people. Besides those are animals and ANIMALS DON'T HAVE A SOUL! so it should be ok (read The Bible)

For the record: I own a cat. I like it, but I don't like other cats that come here to mark our house.

please dont bring religoin in this and the mumbo jumbo of no souls in animal thing thats animal cruelty also none as killing for fun.i may not be a cat lover but i dont like people who give animals pain too much if its for fun and no practical reason.

Killing cats is still better then killing other people. Besides those are animals and ANIMALS DON'T HAVE A SOUL! so it should be ok (read The Bible)

For the record: I own a cat. I like it, but I don't like other cats that come here to mark our house.

188117[/snapback]

Since you want to bring religion into this... where does it say animals have no souls? (BTW, having read the Bible myself (except about half the Psalms, I've read the whole thing), I don't recall such anywhere.

What I do recall:

Genesis 1:26-end of chapter - man made, and given charge of all the animals and plants. Basically, man's job was caretaker of the Earth.

Matthew 10:28-31; Luke 12:4-7 - while used to show that people matter to God, the implication seems to be made that even sparrows (and, from there, animals) have worth in God's eyes.

Another thought, if a being has no soul, why would a deity of any kind value it?

EDIT: It may be best for us to leave this religion thing here. Religion is a heated topic, and tends to start wars. If you are looking for honest discussion, bring some support other than unsupported blanket statements.

Edited by Arnieman

What I do recall:

Genesis 1:26-end of chapter - man made, and given charge of all the animals and plants.  Basically, man's job was caretaker of the Earth.

Which we all have failed horribly.

188117[/snapback]

Well, I just cant stand this:

First: some people dont believe in such thing as "soul".

Second: there are more sacred books other than "the holy bible", this demonstrates only a closed mind.

Third: I dont think that this has anything to do with soul or religion, even if you are a believer (im not).

And about first and second, I respect people's beliefs. But people has to respect also other beliefs. And I dont remember the bible saying that: I can remember some ministers of the church in the earth saying that, but I dont remember the bible saying that. Anyway there are other sacred books as I said, and so much of them (you would be surprised) says that animals and even vegetals have a soul. :P

Edited by m_bee

Mad_raven just say Nii!!!!

Well its time to eat the brains of that smelly cat over the street....

Owner of the cat(old lady got amnesia) you bastard..i will kill you with my stick!!!Honeysweet,want a cookie?I baked them..maybe with cat hair in it....(remember the cat...)I KILLYOUUUU!!!!!!

Cats are house animals and i should hate it when people kill cats

O i saw a video on the news when a young guy is murdering a cat with a knife..thats terrible!!!

Yes kill Ants they dont have brains..

I read this too.. I couldn't believe it! I found a poll that actually decides to legalize it or not... I love cats! This is cruel. Luckily, the poll stood at 70% no 30% yes.

Why hunt cats?! Hard to find wild cats, and, you can't use them for anything.. just mean, man, mean.

(Why did you reply to this age-old post?)

Note: Someone else had replied, otherwise I wouldn't have. That post was deleted I guess.

Edited by MindFreak

188117[/snapback]

My religion says it's okay to kill you.

I like this law , firstly for i hate all cats, hell make it so any cat without a collar can be shot and make another law saying that we cant have cats with collars then we can shoot them all .... heheh i'm so evil ^_^

*hids cats* This place fu**ing disturbs me sometimes. You dont like the cats then leave them alone :) I dont talk about killing dogs, even though I hate the damned things.

*hids cats* This place fu**ing disturbs me sometimes. You dont like the cats then leave them alone  :) I dont talk about killing dogs, even though I hate the damned things.

205384[/snapback]

Agreed... who likes a smelly ugly thing who walks under your legs 50 times in a minute as you're watching t.v or on the computer... You also have to pick up their crap... with cats you can just dump the litter box. Yes, it's better to hand pick it and save the litter, but.. it stinks.