Eternal Lands Official Forums
valo13

hunting of cats to be legalized

should the hunting of cats be legalized?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. should the hunting of cats be legalized?

• yes kill the felines
    • Heck no cats shouldnt be killed
    • all hunting should be ended

153676[/snapback]

Woah.7 months,30 pounds?That's over 10 kg easily!I had a friend who had his cat spayed and she weighed 10 kg at 2 years old.Now you're lying a bit, aren't u?

153683[/snapback]

You've never seen a large cat, have you? :P They're not all scrawny little house pets. ;)

Really... according to this, we should also be allowed to hunt teenagers? It falls under the same generalization which people often make  :P .

Then again, around here (rural), I've seen them around ~30 pounds @ 7 months old... only danger they pose is knocking over calves in displays of over-affection  ;) (BTW, that one is true)

153676[/snapback]

hunting teenagers 0.o

**walks away silently...

LMFAO

yes kill the felines [14][35.90%]

Heck no cats shouldnt be killed [17] [43.59%]

all hunting should be ended [8][20.51%]

Kill them!!

Their annoying anyway. Though it should have like an age thing, like if their not adult you can't kill them.

Really... according to this, we should also be allowed to hunt teenagers? It falls under the same generalization which people often make  :) .

Then again, around here (rural), I've seen them around ~30 pounds @ 7 months old... only danger they pose is knocking over calves in displays of over-affection  :P (BTW, that one is true)

try to hunt me. *equips dual wrist blades and straps two shotguns to them*

heh anyway, I'll kill anything if its legal, wait till hunting people is legal. :D:D

They should be killed :) They are rude little animals.. They SHITZ in my garden all the time :P so i take my two dogs out on the street and chase the little shits, don't worry the cats climb up lamp posts for crying out loud so they don't get hurt only scared.. :D Not to mention my Granny owns two and it's them that do it <_< So if they wern't hers...god only knows what i would let me dogs do to them.

Regards.

Edited by MoJo

My neighbors could shoot my kitties, remove their collars, and it would be legal...

>^^< I love my kitties.

So no.

Edit: Started rambling.

Edited by Kala

It dosent look to fake...eh but ive never owned a cat..just dogs, rabbits, fist, horse, and i think i once owned a snake..oh and some parakeets..

And I dont live there so i dont care!

I tried to stroke a stray cat on my street once, it scratched the hell out of me and I needed about a dozen injections of various things.

But I also had a kitty called Dibble and she was great...

So I don't know what to think...

Lol...i once threw a cat down a hill for scratching my face...didnt mean to it was a reflex...:P

What do I think?

If you kill a creature without any reason other than the joy of killing or you own proud, then it is a murder. No other thought can fit in my mind.

If you need to eat it, kill it. I would do for sure, and it would do the same if it could. But killing for no reason is just evil. I think the same about many other attrocities, like bullfighting, dog-, etc.... Pure sh*t.

What do I think?

If you kill a creature without any reason other than the joy of killing or you own proud, then it is a murder. No other thought can fit in my mind.

If you need to eat it, kill it. I would do for sure, and it would do the same if it could. But killing for no reason is just evil. I think the same about many other attrocities, like bullfighting, dog-, etc.... Pure sh*t.

172593[/snapback]

The reasons are that they carry disease and vermin and they destroy things like livestock.

Their feces are very toxic to both animals and humans.

They also breed very quickly, with large litters and are prone to inbreeding.

This makes them no better than rats to farmers, and many will shoot stray cats on sight.

People are not discussing trumpets, horses and hounds chasing down persians or siamese. They are talking about controlling the wild cat population in rural settings.

Oh, and eating the meat from these vermin would be worse for your health than eating rat meat; and rats are also hunted without remorse, without pity.

You may not like the idea of hunting, but the food that you do eat comes from places where these cats are a potential problem. Let the folks who feed YOU do their job properly, without your moral interference.

For the record, I am not a farmer, I am a cat owner and lover. Any cat that I have owned would be in danger from their wild cousins. I would fully justify killing them as protecting my family.

The reasons are that they carry disease and vermin and they destroy things like livestock. Their feces are very toxic to both animals and humans. They also breed very quickly, with large litters and are prone to inbreeding. This makes them no better than rats to farmers, and many will shoot stray cats on sight.

People are not discussing trumpets, horses and hounds chasing down persians or siamese.  They are talking about controlling the wild cat population in rural settings.

I know that. Well, maybe there are reasons to control the population. But that is not what is stated in that link. What is stated in that link is that anyone can kill averything that moves w/o a collar. If cats population needs to be regulated, then, there should be and institution for that, and not a popular massacre.

You may not like the idea of hunting, but the food that you do eat comes from places where these cats are a potential problem.  Let the folks who feed YOU do their job properly, without your moral interference.

I think that I cleared that in my prev post. So Im not going to say again:

If you need to eat it, kill it. I would do for sure, and it would do the same if it could.

172593[/snapback]

So, please, don't threat me as if I were a brainless ecologist (<--misspelled that for sure). I also own cats, but will have no remorse in kill one if it attacks any of my beloved beings. The thing is not as easy, and it has been demonstrated many times that when people takes justice on their own hands something bad happens.

The things are not as easy, in that or that other direction. There are many varialbles that has to be meassured, before taking a base bat and going to the street, or, better, in the american way: start shoting everything that moves. :P

You still dont get it.

There is nothing of justice in this. The wild cats are not breaking laws or purposefully harming things. They make no desicions here. They are acting as nature directs. Killing them is on the same level as killing rats, rabbits, snakes, dingoes, birds, bees, bats, mice or any of a vast number of small annoying farmyard pests.

Also, think about the topic for even a short time, instead of emoting over it (or heaven forbid: do some research on your own). Logistics dictate that this will be a passive permission to hunt. Kill the buggers that are causing problems for you. Much like any of the other legislation on pest control.

I will agree that the article is very poorly researched and written, but the question posed here was whether or not the hunting of cats should be legalised, not if we agree with the hack who tried to pass his ramblings off as news.

Think about the issue. Think about the factors involved. And try to forget for a moment all that you suppose American culture is. From the sound of it, you have fallen victim to propaganda and media spin. In the several dozen times I have travelled through the US, I have never seen any indescriminant firing of weapons. I have never been shot at. I have never been mugged, robbed beat up or harassed. The coffee there sucks though.

In the 10 years I spent in Europe, however, I experienced all of the above but managed to drink very good coffee. Your statement 'the american way: start shoting everything that moves' and the attitude that it implies shows ignorance, intolerance, and lazyness. This is a bit of a contradiction towards the issue of this thread, as the hunting of cats has been thought out, researched and codified.

I hope that this helps.

the only problem I had, is the way this is presented, were any of us cat people to live in the affected area, and our cats got loose, then our family members are in danger. While I would admit that the American way of "shoot first, shoot often" is more or less a joke, we do have people that practice that freely. The law provides no indemnity for the family pet that accidentally or maliciously becomes victim to this new law.

It wouldn't take much to shoot a pet, rip off the collar, and claim it was stray. That's saying though that they'd take that time to take off the collar.

personally, i would never kill a cat, (or anything for that matter) unless it was a life-or-death situation. one of those would be if you were starving and had no other choice, or the thing is a bout to kill you and are not able to run/ disabel it. And even if the thing was stray and may or may not have diseases, you call the vet to come pick tthe thing up, give it the proper shots, then put it up for adoption, not kill it.

and for the matter of it being a pest on farmland/rural areas/ etc , again, you call whoevery the authority is to take care of that kind of thing, or just make some way of keeping them out.

Edited by roren

:) I have a problem with this. When I was about 5 years old, I found a wild cat. It roamed around the neighbourhood and did cause a bit of trouble, but I loved it. People around the whole neighbourhood bought cat food for it, and every day people would set out a dish of food and water for it. Eventually, after I had picked it up and brought it inside enough times, my parents let me keep it. That cat was my first pet and I loved it to death. NO cats, ferile or not, should be shot. Every cat can be tamed. The one I had, unfortunately, had to be put to sleep after eight years because of a disease. But, I have adopted from the animal shelters and rescues ever since. Every time I see a cat, I always go up to it and pet it, usually pick it up as well. There has never been a cat that didnt like me, even the ferile cats that stay in my aunts barn let me pet them. Nobody else could go near them before I got there, but now they even let my little cousins pet them. Like I said, there is no cat that cannot be tamed, and if shooting cats becomes legal, then it should be legal to shoot anyone that you see shooting a cat.

btw, my nickname is kitti in rL - anyone shoots me and they DIE

:):(:mean::angry:

EDIT: oh, and Dent, there are better things to do with the cats. if u see one, catch it, take it to either the humane society, pet rescue, or pets connect. theres one in every area, and a lot of them have grants from the government that pay for loose animals to be spayed/neutered and cleaned up to be adopted. <<IMO, thats a MUCH better solution than taking them out with a shotgun.

Edited by Ailenya

heh.

It is definately a lot nicer and more humane. Unfortunately, a lot of the farming types look at the difficulty involved in trapping an intelligent wild animal (in a humane fashion), transporting the animal to the shelters, and repeating it hundreds of times per year as a poor investment when compared to the cost of a .22 rimfire (not a shotgun).

Even if someone was inclined to make that effort, several hundred new cats per year would be a bit more than most shelters can support. I know that huge numbers of animals are put down every year because shelters cannot find homes for them. The farmers are just cutting out the middlemen here.

It is sad, but what this legislation does is just legally recognise what is already going on. :P

killing the cats is better then possibilty of getting rabies from sick cat biting you from my apinnion :) (i mean killing the cats that don have the owner or smth)

the biggest problem I have is that there's no clear way to make sure this is just feral cats being shot, and not the beloved family pet.