Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Morsputativa

Building your own campfire!

I think it would be nice if you could build your own campfire. First real fire in the campfire should be implemented of course. But why not go a step further and let people make their own fires in the woods. Maybe it could guard you against the gargoyles in WSC, when you're alone in the forest at night. And of course it's great sitting down around a fire with your friends.

To prevent fire spamming, there should be something like a one-fire-per-player limit.

yah and u can put the fire on with fire essence and a candle :|

yah and u can put the fire on with fire essence and a candle :|

Fire essence + Candle = 2-minute fire that travels along with you

Fire essence + Logs = 10-minute stationary fire

I think that if you would change the color of the teleport and sink it in the ground a bit under some logs, you might have a nice thing to start with...

And to carry a fire around, it would be better to use a lantern or a torch than a candle in my opinion. Carrying a light around is a very good idea, since the game is pretty dark at night. Turning up gamma helps, but isn't that realistic...

To make fire shouldn't be too hard so new ppl can also make it. Fire ess + log is a good idea, but that would require a new harvestable item. I don't know if that's hard to implement...

Me and Ent thought of this one a long time ago too... basically you'd be able to light a campfire in predetermined places(where you see the camp fire wood on the maps), and NOT anywhere you want because people WILL abuse that by putting too many all over the place..unless we can somehow limit how many fires are in X amount of space. That might work if ti's possible.

Also, dynamic lights are not currently possible..so torches and laterns are out of the question.

well one could have the code look for a existing campfire within a given range every time someone puts one up. and if its limited to one per person so that if you put up a new one the old one goes out and give them a limited lifetime then i dont see the chance of abuse...

well one could have the code look for a existing campfire within a given range every time someone puts one up. and if its limited to one per person so that if you put up a new one the old one goes out and give them a limited lifetime then i dont see the chance of abuse...

7 people go into an area and they each light a fire. OpenGL can only support 6 light sources at a time (or something like that)

I like this idea (even though by my name you can tell im fond of night) But after im done harvesting and stuff i usually rest my thumbs so having campfires would be nice.

Roja Wrote:

Me and Ent thought of this one a long time ago too... basically you'd be able to light a campfire in predetermined places(where you see the camp fire wood on the maps)

This way you can kind of draw people who are resting together a bit more for conversations and such. (im a very sociable person at times) But i think it be a good idea that as soon as the time is night on the clock the campfire in IP goes on automaticly. (Big resting spot for a lot of poeple) The only problem that i could see is thats the only one people would go to becuase it autolight.

So i would think that it would only start automaticly but youd have to keep building it up for it to stay alive.

7 people go into an area and they each light a fire. OpenGL can only support 6 light sources at a time (or something like that)

no way that can be as i could swear that there is a lot more lightsources then 6 in say the mines. just think about all the glowing crystals and so on. most likley its more a limit of the hardware and its ability to calculate all the light effects and blending in good time.

its just a matter of putting them a nice distance apart so that you dont get say 10-20 on screen at the same time. and this can be limited in code like stated in my post (atleast theoreaticly)...