Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zilding

Invasion portals maps (for mods only)

The idea is one or more new portals maps (Could use the big Idaloran-size map and just have a separate 'section' for each style of invasion). These maps would only be accessible by mods and specifically for invasions. For example, one section could have portals to all the cold maps on C2, another section could have portals that go to all the PK maps, and another could invade all of Idaloran including the underground areas and the beach. It'd be a fun (and it seems to me, pretty easy) way to create a few new invasion styles.

A few plusses:

1. The map would only need to be some level ground with portals on it -- since normal players have no access, there's no need to spend any time or effort making it look good, so I think it wouldn't be too much work to create.

2. It would avoid the craziness in 'player' portals room when doing a portals invasion.

3. C2 portals invasions currently cause low-level players or players who don't want to be fighting right then to be completely restricted from 2/3 of the game, and unless a mod really wants to take a lot of time to run it, there's not really any 'middle ground' between a single map invasion and a full continent invasion.

4. There's no reason portals would have to be limited to above-ground area -- a 'portals invasion' could include some of the larger (or smaller, even, I guess) underground/inside areas.

5. You could have several portals to different areas of the larger maps, causing the critters to spread out a lot quicker.

Thoughts?

Z

(Mapmaker comments)

- As this would be something only a handful of people would need, it could be done at any time if desired as it wouldn't be part of the client. Those who do invasions would just need the latest elm file, and even then only if they want to go there themselves to watch or whatever.

- Could be tweaked and changed as desired with any server update as to where the spawns drop.

- Easily put together, I could do it once the current map testing is done for the new client.

I like this idea and would use it for running invasions. Could be used for low level hidden invasions in c1 as well. Flexible enough since it doesn't require a client update.