Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

Questioning the Gods

Okay, I just trekked through half the continent to record down what the priests said about each of their gods. Here are the descriptions:

Aluwen: (Noria)

Fitting would it be that the originator of all life be a female, a mother. Aluwen was fair and just in her dealings but was easily taken advantage of with her kind heart, open mindedness and belief in equality for all of the inhabitants of the world. Aluwen followers usually get more defence experience, based on their rank. Aluwen’s enemies are Mortos, the god of death, and Selain, the god of summoning. Her alignment is Lawful Good.

Mortos: (Dirhyan)

Mortos is iniquity in its purest form, he lusts for war, destruction and death. He contrived a plot to try and take over the newly created world by Aluwen by robbing her of her pure mind and body. This act broke the seal of protection on all life and brought about the first deaths and eventually the great war which he lead by force. Aluwen bore a bastard son, Glydoc. Mortos’ enemies are Aluwen, the goddess of life, and Elandria, the goddess of Alchemy. His alignment is Chaotic Evil.

Glydoc: (Durnam)

The atrocities of his father and benevolence of his mother set this god apart from the others, torn between the lust of battle and the balance which he maintained. He cherished victory, valor, bravery and blood. His ways are mysterious to the untrained eye but the followers of his ways always felt his strength when they had summoned his name on the battlefield for assistance. Glydoc’s followers usually get more crafting experience, depending on their rank. Glydoc’s enemies are Elandria, the god of alchemy, and Unolas, the god of magic. His alignment is Lawful Neutral.

Glilin: (Baostas)

Indomitably was the merry spirit of Glilin, father of creativity. Blessed are his followers with the gift of better craftsmanship. Often called the “Dwarfish Lord†by his followers and outsiders, Glilin is often thought to be the soul of a Dwarfish craftsman touched by Aluwen, allowing him his life spared and evolved into a godlike status. Once being a mortal Glilin is looked down upon by other gods for his “impurity†but to this day never loses his cheerful smile or the blessed anvil on which he works his wonders. His alignment is Lawful Neutral, and his followers usually get more manufacture experience.

Unolas: (Adrian)

Another once mortal, Unolas was granted immortality and godly status for his gnosis of the very spirit of the earth. He was the first to discover the essences and is the namesake of all Elf kind. Born out of his research and hard work were the essences, available for all to use, but in his discovery lay the foundation for the great war; the struggle to control the very power of the planet, all life…

Unolas alignment is Chaotic Neutral, and his followers get more magic exp.

Selain: (Sylpho)

The third “once mortals†was Selain, the summoner. His mind was dangerous and knowledge exploited by good and evil alike. Neutral he remains in all ways, assisting both cutthroat and priest he knew no ally other than coin. Also known as the god of wealth he built an empire based on the wealth gained by his enhancements, the dark lord Mortos honouring his greed and destruction brought about by his hand gave him life beyond life, immortality. Selain’s followers usually gain more summoning experience, depending on their rank. Selain’s enemies are Aluwen, the god of life, and Glilin, the god of manufacture. His alignment is Neutral Evil.

Elandria: (not yet ready)

Elandria’s enemies are Glydoc and Mortos.

-You'd notice that the alignments of some of the gods aren't mentioned. Do we even WANT those alignments in at all?

- There are obvious discrepancies between Saii's history of the lands and the descriptions given here....particularly of Glydoc's, Aluwen's, (and to some extent) Glilin's and Selain's natures. What are we planning to do about those?

- Glydoc initially was the god of combat, not crafting. As such, his description is based on combat. Now, that has to change.

- Roja, are we permitted to rewrite the gods' descriptions to fit in with the storyline?

Comments and suggestions appreciated. :)

-Lyn-

Glydoc shouldn't be too difficult to completely rewrite, though we still need to work out how he fits in as an adopter of the Dreagoni (it could be that at the time of Iringold's disappearance he adopted them as it was felt the races weren't capable of looking after themselves, but we can't really sort that out until his personality has been done for definite).

I kind of steered away from the Aluwen/Mortos/Glydoc thing to start with, but it shouldn't be too hard to fit in as long as it's done before the creation of the races. It could be an explanation for why he has been trying to destroy the place for so long, because the spirit of EL was hers, not his. I might write a more in-depth version of this later if I have time.

Selain I don't think needs tweaking too much, it could be said that the guy had wreaked some small havoc before Mortos talent spotted him but I think that's all it would need.

Glilin again needs little in the way of tweaking, except perhaps to make him a bit more jolly in future (perhaps being turned into a god wouold have done that for him?)

Is it just me, or are we only dealing in greater deities-Where are the demi-gods/immortals...?

And glydoc-His divine attributes will go to whom?

Pay me no mind, I guess...just I prefer a more rounded out pantheon. :?

You've got a good point, CK. But I wonder, how would you explain the existence of demigods? Immortality (or least, extreme longevity) is being taken care of through magical means, in most of the stories that deal with it. (Case in point: The Necromancer in "The Curse of Naralik Catacombs") Basically, how do you draw the line between god, demigod, and immortal? Glilin, Unolas and Selain were all elevated into godhood straightaway from their mortal existence, so it would seem that demigodhood would be a little hard to describe.

Nevertheless, having lesser gods and minor deities might work. What sort of qualities would they espouse, though, that the greater gods do not already have?

-Lyn-

Patron/example of a specific domain I guess...not so much a skill as a living..? And to serve the gods (Hard to think of the elevated gods actually serving someone, since they all have specific alignments).

Maybe you can expand on this? :?

(In my experience with mythology, demi-gods are the tricksters, and are just there to round things out- ex. Loki, who doesn't really seem to have a reason for being, except to round things out.)

Hmm I did a story of a character named Qast a while back, he'd definitely count as a demigod but I think a rewrite was requested first, I'll have a look about that.