Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
itzman

Debian Lenny gnome sound issues..workaround

I got the dreaded 'unable to open /dev/[dsp/]' message and no sound.

The reason being that EL uses deprecated sound access..

The default Debian system is alsa, and there is a library and a wrapper to trap calls to oss sound and 'alsa-ify' them

So you need to install the alsa-oss package. And start the program with e.g.

/usr/bin/aoss /path-to-el/el.x86_64.linux.bin

Sound works perfectly under this regime.

I run debian lenny and sound works just fine, but only after I compiled from source on my system. Prior to that, I got an error indicating that the function to enumerate sound devices did not exist. Now I can see in my error log the correct enumeration of sound devices including "ALSA Software on default" which I currently use.

You'll see the enumerated sound devices listed in ~/.elc/error_log.txt:

[19:26:18] Sound devices detected: ALSA Software on default,ALSA Software on SB Live! 5.1 [sB0060],OSS Software,Wave File Writer

To use them, enter the exact text in the options dialog on the Audio tab in the sound device text field. If it is blank, it will default to /dev/dsp I believe.

Edited by chr0nik

I run debian lenny and sound works just fine, but only after I compiled from source on my system.  Prior to that, I got an error indicating that the function to enumerate sound devices did not exist.  Now I can see in my error log the correct enumeration of sound devices including "ALSA Software on default" which I currently use.

You'll see the enumerated sound devices listed in ~/.elc/error_log.txt:

[19:26:18] Sound devices detected: ALSA Software on default,ALSA Software on SB Live! 5.1 [sB0060],OSS Software,Wave File Writer

To use them, enter the exact text in the options dialog on the Audio tab in the sound device text field.  If it is blank, it will default to /dev/dsp I believe.

Oi must be being thick tonight Chr0nik, because I don't understand that..

first of all, all I get in the log file is this

error_log.txt:[10:38:33] Warning: ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT not found. Retrieving list of sound devices may fail.

error_log.txt:[10:38:33] Sound devices detected:

error_log.txt:[10:38:33] Soundcard device attempted: /

error_log.txt:[10:38:33] Soundcard device specified (/) failed. Using default device:

So I am at a loss to work out what in fact to put in the sound device ...box in the configuration.

IIRC 'default' works for other software, so I will try that.

Compiling from source is not a big deal, if that would help..

That's exactly what I meant.  I had the same error about ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT not being present when I ran the official linux client from the EL download page. I researched and found that it is in fact supported in lenny's version of openal (tho I forget the exact version # atm.) Downloading the source from cvs & compiling against the libraries on my system got me past that error message and gave me the list of enumerated sound devices I posted previously. I kept dubious notes of what libraries I needed to install to get the compile to work so feel free to forum PM me or contact me in game if you have any trouble. :)

You could also try using bluap's packages for Lenny

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EternalLands#Debian%20%28Lenny%29%20packages

All these packages are also available for Debian (currently only i386 on Lenny). To install the Debian version add the software sources line "deb http://www.twinmoons.org.uk/pkg/debian/ ./".

Edited by Korrode

Guest itzman

You could also try using bluap's packages for Lenny

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EternalLands#Debian%20%28Lenny%29%20packages

All these packages are also available for Debian (currently only i386 on Lenny). To install the Debian version add the software sources line "deb http://www.twinmoons.org.uk/pkg/debian/ ./".

Well source doesn't work. Errors everywhere and no real instructions how to make it.

My screen is gone haywire somehow as well. Corruption everywhere.

I think I may give up

As Korrode said, you don't have to compile from source itzman, you can add bluap's repository to your apt sources and download & install EL the debian way.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this