Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
asgnny

Team PK "instance"

[asgnny @ 6]: ok, fair enough then. next idea I just had now: what about something like an instance, but done for a PK map, with a wager?

[asgnny @ 6]: e.g. team of 5-7 people, each paying 5k gc to join. they face another team of 5-7 people, winner takes gc from both teams

The overall setup could be like that of an instance, perhaps split by maximum a/d ranges (max only, to allow for e.g. lower a/d summoners).

Each member of a team could visit one of the NPC's to sign up as a team, and would then become "active" for some period of time (an hour?). Once another team signs up, all members from each team would be brought to a storage NPC to suit up (max 10 mins, or when ready?), then brought into a special PK area to fight. Results of these fights (e.g. PlayerX killed PlayerY) could be broadcast to channel 6.

Would people actually use something like this? If so, what would prevent players from losing interest? Should it be no-drop, and if so, for all levels?

An idea like this would take substantial player support to be implemented, so a few players saying "yeah, I'd try it once" would not work.

Well this sounds pretty cool,

I think being able to configure the 'rules' for the fight is essential. Also configuring the max number of participants would be nice to allow for huge events.

For example;

-no summoning stones,

-no special armors,

-no special swords,

-no-drops,

-drops,

-a/d over xx,

-a/d under xx,

Anyway, just the 'basic' implementation where a team of a set number of players with set 'rules' can fight each other over some prize money is really great. I play over on the pk server and I think that this system would be used over there as well, even tho there are much less players.

I think the concept is great.

Configurable rules, as Prohibited suggests, would be awesome... but if that's 'all-to-hard', then if there's going to be a static ruleset, it'd need to be one that provides balance and a low resource cost... if it doesn't provide that, it wont be used long term.

I am willing to go into detail on how i think a system could be setup to work well and be long-term enjoyable, but i'm not going to bother typing it all unless Radu posts saying he's interested in the idea.

would be gr8,and what about ; u will pay 5kgc for enter yes, but

will be on ex fighting Player-X vs Player-Y and if will win player-X will automatically

get player-Ys gc and after he get killed,on ex by player-Z,player Z ,get that 10kgc... :-D etc

Realy good idea :)

+ would be good if it could be more than just 2min pk, what about rounds? :)

3rounds, the team who win 2 fights won? :P

Edited by Lucky_Paladin

I remember this idea meeting resistance before (been suggested before)

• too much like runescape (aka Clan Wars, Duel Arena)
  • and the boss saying (paraphrase) "I'm done implementing PK related shit, if you want to fight
    start a fight club" etc etc.

I suggested the duel arena with the item wager, its terrible a shitty game

has it, and EL does not, but perhaps now it could be implemented?

So I agree with this suggestion, maybe since Asgnny suggested it, it may

have a greater degree of validity. PK games, such as defend the castle (clan wars-ish), or duel

arenas with wagers (2+ people) would really make it another game within a game, and

keep the game active.

The best PK RPG ever, which is now (temp?) closed by the commercial company that started it, was Shadowbane.

It had unlimited pk, where you could kill anyone anywhere (massive world), but the main reason people played (not to gank

trainers) but to fight in large sieges, destructible castles, items to capture, and so on. There were plenty of

just plain Group Vs Group, but almost always around a resource (mines had to be captured to get resources from it).

As far as ProHibited, suggesting to remove certain items:

In that other runcrap, the game was made so the participants could

use an npc that would include\exclude certain items from the contest, even going

so far to make it (not to the death), teleporting the contestants when someone reached a target HP.

---

Again if implementation has to do with time, there needs to be a way people can submit, ?modules to be

included into the game without server access. The games development would sky rocket (speed wise) if this was

part of the server core. Even in a large company, you would not give all devs direct access to the core of the server, but they could

write minigames, monsters, etc without a need to risk security or the companies most valuable code.

[*] and the boss saying (paraphrase) "I'm done implementing PK related shit, if you want to fight

[21:30:12] [radu @ 6]: I might be willing to implement such an idea

[21:30:22] [radu @ 6]: but with the exclusive condition that you put your money where your mouth is

[21:30:48] [ryddler @ 6]: you mean donate up front like before?

[21:30:54] [radu @ 6]: yes

[21:31:35] [Tradon @ 6]: npc middle man that holds the GC :pickaxe:|\

[21:32:09] [radu @ 6]: no, I'd delegate a player to hold the gc

[21:32:11] [radu @ 6]: like gnny

[21:32:28] [radu @ 6]: but first post it on the forums, see if there is enough demand

I think being able to configure the 'rules' for the fight is essential. Also configuring the max number of participants would be nice to allow for huge events.

For example;

-no summoning stones,

-no special armors,

-no special swords,

-no-drops,

-drops,

-a/d over xx,

-a/d under xx,

Anyway, just the 'basic' implementation where a team of a set number of players with set 'rules' can fight each other over some prize money is really great. I play over on the pk server and I think that this system would be used over there as well, even tho there are much less players.

[21:29:21] [radu @ 6]: I would not put any gear restrictions if I ever do it

[*] and the boss saying (paraphrase) "I'm done implementing PK related shit, if you want to fight

[21:30:12] [radu @ 6]: I might be willing to implement such an idea

[21:30:22] [radu @ 6]: but with the exclusive condition that you put your money where your mouth is

[21:30:48] [ryddler @ 6]: you mean donate up front like before?

[21:30:54] [radu @ 6]: yes

[21:31:35] [Tradon @ 6]: npc middle man that holds the GC :pickaxe:|\

[21:32:09] [radu @ 6]: no, I'd delegate a player to hold the gc

[21:32:11] [radu @ 6]: like gnny

[21:32:28] [radu @ 6]: but first post it on the forums, see if there is enough demand

For example;

-no summoning stones,

-no special armors,

-no special swords,

-no-drops,

-drops,

-a/d over xx,

-a/d under xx,

[21:29:21] [radu @ 6]: I would not put any gear restrictions if I ever do it

Why should he?

If you don't want to fight one with for example summon stones tell it to him before you guys start, if he does use them despite saying he does not post him on outlaws and make it public that he is a scammer so people will avoid him in the future.

There's is no need for any gear restrictions if it does get implemented IMO.

Of course one could make that officially without a possibility to scam with putting ticks in boxes that must be accepted by both before it starts w/e, but that would mean a lot of work for something that might not be used. I think once it's going and radu can make $ of it (breakages and maybe a %fee to the NPC as it is with the lottery already) he might invest some time implementing it if the demand is still existing.

Edited by zeni

IMHO, gear and combat varible restriction options is a must.

And it should be enforced by the game, via an npc both parties

select what options to allow or remove.

It allows duels to answer those question such as

"He is a stone summoning noob, it why he wins"

"Lmao if I had full [uber armor] but I don't"

And so on.

People could do "old school' titanium long and aug duels without

stones or any uber item, and satisfy every request for a 'old school\classic'

server or map.

Plus the NPC should be in charge of controlling the wagered stakes,

and the NPC dispenses the reward.

see runecrap link, for futher comparision.

EDIT: remember this means you can still compete with no restrictions, but by allowing

possible restrictions to be dynamically added, you thwart it becoming disused from the 1K+ reasons people

currently place on PK in el.

Edited by robotbob

IMHO, gear and combat varible restriction options is a must.

Agreed.

Although just with restrictions that keep the fight 'fairly even' (levels/combat level/etc.) it may still be somewhat a used feature, a lack of equipment restriction options would hinder it's long-term participation factor.

I really can't fathom why exactly Radu isn't even willing to consider equipment/item restrictions.

EDIT:

Why should he?

If you don't want to fight one with for example summon stones tell it to him before you guys start, if he does use them despite saying he does not post him on outlaws and make it public that he is a scammer so people will avoid him in the future.

lol

Edited by Korrode

I just had an additional thought, on the pro side of dynamic combat\gear restrictions.

Can anyone recall a hosted PK tournament that DID NOT? have some sort of restriction.

No broD at the very least. This alone to me underscores the needs for dynamic not static restrictions.

I hate to see all that work in implementing going unused, this addition ensures it has long term play value.

(Since it makes all the normal bitching go to zero)

Again :pickaxe: to this suggestion.

Yes - I'm not interested at all... UNLESS there is armor/weapons restrictions. People spend weeks harvesting or buy GC just to be able to competitively compete with others, and since they all have dragon armors/orange spam cakes, you NEED to buy that stuff to even have a real chance at surviving, let alone winning.

Like Korrode said, armor restrictions is what will hinder it's long-term participation factor. Would be nice to have the cutlass considered as an effective weapon in PK, but due to dragon armors and the attribute cap, it is truly useless, unlike the cutlass of the mage.

EDIT:
Why should he?

lol

What's so funny if I may ask?

In large tournaments (open to all perhaps) there will be some 'cheaters' if the rules are not enforced by the game.

I know of some great large scale pk events in the past, where moderators enforced certain rules (do not return after death) but that seems like a lot of work to keep doing. A system like suggested with some configurable limitations enables players to organize these events without moderator support.

If this feature is a great success there should be sufficient income from it too ($).

Entrance tickets for the PK-instance could be bought with rostogol stones (5 for one orso). Entrance fee set by the players.

Text commands are sufficient to change the game options, or a small interface in the future when someone finds the time for it.

what a great suggestion!!!I hope that it will get to the game...

but if there will be no item restrictions,or if it's going to be too expensive.... well,then it would NOT be good

but I'm 100% for it to be implemented anyway

i love the idea. would encourage alot of Pk action.

also would love to see summoning being used more regularly.

i'm hoping this will be No Drop and such.

also love the idea about winner takes gc because we all know them high level summons arent cheap :pickaxe:

The overall setup could be like that of an instance, perhaps split by maximum a/d ranges (max only, to allow for e.g. lower a/d summoners).

have i told u, i love u? :whistle:

If there is only the 5Kgc fee and no item loss at death then restriction are not needed imo, yes maybe you loose few Kgc to a cheater but there is a nice thread for those on the forum. Maybe the fee should be smaller or a choose between 1K, 5K, 10K per team so not to much money can be lost to cheaters and of course a good x% of that gold must go to the host of the games ea. back to the server.

Implementing restrictions is a huge job and it would mean we would not have a Team PK "instance" for a long long time.

I love the idea :devlish:

Cheers,

Whisky

I'd love this idea and use it IF:

1. No special armor/ weps

2. no brod/bod

3. drops are allowed

4. one death and your out (no multiple deaths like the instances. then the person with the most rosto's could win)

5. time limit of like 45 minutes or 1 hour.

Implementing restrictions is a huge job and it would mean we would not have a Team PK "instance" for a long long time.

orly?

Step 1.

Make sure all OP equipment needs Human Nexus 7 (most already does, just the orange spam stuff i think doesn't, and would need an adjustment).

Step 2.

At instance start time, server does check of your inventory and equipped slots and if there's any Human 7 gear there it wont teleport you into the instance.

Done.

Now, i'm not actually a coder, but i am a PC tech and have a good understanding of programmatic side of software operation, and i can't imagine this would be very hard at all to implement.

Items restriction is a pain in the ass to implement, there are too many items.

I think an 'honor' system would work, if someone abuses the player agreed rules, then no one will play with them again, simple as that. I think this will be mainly used by high level players, which aren't many, and no one would want to be permanently 'banned' by the players from this.

Items restriction is a pain in the ass to implement, there are too many items.

I think an 'honor' system would work, if someone abuses the player agreed rules, then no one will play with them again, simple as that. I think this will be mainly used by high level players, which aren't many, and no one would want to be permanently 'banned' by the players from this.

An 'honor' system would only work if you know all of your opponents ahead of time (which I'm not sure is a great idea). If not, the entire 'PK instance' idea could be trashed in no time by a team or two of ebul brod'ers.

Just throwing the idea out there: is there any way to make e.g. a pool of 10 players who want to fight and two captains who choose teammates from the pool (1st pick, next 2, then alternating)?

EDIT:

As Asgnny says below, all that really needs to happen is make orange spam Ti/steel armors and orange spam great swords require Human nexus 8.

@Radu

I know in-game you didn't seem too interested in it, and said restricting by nexus is "unreliable" (which i'd appreciate elaboration on), but i figured i'd post this anyways... if it falls on completely uninterested ears, well meh.

My suggestions for changes to nexus requirements for equipment:

-----

Human Nexus 7 - 'strong' orange spam gear - riches and luck has huge impact

(Strong orange spam gear being equipment that is still reasonably high in power without the orange spam effects)

All the great swords and Ti and Steel plate pieces that have orange spam effects.

-----

Human Nexus 6 - very strong armors, very high power weapons and 'weak' orange spam gear - riches and luck has decent impact

(Weak orange spam gear being equipment that without it's orange spam effects is quite weak)

All Dragon armor

Bronze Sword

Therm Serp

SoM

SoP

BoD

BRoD

Scythe (not a 'weak' weapon but not great, and very low orange spam chance)

DBlade (not a 'weak' weapon but not great, and low orange spam chance)

MoL

MoM (not orange spam, but needs to be here as if it's in hum:5 it's the too obvious choice. Retaining the more balanced choices of moon VS uni VS stars in hum:5 is better)

Rad rapier (this weapon is right on the border of 5 and 6... very hard to place... but considering luck can be a big factor in it's usage, and it's more so effective against drag armors, i'd go with 6)

-----

Human Nexus 5 - non-orange spam strong gear - skill and char has big impact

CoL/CoM

All normal Steel, Titanium and Bronze armors

All normal great swords (except bronze sword)

Halberd

Spear

-----

Human Nexus 4 (considering the wide array of higher level weps, these two should come down to human:4)

Ti serp

Iron plate torso

-----------

With equipment nexus requirements shifted to be like this i think there'd be at least one choice that would make any player happy.

Then i think using nexus requirement for equipment as basis for instance restrictions would work well.

Edited by Korrode