Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL 180 RC

The first RC for the 180 client is available for testing.

We STRONGLY encourage everyone to download and use it, because if you do not do so, and then after the update the game does not work for you, you will be SOL.

Instructions: Download the Windows installer from here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_180_rc1.exe If you want the Linux/OSX data, get it from http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_180_rc1.zip (no binaries provided yet).

Close the client, run the installer, select the folder where your main EL fodler is installed.

After that, run el.exe as usual. You might want to make a backup of the old el.exe just in case.

If you notice any problems, EXCEPT FOR MAP ISSUES, please post here along with your system specs (video card, OS info, etc.).

For those who want to compile their own client, the following options must be used:

### Current release default options ###

FEATURES += CLUSTER_INSIDES # Group objects into separate clusters for clipping on inside maps

FEATURES += CONTEXT_MENUS # Enable context menus

FEATURES += CUSTOM_LOOK # allows you to customize your look.

FEATURES += CUSTOM_UPDATE # allows autoupdating of custom look information

FEATURES += FUZZY_PATHS # Makes Tab Map walking not always follow exaclty the same path

FEATURES += MINIMAP2 # Disables the rectangular minimap and enables the rotating minimap

FEATURES += NEW_CAMERA_MOTION # Changes the behaviour of the camera by replacing the rotation duration by a constant deceleration. This gives a better control on the positionning of the camera.

FEATURES += NEW_SELECTION # Enables new selection system. Needs OpenGL 1.3 or GL_ARB_texture_env_combine

FEATURES += NEW_SOUND # Enables extended sound effects system

FEATURES += NEW_TEX # use new texture coordinates for enhanced actors

FEATURES += NEW_WEATHER # new weather effects

FEATURES += PNG_SCREENSHOT # make screenshots in W3C's PNG format in game, requires libpng

FEATURES += SKY_FPV # Use skybox with clouds/stars/etc, enable first person view, and other misc changes from Emajekral

FEATURES += TEXT_ALIASES # Text aliases

FEATURES += USE_INLINE # enable some optimizations to use inline functions instead of pure function calls

FEATURES += USE_SHADER # Using shaders for water rendering. Needs NEW_FILE_IO

FEATURES += ZLIB # Enables being able to read gzip compressed files, requires -lzlib/-lz

### Testing options (these options are possible for the next release and should be tested) ###

FEATURES += ATTACHED_ACTORS # allows to have 2 actors that are attached together, one of the actor will exist only on client side (needs server

FEATURES += VARIABLE_SPEED # allow to change the moving speed of actors (needs server support)

Please also help by testing out all "hat" items, and capes too. If you see any hair showing through or something that looks weird on the characters please post here to let me know! :)

Also, DO NOT REPORT MAP BUGS! The maps will only work on the test server until the update!

I've downloaded cvs update and unzipped the rc1 zip. I've installed the new files in my /usr/share/games/el folder and in home/djr/elc folder. When I issue ./el.x86.linux.bin I still get 1.7.0. I tried ./el.x86.linux.bin test and still get 1.7.0. I tried ./el.exe and ./el.exe test:

djr@PoPeYe:~/elc$ ./el.exe

fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0080: stub!

fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"04090409", 0001: stub!

X Error of failed request: GLXBadDrawable

Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)

Serial number of failed request: 551

Current serial number in output stream: 551

djr@PoPeYe:~/elc$ ./el.exe test

fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList

Serial number of failed request: 563

Current serial number in output stream: 563

djr@PoPeYe:~/elc$ djr@PoPeYe:~/elc$ ./el.exe

Serial number of failed request: 551

Current serial number in output stream: 551

djr@PoPeYe:~/elc$ ./el.exe test

fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList

Serial number of failed request: 563

Current serial number in output stream: 563

djr@PoPeYe:~/elc$

Edited by popeye

From what I've seen the 'Drop All' dosn't work for me.

Also the horns on draegoni slightly run over the CoL.

I will post anything else I see/find.

I've downloaded cvs update and unzipped the rc1 zip. I've installed the new files in my /usr/share/games/el folder and in home/djr/elc folder. When I issue ./el.x86.linux.bin I still get 1.7.0. I tried ./el.x86.linux.bin test and still get 1.7.0.

That's because as Ent said there's no linux binary provided. And I suspect the windows client still has version 1.7.0 but is compiled from latest CVS with the new features...

(and I don't think you want to get into wine's problem with the windows binary here).

Try double click.

Try double click.

I guess it's been one of those weeks for me.. Works fine lol. :) All the item swapping seems to be working too. (Capes, Armours, Swords, Medallions, Shields).

From what I've seen it looks freaking awesome. :)

tested it on my wifes laptop which has a very ancient SiS video card, with intel chipset and it seems to run fine on that, havent done anything extensive but will follow up over the next few days ( needless to say was running on poor man )

animations look smoother to, walking that is ......

btw when i put a hat on my gnome his hair stuck out a lil bit at the back, it was a cavalier hat , wasnt disgusting to look at but none the less i could see a little hair, will post a screenshot soon

thanks for update work :)

So far the only problem I've seen is a minor visual glitch. When my character is in the process of sitting or standing and wearing a cloak (tested with the purple Body Piercing cloak) part of one shoulder (shoulderblade area) shows through the cloak briefly. This was with a human male. It happens when not wearing armor and also while wearing armor (I tried several types of torso armor and it happened with each one: leather, chain, titanium plate, bronze plate). Also happens with male elf and male dwarf. I don't notice it with a female elf or female human.

I just checked and it happens with the current client also - never noticed it before.

So far things look nice. Have had some issues with just rotating my camera and i get lag, with no one around. There is also some times, where the cameras rotation is sluggish but i don't lose any fps. I'd say maybe half the times that it gets sluggish rotating i end up losing 20-30 fps. Fps limit is set at 60. Never had the issue before trying out this new client. I have most of the "extra" options like eye candy etc turned on. Tried upping its rotation speed, doesn't seem to help much. Still experimenting with the new client at the moment.

FURTHER EDIT

Adjusting the camera speed a LOT higher and turning down camera deceleration has somehwat helped. Also upped the max fps to 80. It still manages to drop down to around 30 FPS about half the time (even with all extra options disabled) when just turning the camera, no one around.

Edited by rmcin329

When I saved I got this message: Local files saved, asking server to save too...

Instead of the usual "You have been saved!" msg.

Not sure if intentional or not, but thought I'd mention it.

When I saved I got this message: Local files saved, asking server to save too...

Instead of the usual "You have been saved!" msg.

Not sure if intentional or not, but thought I'd mention it.

That's an additional message so people know local files have been saved even if the server side says wait a while. You will have got the normal server message immediately after the new one.

I've just spent sometime walking around South Kilaran admiring the new look monsters (Armed orc, Cyclops and Troll). I must say they look really great and the animations are nice too. One minor detail is their footsteps. I can't easily place my finger on what is differenet but I'd say they look like they are walking on ice, as if they steps slip backwards a little as they walk.

I've tried all the head gear and capes at my disposal and they all look fine, nothing out of place. My character is a human male.

Any chance you could make some horse whistles available for testing?

So far the only glitch I have noticed is that part of my long hair is missing on the right-hand side.

Female ELF

Edited by willowleaf

FURTHER EDIT

Adjusting the camera speed a LOT higher and turning down camera deceleration has somehwat helped. Also upped the max fps to 80. It still manages to drop down to around 30 FPS about half the time (even with all extra options disabled) when just turning the camera, no one around.

It took quite a bit of adjusting to get this set to a more useable (as I use it) state. However, once done I think it's much better and easier to control the camera than before. So I think it's a positive in the end result, just needs a little getting used to when it comes to setting it.

So far the only glitch I have noticed is that part of my long hair is missing on the right-hand side.

Thanks for reporting this, but it would kinda help if I knew who(as in what race) you are you know :P

Thanks for reporting this, but it would kinda help if I knew who(as in what race) you are you know :P

FEMALE ELF

I saw there's a problem with hats for a gnome with long hair. The hair on the back covers the hat. Especially when you wear bandanas, scarf or adventurers hats. I'd show you a screenie but I'm not able to do it on this computer.

I've just spent sometime walking around South Kilaran admiring the new look monsters (Armed orc, Cyclops and Troll). I must say they look really great and the animations are nice too. One minor detail is their footsteps. I can't easily place my finger on what is differenet but I'd say they look like they are walking on ice, as if they steps slip backwards a little as they walk.

I didn't notice this until he posted, but now i see it.. it does look a bit unusual

Another thing I've found, not sure if it's intentional or not...

The shield/protection spells all show above your head except radiation shield which doesn't. (I tried magic protection/immunity, shield and cold/heat/radiation shield spells)

EDIT: I also noticed with the "sto all" and "Mix all" buttons it doesn't seem to retain the settings to leave last row and mix all instead of one after a client restart.

Edited by FatboyJaxx