Eternal Lands Official Forums
hussam

Cols don't show in latest cvs

I did a cvs up today (first one in a long while)

and Cols are invisible. It looks like people aren't wearing any.

Is is a bug or am I missing any new textures?

You probably need Torg's new xml-files:

click me

(I see CoLs with latest cvs plus the files mentioned in that topic).

If you are using the current CVS client without any of the defines listed under the "Testing" section, then no. However, if you are using EXT_ACTOR_DICT then you will need to update your actor defs, yes.

My understanding was that unmodified (i.e. default compile options) CVS should still work but I guess we have to wait for Torg to comment.....

yes, I just cp make.default to make.conf and make -f makefile.linux

Yes, sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I have default compile options too and have the problem described. I think that we have a little bug here because the old files should still work with the default compiled options. :D

I think that we have a little bug here because the old files should still work with the default compiled options. ;)
My understanding was that unmodified (i.e. default compile options) CVS should still work but I guess we have to wait for Torg to comment.....

Not quite. I guess I didn't make this at all clear, sorry.

There were 2 changes to the client and both of them required updated actor defs, but for very different reasons.

The first change was to tidy up the code some and remove the very outdated hard-coded actor definition dictionaries. This change highlighted a couple of missing/broken ID's in player_helmets.xml and player_weapons.xml, which were masked by the check against the dictionary. /edit: Therefore, yes, you will need these updated files to use the CVS client.

The second change was to move the hard-coded dictionaries to the actor def XML files (specifically the 3 parts that do not have ID's in the XML's). The idea behind this being that when Roja updated the actor defs, she could also update the dictionaries which would hopefully mean them not becoming so far out-of-date. This code is under the define EXT_ACTOR_DICT (which Ent has said will probably _not_ be included in the coming update). If you use this you will need to update actor_defs.xml and actor_dict.xml as well.

If you use EMOTES then you will need an updated player_frames.xml file. However, the new animations have not been created/distributed yet and so there really is no point.

Edited by Torg

I think that we have a little bug here because the old files should still work with the default compiled options. :P

Not quite. I guess I didn't make this at all clear, sorry.

Sorry, I'm still not clear what you are saying. With a default compile of CVS (i.e. without EMOTES & EXT_ACTOR_DICT defined), do I need your updated files? Did your bug fix mean we need the updated files? If so that bug fix should really have been #defined too.....

Edited by bluap

Sorry, I'm still not clear what you are saying. With a default compile of CVS (i.e. without EMOTES & EXT_ACTOR_DICT defined), do I need your updated files?

Yes.

If so that bug fix should really have been #defined too.....

Hmmm, debatable.

It wasn't a bug fix as such, it was cleaning up the code. Specifically, removing very old (circa 1.4.0) unmaintained code. The problem is, the removing of said code exposed 2 minor problems in the current actor defs (which have now been fixed in Roja's master versions).

In this case, I believe there are 2 correct actions. Either, to update said old code, or remove it. There is no point #ifdef'ing something that is out-of-date and should be removed as that would simply clutter up the client even more. Because of this I chose to remove it.

Maybe a better course of action for this would be to ask for an auto-update of the actor defs so that everyone obtains the fixed versions. This would have no effect on the current client, and simply fix the transition to an updated CVS client.

At the moment the auto update server is not working - I think learner mentioned the new host not properly supporting vhosts iirc.

At the moment the auto update server is not working - I think learner mentioned the new host not properly supporting vhosts iirc.

Hmmm, must have missed that. Oh well.

After talking to Ent about he he said this close to the update it doesn't matter. Just provide them as a zip file.