Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fedora

Macintosh OS X client 1.7.0 bugs thread

This is the "official" OS X bugs thread for the 1.7.x client release. Check this post from time to time, i will update it with bug fixes.

You can get the game here: http://www.ilmiomenu.altervista.org/

I added a little utility called ChooseELServer to log on different EL servers (main,test,pk) without much hacking. Just launch it, select a server and click Ok. ChooseELServer and EternalLands applications MUST be in the same folder.

Current EL version 1.7.0

Mac version .1a (10.4+ Universal Binary)

Notes:

If you are looking for it the el.ini file is found in ~/Library/Application Support/Eternal Lands under the "main" directory currently.

PLEASE, when you post a bug, include the type of Mac you use, the OS version and graphical settings (e.g. water shader quality, reflections, shadows, UVP...). Crash logs can be useful too.

Also, you may experience some map bugs until the main server update. That's normal, dont report it.

This was primarily built on a PPC IBook.

Finally, stay on topic please. This thread is for identifying bugs in the OS X client.

Someone reported to me crashes before the login screen, apparently caused by the loading of animation programs (i.e. a call to load_vertex_programs) with an ATI video card. I cant test animation programs so i cant investigate further. However in such cases, just adding #use_animation_program=0 in el.ini (locate under home/Library/Application Support/Eternal Lands/main) solves the issue. There is a separate el.ini for each server, so if you want to log on test or pk you have to modify the corresponding el.ini

If the crash (or the weird graphics, low fps, no texturing...) is after the login screen you can solve directly by clicking on settings button at login and unchecking the animaton program option (under video tab iirc). Probably you have to log out and log back in for it to work.

Enjoy :icon13:

P.S.

Play a bit with the sky&cam settings so we can have feedback on the new cameras. Also try alt+f for first person view and alt+g for grab mode. If you lack a third mouse button you can set the second one for camera movement.

Also we have now context menus. Just right click (or apple+click) on windows, hud, console and your character to bring up some options.

I still get that weird thing where your character is black.

And it gets really laggy.....so i can't really do anything except #exit

Do we still have to type #use_animation_program=0

??

I know my computer is a g4

I get a uvp of 1 when i don't type #use_animation_program=0 but when i do type it in el.ini it goes back to 0

But that only happened on 1.6.0 not on 1.7.0 when i type it, it acts like i never typed it and i lag and and lag

now i can't play on my mac anymore.

But i do see that some how my uvp turned to 1

Edited by daiske1

Congrats on taking over the "official" bugs list. I will help out when I can.

I saw the same crash after login that others have noticed with your client:

Process:		 EternalLands [7757]
Path:			/Volumes/EternalLands/EternalLands.app/Contents/MacOS/EternalLands
Identifier:	  net.0ctane.EternalLands
Version:		 ??? (1.7.0)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [116]

Date/Time:	   2008-07-15 09:31:42.877 -0400
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   ???						   	0x16ab5cee 0 + 380329198
1   GLEngine						  0x1659631a gleDrawArraysOrElements_ExecCore + 266
2   GLEngine						  0x1659880d gleDrawArraysOrElements_VBO_Exec + 1341
3   libGL.dylib				   	0x96159b08 glDrawElements + 120
4   net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x00127eaf cal_render_actor_shader + 1425
5   net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x00015dbe draw_actor_without_banner + 466
6   net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x0012a5f3 reset_under_the_mouse + 1415
7   net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x000a7696 display_game_handler + 384
8   net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x0003e82e draw_window + 611
9   net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x0003e974 display_windows + 94
10  net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x000342a9 draw_scene + 259
11  net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x000ca04a start_rendering + 394
12  net.0ctane.EternalLands	   	0x000ca329 SDL_main + 47

Might I suggest that you alter the distributed el.ini file so that the animation program is turned off by default? This will save some headaches. Cheers.

Something I just noticed, perhaps it's my settings: the in-game water (such as the river in Palon Vertas) seems to be just a solid blue colour now, instead of the old textured/reflected version. If this has been solved elsewhere, just point me in the direction and accept my apologies: I couldn't find it. When I turn reflections on, the water turns black. The water shader quality is set at '2,' and changing the shadow settings doesn't really affect it (except that shadows appear on the water). What other settings would be useful to figure this out? I don't know what might affect it. My video card is is the ATI one below.

Something I just noticed, perhaps it's my settings: the in-game water (such as the river in Palon Vertas) seems to be just a solid blue colour now, instead of the old textured/reflected version. If this has been solved elsewhere, just point me in the direction and accept my apologies: I couldn't find it. When I turn reflections on, the water turns black. The water shader quality is set at '2,' and changing the shadow settings doesn't really affect it (except that shadows appear on the water). What other settings would be useful to figure this out? I don't know what might affect it. My video card is is the ATI one below.

I have noticed the same thing. 0 gives reflections and water color...however it has no textures and looks like a mirrored image of the sky. 1 gives the blue color without reflections but with reflections turned on gives solid black...same with 2.

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, ATY,RV350M10, AGP, 64 MB

mmm...now that you point it out...yes, i have solid color water too (and no water shader support). Looking into data seems that tiles/tile0.bmp is the guilty one. In this client it is a 16x16 blueish texture, while in 1.6 is a 256x256 "waved" texture...should ask Roja about this.

EDIT:

[PM from Roja: hi, yes it was made solid because the clouds from the sky are now reflected in it]

so i guess that without a working water shader we cant have rippled water. I cant look into mac shader due to my hardware, maybe in september if that long awaited iMac comes to me :whistle:

Edited by Fedora

All the sky things and new camera stuff seems to work great. Except most of the camera modes are very jumpy, perhaps this is just my computer trying to keep up with the extra graphics, but the camera rotated a lot smoother in the past.

(iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.5.3)

seems that tiles/tile0.bmp is the guilty one.

As a temporary fix, I replaced the new tile0.bmp with the one in 1.60b. I think it worked, but I can't confirm until I get to a map with some daylight in it. At the very least, it didn't crash the client.

Edit: Yes, it works just like before now.

Edited by Lyeowar

All the sky things and new camera stuff seems to work great. Except most of the camera modes are very jumpy, perhaps this is just my computer trying to keep up with the extra graphics, but the camera rotated a lot smoother in the past.

(iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.5.3)

I can assure you the new camera is a lot smoother than the previous. However try playing with:

- Camera rotation speed under Controls tab

- Maximum viewing distance under Adv video tab (the lower you set, the higher the fps but less object seen)

- Maximum reflecion distance under Adv video tab (the lower you set, the higher the fps but not so good loking reflections)

So I hear tell of a wonderful new round minimap, yet mine is still very square. Any idea what's going on there? :)

(and I worked out some things with the camera rotation, thanks!)

So I hear tell of a wonderful new round minimap, yet mine is still very square. Any idea what's going on there? :)

(and I worked out some things with the camera rotation, thanks!)

I'm working on a little update system for Mac client. With it you will be able to have the latest cvs client (with not yet released features like the rotating minimap) without downloading the whole data everytime or compiling the client. When rotating minimap is finished (and i have some free time :ph34r: ) i will distribute the updater.

:) I thought MINIMAP2 was in the official feature set now ...

Great idea with the updater!

Maybe it could support several repositories, I'd like to make my core2duo optimized and profiled builds available too :ph34r:

:) I thought MINIMAP2 was in the official feature set now ...

duh! is it? :ph34r:

well...not round but at least is sticky :D

Ok, as soon as updater is finished i compile with MINIMAP2 and distribute it

Another (potentially silly) question/bug: the sky in the teleroom is black (even during the day, I think), not the purply goodness that I've heard tell of. What are the settings that this relies on?

I've got all of the Sky features enabled, all the eye candy except lamp halos and transparency resolution(neither affect it), all the adv. video except shadow map, mip map and vertex array. I've got only fog and special effects running in the details, but none of the others seem to affect it - similarily with the video tab, I've only 'new selection' enabled. (BTW, is the a more concise way of giving this info?)

The machine, as before, is a 15" PB g4 on 10.4.

Leander

This is a strange thing that i can't sort out :S

Am using a MacBook with Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11

It's my 4th day using 1.7 client and to be able to log on the PK/Test Server I need to re-install the client every day. After i re-install it it works fine for as long as I can play. But if I log off at 00:30 and try to log on at 16:00 I need to reinstall the client all over again.

I tried to log using the terminal and the ChoseELServer app (great app when the client is working properly, I really love it) and until i re-install the game once again i can't log.

The client opens normally, I can click on it with the mouse, but I can't type anything and it always takes me to "create a new character" no matter where i click.

picture1cx8.th.jpg

As you can see on the screen shot the client is open, on top, but the only app Mac OS X says is selected is the Terminal. If i try to circle apps using "function + tab" keys EL icon won't show.

Can anyone give me an idea why this is happening?

PS: The client looks great, Congratulations on all the great work done.

And while i'm at it, here is the updater for the client with new minimap and new weather (i missed it too in the first build :w00t:)

Download: http://www.ilmiomenu.altervista.org/update_el170b.zip

Unzip it

Launch update_el application

Follow instructions (simply select the EL client and click ok)

The updater is *really* experimental, i'm still learning Applescript in my little spare time, but it should work for the time being.

EDIT:

if the link doesnt work by clicking it (opening the web space provider homepage), copy it in a new browser window url bar

Edited by Fedora

fed....i think i don't read the language on that link.

its all gibberish to me.

What do i click.

Trying copying and pasting it into your browser, rather than simply clicking :w00t:

Not sure what I might be doing wrong, but by looking at some of the pics that other people have posted, I do not have a sky. I have turned everything on and updated the client with Fed's updater. All I see are the reflections of the clouds in the water then from the horizon up there is a light blue "wall" and then above that a stark white "wall". I see no clouds at all except in the water.

Doc

everyone with no sky, pls post mac hardware and system you are using, what graphical settings you have (water shader, shadow, framebuffer....) and the contents of home/library/application support/Eternal Lands/error_log.txt

I run 10.5.3 off of my macbook. With (I think) and Intel GMA 950 graphics card.

I would post the contents of my library files but I have looked everywhere and I don't have one. I have looked in my library files and there is no Eternal Lands folder at all.

GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_texture_env_combine extension found, using it.

Couldn't find the GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension, not using it...

Couldn't find the GL_ARB_point_sprite extension, not using it...

GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension found, using it.

GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension found, using it.

GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_fragment_shader extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_vertex_shader extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_shader_objects extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension found, using it.

GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat extension found, NOT using it...

GL_ARB_texture_rectangle extension found, NOT using it...

GL_EXT_fog_coord extension found, NOT using it...

Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

Not using vertex program for actor animation.

I have basically everything turned on that I can in the options menu. If you need any more information from me, just let me know. Thanks

Doc

**update: I ran spotlight and searched for error_log.txt. all that it came up with is a few webpages from el that had that phrase in it. If I create an Eternal Lands folder in my library file with an error_log.txt would that fix that issue or is it something that wasn't DLed correctly?

Edited by Doc_Savage