Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Schmurk

Firing an arrow at a map object

After a suggestion of Aislinn, we are adding into the client a way to fire an arrow at a map object. This will be possible only if you have a range weapon equipped so the attack cursor should not always be available on objects.

There are several ways to do it and as it will maybe have an impact the gameplay, we need some feedback to know what people prefer.

So far, the two main possibilities when your mouse is over an object are the following:

• the cursor is changed to the attack cursor as soon as you press special keys (like the alt key when you want to attack another player)
  • you need to right click with the mouse to switch to the attack cursor (it can also be combined with some special keys)

So if you have any suggestions on how you'd see it, please tell us... ;)

After a suggestion of Aislinn, we are adding into the client a way to fire an arrow at a map object. This will be possible only if you have a range weapon equipped so the attack cursor should not always be available on objects.

There are several ways to do it and as it will maybe have an impact the gameplay, we need some feedback to know what people prefer.

So far, the two main possibilities when your mouse is over an object are the following:

• the cursor is changed to the attack cursor as soon as you press special keys (like the alt key when you want to attack another player)
  • you need to right click with the mouse to switch to the attack cursor (it can also be combined with some special keys)

So if you have any suggestions on how you'd see it, please tell us... ;)

I think it should be as similar to shooting at a player as possible. Fewer things for players to have to remember and more consistent.

The issue with that is that you can accidentally fire at objects and waste your ammo. Firing at objects will not be soemthing done very often.

Is there a way to make certain items like archery targets, be recognised by the program as a creature ?, then the cursor would auto change as normal and only a few items would be able to be targetted.

Is there a way to make certain items like archery targets, be recognised by the program as a creature ?, then the cursor would auto change as normal and only a few items would be able to be targetted.

The idea is to be able to fire at any objects. It could then have a lot of uses, quests, secret passages...

About using the alt key like Learner proposed, it can be feasible but the player would have to change to the attack cursor by right clicking on the object. This way, the conflict with the actual use of the alt key would be limited...

I think holding ctrl or alt down while you have a bow/quiver equiped sounds fine. That would bring up the attack cursor on objs.

I think holding ctrl or alt down while you have a bow/quiver equiped sounds fine. That would bring up the attack cursor on objs.

I like this, simple to do and remember. I'd prefer ctrl myself.

(and yay!!! )

Although I don't expect it will be done as much once Arrows cost, I love this idea!

I really, really hope it gets in. ;)

Well, it can be used in contests, or stuff like: You have to fire an arrow from very far away in this target to enter the map kind of things.

There should be list of objects it is used for. Firing target on archery range is logical, but how often someone would intentionally attack grass or small rocks?

Could be server side to not spoil quests and secret stuff it might be used for:

If player wants to shoot at object, if object is used for something, fire arrow, else, ignore it.

Edited by ville-v

Will your char continue to fire in the official version? or do you have to click every time?

Anyway, i think that u should have to press

o CTRL + T

o Or ALT +T

T for target map object

That isn't used atm?

I don't mind ether one :icon13:

Ctrl is used for something else.

After looking at the code, it's ctrl+right click which is used for the forced walk. But this feature is only useful when you're sat. So we can also disable it when the player is not sat then the ctrl key will be available for our needs.

We can also have the 2 options in the code for firing at an object. If a range weapon is equipped, we can just switch to attack cursor by right clicking on the object and also have a shortcut with the control key.

After looking at the code, it's ctrl+right click which is used for the forced walk. But this feature is only useful when you're sat. So we can also disable it when the player is not sat then the ctrl key will be available for our needs.

Ctrl-right click is useful for walking around when you do not want to click on items (e.g. if surrounded by summons, or even harvestable items).

Actually, I've put the following behavior on the CVS:

• if you have a range weapon equipped, you can access to the attack cursor by right clicking on any object
  • if you have a range weapon equipped and if you press both CTRL & ALT keys while your mouse is over an object, the cursor will automatically change to the attack one

What I did is just an example and there are maybe better ways to do it. It's just to allow the people who can compile the CVS version to test and then see if there could be better solutions...

Ctrl-right click is useful for walking around when you do not want to click on items (e.g. if surrounded by summons, or even harvestable items).

And for the roof in VotD... A great spot for shooting at Invasion creatures. :o

Edit: That sounds good Schmurk. :)

Edited by LIGHTspeed

Ctrl is used for something else.

We can also have the 2 options in the code for firing at an object. If a range weapon is equipped, we can just switch to attack cursor by right clicking on the object and also have a shortcut with the control key.

Like asgnny said, it's a very useful feature!

Afaik it's the "old" walk function, which doesn't take height differences into account.

I use it very much, especially on maps with lots of trees.

Ctrl+alt+click sounds good though, as an extension to the alt+click for attacking (creatures) without walking on a mis-click. :o

• if you have a range weapon equipped and if you press both CTRL & ALT keys while your mouse is over an object, the cursor will automatically change to the attack one

Is it possible to get this functionality implemented even if you don't have a ranged weapon equipped? Please :)

EDIT:

as an extension to the alt+click for attacking (creatures) without walking on a mis-click. :)

Based on my test (from quite a while back), the alt+click doesn't work if the last cursor your had selected was "look".

Sorry to go slightly off topic with this btw :o

Edited by Korrode

Is it possible to get this functionality implemented even if you don't have a ranged weapon equipped? Please :icon13:
The alt key already do this but I'll change it in order that it doesn't block your actions when you don't have a range weapon equipped.

Based on my test (from quite a while back), the alt+click doesn't work if the last cursor your had selected was "look".
Yes, the attack cursor appears only when you're in walk mode. BTW, it's the same with what I've put on the CVS for objects.