Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

Weather Effects and Extreme Weather

A bunch of us we talking about how we could have more intense weather in EL in ch4 a few min ago, so here's the thread (evilmangopie made me do it! :P)

The idea is just some extra weather effects ingame, with a rare chance for intense weather that has an effect on your character

Sandstorms: DP would be a prime place for this, as well as C2's deserts. You could treat these like rainstorms, just use tinted fog to be the sand's color and have a strong wind sound in the back to replace the rain sound. An intense sandstorm could have an icon show up similar to the one you have when you're poisoned, and it would lower your accuracy and perception while in the storm

Flooding and Tides: This one would be simple having areas of the map be underwater during certain times of the day, but you can still walk through the floodwaters. Walking through deep water would lower your evasion. During an intense version of a flood, you can include heavy rainfall and perhaps a brief moment of being parylized due to riptides or something similar to that.

Earthquakes: Being around active volcanoes such as Redmoon or around a fault (something to be considered I guess) could have occaisional tremors that shake the screen for a few seconds every now and then at random, perhaps a random chance every few minutes. An intense earthquake could cause paralysis in it's blast radius (essentially around the mountain), and have smaller tremors every minute for 10 minutes afterward that have a 10% chance of parylizing anything in the radius

Volcanic Eruptions: Would make an interesting prelude to a dragon invasion, instead of having to figure out lava flows and such, there could be the tremor graphic effects of shaking followed by some rumbling sounds. Then there could be the shadow of rocks for about 10 seconds on certain tiles where a chunk of molten rock will land, and being in the radius of say 3 times of the rock when it hits could cause 50 heat damage. Rocks would fall for 5 minutes to an hour, depending on the intesity of the eruption. There would be alot of forewarning of an eruption with tremors beforehand

Mugwump's Lightning: Mugwump suggested that players could be struck by lighting by rare chance. My little add on is it could be heat damage since electricity conducting armors seem to have a weakness to heat ingame, and wearing said armors in a storm in the open or on hills could raise the chances of being struck. Someone else mentioned it could be magic damage so MI could resist it, although pretty unpredictable strikes.

Winds: Heavier winds could affect archery if/when implemented, cause fires to go out faster, hinder evasion, ect. Intense winds would be gale force and even push you around a tile here and there.

Snowstorms: For the snow maps and some of the forest maps, could increase cold damage and cause a large drop in perception, add heavy fog. Winds would amplify the cold damage significantly. The most intense versions could be a total white-out, where mapwalking causes your character to wander alot more than usual on the way to the path (Fuzzy paths with an extremely wide movement area)

We mentioned tornadoes a few times but it's kinda hard to figure a way to put them in with a nearly isometric camera view

Hurricanes could work however, by working with floodwaters and winds, you could even have a forecast for them ingame to add some depth to the weather

edit: forgot to mention wildfires, could have some heat damage in areas on fire, probably happen alot in DP bordering the desert and forest

Edited by TheComet

Can we have falling snow in the cold regions beside rain ?

And what about flooding ? and earth quakes ?

yes its pretty extreme and maybe lots of work idk . just wanted to write it down :hiya:

Mugwump's Lightning: Mugwump suggested that players could be struck by lighting by rare chance. My little add on is it could be heat damage since electricity conducting armors seem to have a weakness to heat ingame, and wearing said armors in a storm in the open or on hills could raise the chances of being struck. Someone else mentioned it could be magic damage so MI could resist it, although pretty unpredictable strikes.

I had the exact same idea, so did a few other people , my tread was locked so i doubt this will happen

lightning strike - interesting , i like the idea in general but i dont feel comfortable if it could happen just everywhere at any time (during bad weather). so maybe limit it to certain areas like hills.. or pk areas would be funny too.

Edited by SolarStar

Yes, i'm proud of digging out this topic again :sneaky:

What about the quicksand message in Bethel ? Why not give a -x HP (whatever the number ist) when you are walking in the "quicksand" ?

1. Would be logic

2. Farming in Bethel would be more... interesting :whistle:

3. +1 Adrenaline while doing the Haidir Quest

4. There is no number 4 + 6 !

5. You got damages in (radiation or poison iirc) in Aeth Aelfan PK zone in some areas, why not in Bethel's quicksand ?

6. Read number 4 please !

Lillaka

(COEP)

Chief Officer of Emotional Pulse

Yes, i'm proud of digging out this topic again :sneaky:

What about the quicksand message in Bethel ? Why not give a -x HP (whatever the number ist) when you are walking in the "quicksand" ?

1. Would be logic

2. Farming in Bethel would be more... interesting :whistle:

3. +1 Adrenaline while doing the Haidir Quest

4. There is no number 4 + 6 !

5. You got damages in (radiation or poison iirc) in Aeth Aelfan PK zone in some areas, why not in Bethel's quicksand ?

6. Read number 4 please !

Lillaka

(COEP)

Chief Officer of Emotional Pulse

IMHO it would rather make frustrating to play on that map during invasions or even daily. I know several people doing rage quit after dying in WS sewers or AA swamps.

Please leave Bethel alone.

The rest of idea (especially snow instead of rain on ‘cold maps’) is worth consideration.

IMHO it would rather make frustrating to play on that map during invasions or even daily. I know several people doing rage quit after dying in WS sewers or AA swamps.

Please leave Bethel alone.

The rest of idea (especially snow instead of rain on ‘cold maps’) is worth consideration.

I agree with dev on this one...

lightning strike - interesting , i like the idea in general but i dont feel comfortable if it could happen just everywhere at any time (during bad weather). so maybe limit it to certain areas like hills.. or pk areas would be funny too.

Hahaha your right, that would be way funny in PK areas... Such as that PK platform looking place in C2... Can't remember the name of the map it's on tho

Edited by Orick

wow this topic is 5 years old. I had already forgotten what I wrote here :) .

wow this topic is 5 years old. I had already forgotten what I wrote here :) .

What this has to do with the subject? Or you just so eager to get Leperchuan rank?

Sorry, I had to comment since your last posts wave make me irritated.

Frustration gone, back to the topic.

Snow instead of rain on ‘cold maps’, I vote for that, should also be easy to code.

Edited by Devnul

There's an old game called DungeonMaster by FTL that has lightning when it rains. the lightning will start light and not often, and increase to crazy storm levels sometimes. If your party does get hit, 9 times out of 10, you all die. As big as some maps are, if the weather got bad, the chance to be hit would be rare, and in smaller maps, it wouldn't take long to change maps or find shelter.