Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
conavar

Tailoring

With the forthcoming update and the Tailoring skill 99% likely to be included ( http://eternal-lands.blogspot.com/ ) ( I say 99% because unforseen problems do occur) I was wondering what others players thoughts and hopes are for it .

Personally I am greatly looking forward to it, I think it will bring a good deal of flavour and individualism to EL ( we wont all look like K-Mart rejects or wannabe ninjas :angry: ) and I hope that a lot of the "finished" items of clothing require high levels to make, so the market is not swamped and the skill becomes a challenge to master.

Be nice if Ent released a list of low end basic components ( like he did for engineering) before the update so players can prepare if they like..

So what do players think will be used !!!

Thread

Cloth ( made from 10-20 thread)

leather

animal furs ( hopefully a few of the unused ones .. thinking 70's leopard print lol )

Fruits,Berrys etc for colours for the dyes.

ermm take a guess

:)

Edit: With such a major amount of new items coming into the game.. isnt it about time for a storage capacity increase ?

Edited by conavar

Clip for cloaks, from iron bars...

Belts from leather and clips...

Silver/Gold thread for lining from appropriate bars...

Also why by limited to one kind of cloth. There can be linen cloth, silk, velvet, cashmir and other more luxurious materials...

Edit: With such a major amount of new items coming into the game.. isnt it about time for a storage capacity increase ?

Omg did you HAVE to remind me of that? :)

*dives in her sto to see what she can still get rid of*

Omg did you HAVE to remind me of that? :angry:

*dives in her sto to see what she can still get rid of*

:) yeah me too Molime.. got the problem that tailoring has caught my interest more than engineering ever did ...

The tailoring skill will be a speciality skill, where a few people only should try to go into it.

If everyone does that, it will be pointless, just think about how prestigious a Ferrari would be if everyone drives one.

So because this skill requires sacrifices (lots of storage space), a lot of hard work in the beginning (the first 30 levels or so will be used only to make dyes and fabric), I hope that only a few people (maybe 1% of the players) would actually have the motivation to level up.

Considering that

1) all my crafting exp is from thread, and

2) I am a vain, over-privileged elf just dreaming of becoming a true EL fashion victim,

I am ALL OVER this new skill. :)

You know, considering that clothing and textiles were a major cash generator of the Middle Ages, as well as one of the driving cornerstone industries of both the Renaissance and the Industrial Revolution, tailoring could have a pretty interesting effect on EL's economy -- provided people can figure out how to run a medieval business at all. *starts spinning thread now*

Looms haven't been mentioned yet

Edit: spindles havn't been mentioned yet

We have to assume we do it by magic, since we've been spinning cotton into perfectly spooled thread all this time without either spindles, or spinning wheels, or carding combs, or lazy kates, or skein winders and swifts, or any of the other tools of the trade. :)

I am also really looking forward to this skill!

Fashion is my thing :)

Since football season is almost over I plan to definitely get into it :angry:

We have to assume we do it by magic, since we've been spinning cotton into perfectly spooled thread all this time without either spindles, or spinning wheels, or carding combs, or lazy kates, or skein winders and swifts, or any of the other tools of the trade. :)

That maybe true for thread, but any new items are down to the whim of Ent and how he wants the items to be produced and how hard he wants to make it.. take dyes for example simple option would be just to mix berries with mortar and pestle, but hard option could be that a potion of extraction is needed etc.. or loom needed to mix the thread into cloth

I will definitely try it out and I think it will make it more so people aren't always walking around in full armor just to go from place to place. Also will help with costuming for my plays :-P

That maybe true for thread, but any new items are down to the whim of Ent and how he wants the items to be produced and how hard he wants to make it.. take dyes for example simple option would be just to mix berries with mortar and pestle, but hard option could be that a potion of extraction is needed etc.. or loom needed to mix the thread into cloth

I know. In fact, I'd rather see more tools needed for more jobs -- like a spindle to turn cotton into thread, or a potion-type formula for dyes using both plants and mineral fixatives (mordants), large pots that you have to have equipped for dying (in which to soak the cloth in the dye), and looms for making cloth. I'd also love it if there were different garments you could make at higher levels of tailoring skill -- starting with simple shirts and pants, all the way up to embroidered tunics/gowns (which would require both dyed fabrics and dyed threads). Oh, I could get crazy carried away with stuff like this. :)

Well if you look in the " Announcements " section of the forum Peino you will see some of the items we will hopefully be able to make.. ( some great work by Roja)

...just think about how prestigious a Ferrari would be if everyone drives one.

:) plz allow "the Hooded Robe" to be a item that can be made. (AntiRoot wore one during weddings and such)

Be nice if Ent released a list of low end basic components ( like he did for engineering) before the update so players can prepare if they like..

I sure hope he does, I'm really excited about this skill and want to get started on it as soon as i can :)

roleplaying wise, I'll get into tailoring, since I'm going to get p2p as a gnome. :)

Sounds hard 'n challangeing, but I might end up likeing it, seeing as engineering and summoning are my favorite skills. :)

(yes, I know summoning was MUCH harder before stones, but still...)

~kGn

Yes, there will be a loom. But the thread will still be made the way it is made now, and will still be under crafting, to avoid people making a shitload of tailoring exp in the cotton patch.

There will be no tailoring potion, since tailoring is supposed to be the hardest skill.

Perhaps a Bowl needs to be added for dying the cloth?

My ideas on the recipies:

Blue Dye - 15 blue berries, 5 WE, tool: M&P

Red Dye - 20 Red Currant, 7 WE, tool: M&P

Orange Dye - 17 poppies, 6 WE, tool: M&P

Purple dye - 10 valerian, 10 henbane, 8 WE, tool: M&P

Yellow dye - 10 sunflowers, 12 yarrow, 4 WE, tool: M&P

Green dye - 20 wormwood, 10 WE, tool: M&P

Cloth - 30 thread, 4 energy ess, 4 matter ess, tools: needle, loom

Blue Cloth - 5 blue dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

Red Cloth - 5 red dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

Orange Cloth - 6 orange dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

Purple Cloth - 7 purple dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

Yellow Cloth - 10 yellow dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

Green Cloth - 8 green dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

Those could all take a while to get the ing for and lvls could be set to what ever :)

I personally cant wait for tailoring and to start levelling it up. Crafting is my favourite skill and I feel that tailoring could be similair (A big challenge to level that many players wont want to try. Also as a comple non-fighter I want to be able to look fancy without buying useless armour :). Making the first 30 levels just on simple things is perfect IMO. Also think all the new clothes (Love them so far Roja!) will really add to the game (especially for RP). Still just can't wait!

EDIT: Will there be a NPC to sell any of the things to? (As I cannot see players wanting to buy clothes in bulk really). NPC's that buy crafting/manu things help level a lot.

Edited by evilmangopie

Not sure if there will be any NPC to buy clothes. If we do that, a lot of people would train tailoring.

Good point. Maybe if the items an NPC would buy would only be 40/50 recc lv+ then there shouldnt be too many people training it if to get to that level is hard and the NPC would only buy maybe for a just about break even price :)