Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
flinto

Plague

This is an idea for a new day

The day of the Rats!

Today the fleas on the rats have multiplied dramatically and any one that enters combat with a rat has a chance (variable by day from 0.1% - 1%) of being infected from the fleas that jump on them with the black death!

(Additional Explanation - Mortos has worked hard with his ebulness and has managed to return the plague to these Eternal Lands. He has infected the rats!! Anyone that enters combat with a rat ....)

Black Death

Like Poison but you start by losing 1 HP and each minute the amount of health lost increases; so after 29 mins (could do increases at same rate as poison) you lose 30 HP - we dont want people to die too soon - the infection must spread!!

If you stand or sit next to a person with plague (or vice versa) you have a 10% chance of catching it - maybe 5% if you are 2 squares away and 1% for 3 squares

1% of people infected will be carriers and not lose health; they will be able to pass it on to others

To know you are suffering you have a black dot like the poison symbol (could there be some sign on a character so people know to avoid: pustles on the face - maybe appearing after 5 mins infection)

A simple basic potion of minor healing has a 50% chance of curing the Black Death (the idea is to encourage new people into the crafts instead of bashing monsters).

A BR or magic will not cure you but will save you from death as normal

Death brings its own cure.

Bots are immune to the disease

OK having read the comments and a few ingame I propose a few changes to the original idea

1. The rate of infection growth should be much slower - maybe 1 HP increase every 5-10 minutes (possibly random by day). This means that in an hour at 10 mins you lose 10+20+30+40+50+60=210HP. This will also allow the infection to spread before people realise they are infected

2. It shouldn't be rats only that spread it. Each plague day Mortos infects a different creature (maybe a fluffy one day and a racoon the next)

3. As it is the fleas that infect people then if you wear a skunk hat you get an infection chance of 1/8th the rate without. If you were a flea would you go near a smelly skunk?

4. If you cure yourself with a minor heal pot then you are immune to further infections that day unless you die

5. If you die (whether you were immune or not) then you are cured but you can get infected again.

-------

Well there you go - and here come the flames :)

edit: added the bot immunity

edit 2: an additional day explanation

edit 3: changes in this colour after suggestions

Edited by Flinto

Actually, I really like this idea. When I saw the thread title I thought you meant a day where rats spawn everywhere so loads of them (which isn't such a bad idea, but this is better). I really like the idea of it expanding the interaction with the world and other players without fighting/trading etc. It would mean you'd have to keep an eye out when mixing etc. Mass migrations away from storage when someone with the plague walks up.

Unfortunatly, the downside is there would need to be quite a bit of additional coding done to make this work. From the client-side drawing something on actors faces could be a little tricky. I guess it would be possible to switch the texture, but that would mean a heap more textures needed.

I am also wondering a little about how much it would spread. I expect it would spread a bit on C1, at least around VotD and possibly WS storage areas, but I don't know it would reach much beyond there and hence not affect a lot of EL's players. Maybe some way to help it spread wider could be devised, if seen nessessary.

Still, could be cool if added.

/edit: Combining both ideas (a plauge of rats covering every map) and Soldus' idea of rats being agressive would fix my problem of it spreading. :-)

Edited by Torg

From the client-side drawing something on actors faces could be a little tricky. I guess it would be possible to switch the texture, but that would mean a heap more textures needed.

GL_ARB_multitexture :)

(but what about the people with really low end graphics hardware ...)

Atleast I heared something about diseases there that spread through maps they didn't want ;)
Far from being viewed as an error, that is a brilliant achievement -- the game world developing its own dynamics beyond what was intended by the developers.

Edited by trollson

Its actually quite interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6951918.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4272418.stm

I mean it sounds fun and there's nothing wrong with a little plagiarism

right? ;)

EDIT: lol took me so long to find the links (I remember reading about it the other day) Trollson beat me to it :(

Edited by neildog

If you stand or sit next to a person with plague (or vice versa) you have a 10% chance of catching it - maybe 5% if you are 2 squares away and 1% for 3 squares

And you will likely have people that walk around on such a day attempting to infect anyone they can find that is AFK. While slow, this can turn a non-PK map into PK.

No thanks.

They shouldn't be AFK then. Like yesterday, I was AFK for the first seven minutes of the Acid rain, I lost my excavator cape and my MoL, luckily CoL was spared. AFK is not an excuse for anything.

u wont die if u r on ur PC, because it isnt such big damage

dont forget this can only happen in a day, its not like its gonna last for ever, its abit same like the day that removes hp each minute

i like this idea

u wont die if u r on ur PC, because it isnt such big damage

dont forget this can only happen in a day, its not like its gonna last for ever, its abit same like the day that removes hp each minute

i like this idea

Not too much damage? The amount increases every minute and he likens it to poisoning:

Black Death

Like Poison but you start by losing 1 HP and each minute the amount of health lost increases; so after 29 mins (could do increases at same rate as poison) you lose 30 HP - we dont want people to die too soon - the infection must spread!!

So, within 30 minutes of infection you'll have taken 1395 points of damage. That's several restores even for the largest among us. A mere 14 minutes into the infection will deal more than 300 points of damage.

Sure there is a proposed cure method, but you have to keep in mind you can be repeatedly infected and in a relatively short period of time take enough damage to die.

Now, if it wasn't passively transferred but required that you trade with the infected person I'd be more for it. I'm just not keen on the passive infection on non-PK maps.

I like the idea, but Jamin disclosed some good cons to the idea. Although it would be interesting...

I also think it should wear off like the poison does.

Everyone will just stay offline for 6hrs.

And imagine if you were a N00b and that was your first day....bye bye EL....

And if IP is immune, most will just camp there for the day..........

Unlike poison, you should only be infected with a disease once, after which you develop an immunity to it (for game play, you don't have to survive ;) ).

This requires that characters can have 'tags' or markers attached to their character record. Not sure whether this is supported, but it may also be required for an infected or disease carrier marker. (Quests may already use tags, but may use some other mechanism).

Disease effects need not be limited to health (game attribute); they could affect other attributes or skills. For example, reducing your current Attack level.

Attributes and skills recover to their full strength at 1 pt/minute, plus the potions which normally boost them can be used to speed up recovery.

If Attack/Defense are being reduced by disease, then combat experience really needs to be based on skill level values rather than current values to avoid exploit (as discussed
).

Edited by trollson

Flinto played WoW?

Atleast I heared something about diseases there that spread through maps they didn't want ;)

somehwere in a raid instance ppl get a disease debuff which can be brought over to another player if you stand close to em, pets couldn't be cured so when you go to a big city with ur pet they infect other ppl. was a long time ago though

The plague could also made like an invasion, i.e. having an in-game message like

"#Quarantine warning! Mortos has just infested an animal on VotD with the black death. Find and kill it within the next minute or the plague will spread!"

At the same time, noone can leave or enter the sector because of the quarantine (no ring or ship usage, exit-caves should be closed)

The infected animal(s) will also lose health, and they could be aggressive (like invasion monsters). Infected animals will also infect other animals, and players with a 1/10 chance. The infection could have the poison effect and wear off with the time (if it wears off, the animal/player is healed).

If an infected animal dies (by killing it, or because it reaches 0HP) it could drop an antidote. A Player picking this antidote up could heal other players by going near them.

Plus:

Infected players could be red-tagged and PK'able on non-pk-maps (note, however, that the PKer could be infected). Hiding in buildings would reduce but not stop the chance to get infected.

When all infected animals (and players) are dead or healed the sector would be unlocked.

I really like this idea as it would give the low-level-players (like me) an invasion-like scenario ;)

Hmm that sounds interesting, Agonizer.

OK having read the comments and a few ingame I propose a few changes to the original idea (reflected in the original post)

1. The rate of infection growth should be much slower - maybe 1 HP increase every 5-10 minutes (possibly random by day). This means that in an hour at 10 mins you lose 10+20+30+40+50+60=210HP. This will also allow the infection to spread before people realise they are infected

2. It shouldn't be rats only that spread it. Each plague day Mortos infects a different creature (maybe a fluffy one day and a beaver the next)

3. As it is the fleas that infect people then if you wear a skunk hat you get an infection chance of 1/100th the rate without. If you were a flea would you go near a smelly skunk?

4. If you cure yourself with a minor heal pot then you are immune to further infections that day unless you die

5. If you die (whether you were immune or not) then you are cured but you can get infected again.

Edited by Flinto