Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atlantis

Buddy Bug

Now, I know I am the most important person in EL, but that is no reason for me to appear on people's buddy list more than once :omg:picture4xp1.jpg

0ctane is not the only person to report this, so it is not a mac-specific bug, I got it from Annraoi (Who reported 3 Atlantis's :) .) Anyone else having this trouble?

2 possibilities:

1) the person logged on again without logging off, and there was a free 'slot' in the list before their earlier entry(adding a new entry only looks for the first empty slot, doesn't check the entire list)

2) a bug in the check if the name is already known, which I've just fixed(fix is in CVS as of now)

case 1 will be mostly taken care of when we get to offline-buddy support, because deletion of buddies from the list will become quite rare (when a buddy goes offline, they stay on the list... hence, no holes)

the person logged on again without logging off
How do I do that? :)

You could be logged on your laptop and decide to log on your pc in the office and never log off the laptop before you relog onto the pc.

no clue, but that's how you looked in my chat log.

[19:37:04] Atlantis has logged on.
[20:02:55] Atlantis has logged off.
[14:31:36] Atlantis has logged on.
[17:37:47] Atlantis has logged on.
[17:58:21] Atlantis has logged off.
[19:11:34] Atlantis has logged on.
[19:13:20] Atlantis has logged off.

You could be logged on your laptop and decide to log on your pc in the office and never log off the laptop before you relog onto the pc.
I am not sure if that happened with Annraoi, but 0ctane PMed me right after I closed off the client and restarted it on the same computer. I get what you mean, but I don't think I did that.

I am not sure if that happened with Annraoi, but 0ctane PMed me right after I closed off the client and restarted it on the same computer. I get what you mean, but I don't think I did that.
you don't actually have to log in before the previous client closed... as long as it's quick enough.

anyone who has tried closing the client to escape a battle will know that it doesn't work; from the time you close, there's a certain amount of time before the server actually logs you off...

should you open another client in time, you will probably get a second login without having logged off.

hence, another "X has logged on" buddy message

Ok - except 0ctane got it while 3 other people who have me on their buddy list didn't get it, and they were all logged on during the entire time :mace:

Ok - except 0ctane got it while 3 other people who have me on their buddy list didn't get it, and they were all logged on during the entire time :mace:
that's not suprising, though. there is a check in the buddy code that will no re-add to the list if the name is already found... but there are ways that check can fail (as I posted above, one since fixed). the fact that 0ctane is (presumably) using a client that had the offline buddy support (and related bug) supports this