Eternal Lands Official Forums
algunar

Gaining exp when failing

at the moment we only gain exp when we successfully do something, because we 'learn' something (i think). in real life we make mistakes, but thats how we learn. if we never failed and didnt need to 'learn' then life would be boring. im not suggesting that we gain more exp when we fail than when we dont, but just a bit, like 5% of exp gain when successful.

Edited by algunar

Experience for both failure and success is a non-starter (I know of one published RPG which used this method, and a doubt anyone out there will have heard of it...)

Experience from failure has its advantages -- but only if it replaces experience for success.

As a representation of learning through experience, it is more realistic than gaining from success! Though exceptions for critical failure and success would be understandable.

Characters would have to try to pursue things that are at or beyond their limits inorder to progress, rather than take the option of repetition of easy tasks. This would, for example, limit the scope for mass production.

It would limit the scope at high levels in the current game -- which would be dependant on more difficult and challenging tasks to be presented.

I doubt this would be feasible with the current game design though, or whether the majority of the players would be able to come to terms with it.

I suggested this a while back and as I recal it got shot down pretty quick; I'm still in favor of the idea but just warning you not to get your hopes up.

Experience for both failure and success is a non-starter (I know of one published RPG which used this method, and a doubt anyone out there will have heard of it...)

I agree that if you get full XP for both it won't work, but the idea of getting 5% (or 1/20th) of the XP for failure (to show you are still learning something), might work. *shrug*

I agree that if you get full XP for both it won't work, but the idea of getting 5% (or 1/20th) of the XP for failure (to show you are still learning something), might work. *shrug*

If any exp is going to be given for failing, less exp needs to be given when you're welll over the recomended level to try to balance it some.

If any exp is going to be given for failing, less exp needs to be given when you're welll over the recomended level to try to balance it some.

That actually isn't a bad idea there, Learner (if only applied to experience for failures) - I mean, when something becomes so easy as to be menial, you don't learn much from making a mistake.

Although, with the way we already earn levels, this is already designed in - since for most levels, you have to earn more experience than you had to for the last level.

That actually isn't a bad idea there, Learner (if only applied to experience for failures) - I mean, when something becomes so easy as to be menial, you don't learn much from making a mistake.
IRL you'd learn a lot less for an easy success

This is a very bad idea as you would get exp for free and not lose the items needed, so all you would have to do is try to make a serp with lvl 5 manufacture and just keep failing for free exp..so this is not going to work to well....

This is a very bad idea as you would get exp for free and not lose the items needed, so all you would have to do is try to make a serp with lvl 5 manufacture and just keep failing for free exp..so this is not going to work to well....

you wouldnt get much exp for failing. you might lose the items needed, especially if you're lvl 5 manu and trying to make serp sword, you'll lose your items non stop!

Well in real life, if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing, you wont gain experiance in it. Example: Doing the skeleton for the first time :D

Well in real life, if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing, you wont gain experiance in it. Example: Doing the skeleton for the first time

yeh but also, you figure out what you did wrong, and then you correct it. if you have no idea what you're doing then you haven't read the book so you cant make an item anyway.

I'm for this idea. I'd get to make items 20 levels above mine, and get experiance still.

but you would get less experience than if you were to make an item 0 lvls above yours.

I'm for this idea. I'd get to make items 20 levels above mine, and get experiance still.

Exactly. As nice the idea is, it is easy to abuse.

Piper

Exactly. As nice the idea is, it is easy to abuse.

Piper

As also pointed out, the failure rate already is high enough that enough material would be lost, and so little experience earned, that attempting to gain this way would be incredibly wasteful, expensive, and utimately futile.

For example, how many level 0 summoners try to summon fluffies? Not many; you'd waste material, including the ELE (in and of itself expensive), and *maybe* get that one level... in the meantime, someone else starts summoning normal rabbits at far less cost, and gains levels far quicker.

I doubt anyone is suggesting a failure shold be equal experience to a success, but couldn't there be at least something for the attempt?

What about the following idea:

If you are below the recommended level, you get full exp for success, and less for failing (the lower your lvel the less XP you get).

If you are above the recommended level, you get full exp for failure, and less for success (the higher your lvel the less XP you get).

If you are on the recommended level, you get full exp for both success and failure.

nice idea petersohn, but i dont like the idea of getting more exp for failing than success, but i guess ifyou make a mistake when you're experienced in that area then its silyl that you make a mistake.