Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

If you forget your password...

Don't ask us for it!

We get way too many "I forgot my password can you give it to me?" requests. We have been being nice and actually getting them for you. From now on we will ignore them completely or copy and paste the link to this thread here.

If you don't know your password, you've lost your character! And if you gave your character away to others and they changed your password, that's your own fault!

Eventually the programmers will make a program to store your passwords and send them to your email if you forget them(basically the system that every other game out there has). We know this is important so hopefully it'll be soon, but there's no guarantees as to when it will be done. So in the meantime, try to take some responsibility for yourself!

What can you do to make sure you dont' loose your password?

Write it down somewhere safe so that you can look it up! It's not hard to keep a small notebook with your passwords somewhere at home. Just hide it so your brothers/sister/grandma won't find it and steal your character!

Just hide it so your brothers/sister/grandma won't find it and steal your character!

ok i just fell off my chair readin that line :)

Don't ask us for it!

One option a lot of people may not be aware of is in the file el.ini - this has

#username="" and #password="". if you are the only person that uses the computer, and your grandma cannot work the PC *yet*, an option may be for you to store your username and password in there, or maybe part of your password, enough so you can remember the rest:

#username="PlayerName"

#password="passw"

The last part of the password need not be "ord", it could be anything just as long as the first part will serve as a trigger for you if you need it, and it will be displayed as ***** on the screen as normal.

Do not use these options on:

A cybercafe, your Grandma's new AMD64-4800 if she is 1337, a PC you share with a sibling, or one your hacker friend has installed the latest Windows XP service pack on :/

If you explicitly trust *everyone* that has access to your PC then go ahead, use #password="passw", and keep a backup of the file on a floppy/cdr/USB flash drive (in a 1024-bit encrypted file to which you know the password :P) just in case you ever need to reinstall Windows to get rid of the latest service pack.

The file on a standard Windows installation will be "%programfiles%\eternal lands\el.ini"