Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Items cooldown

The cooldown for items are almost done, and after a brief test they will be on the main server (a week or two).

Now, I know that a lot of you will bitch and bitch and then bitch again. But then again, people bitch about everything. If we make stuff more difficult, it's a reason to bitch. If it's too easy and a lot of items are flooding the market, that's again a reason to bitch. And since you guys bitch about everything, no matter how trivial, we kind of got used to it and don't care.

Now, let me explain what an item cooldown is:

First, it is ONLY for the items you USE. Let me repeat: The cooldowns are ONLY for the items you USE. Ok? Good!

How will it affect you:

1. Since the food will have a cooldown time, manufacture and harvesting will be, to some extent, impacted.

2. Healing and mana potions will also have a cooldown, being USEABLE items. Which means that you can no longer fight really high level monsters when you are a low level with 35 health potions in your inventory.

The cooldown for minor health potion its 5 seconds, for the big one its 11 seconds, and for the really big one (rare item) its 10 seconds.

3. Other skill increasing potions will have a cooldown as well.

4. Rings (including the rings of damage, dissengagement and teleport) will have cooldowns. So no more abusing diss or damage rings.

5. The teleport rings, being USABLE items... blah blah blah.

How the cooldowns will work:

There will be cooldown categories: Food, health, mana, teleport rings, damage rings, diss rings, and skill increasing pot rings.

When an item with a cooldown is used, there will be a delay for using ANY item in that category, equal with the cooldown of the item used.

When you log in, all your cooldown categories will have the delay of one of the items you have in your inventory (from the same category). The cooldown will be the cooldown of the last item in that category in your inventory.

After this will be implemented, we might tune some of the cooldowns, but there will be a 1 MONTH period where there will be NO BITCHING ABOUT IT! Not even polite suggestions! Nothing! Only: "Omfg that's so cool!" messages. Any criticism will be promptly deleted, and those who post multiple times about it will be suspended from the forums.

A month after they are implemented, your oppinion will be heard. It doesn't mean we will actually do something about it, but we will at least listen to what you have to say and decide whether or not to make additional changes.

Ok, questions?

P.S. Any questions that were already answered in this post will be deleted.

"Omfg that's so cool!"

The cooldown for minor health potion its 5 seconds, for the big one its 11 seconds, and for the really big one (rare item) its 10 seconds.

Is that a typo or did you make it 10 seconds for the *REALLY* big ones and 11 seconds for the big ones, coz the really big ones are rare?

Piper

No, is not a typo, it's a way to enocurage the use of more expensive and rare items.

freeone3000: It is done to make muling and multiplaying in combat more difficult.

since we won't be discussing it with admin for a month(which is fair enough, it'll take a while to burn through stocks and for demand to level out), I suggest those concerned players keep some records.

price and demand on items, how useful stuff is, if it really does impact on some actions (I suspect this will make the HE production a lot harder, but it's one of the fe things that sells very well), etc etc

after the month is up, we can put it together, see where it worked well, and where some fine-tuning would be handy

Ok, questions?

Yes...

There was some talk that experience points per mixed item might go up to compensate for not being able to mix as often/fast (due to food or tool cooldown delays). The end result is that you'd get the same experience per hour of work, but will have made less items (thus helping market prices). Is any of that being included in this change?

Basically, should people mix all their stuff BEFORE the update (since it will take longer with no increase in experience after), or should we save up for AFTER the update (because the 100 rings will be worth more experience even if they do take longer to mix)?

[And no bitchin' here. Just honest and constructive feedback after I've had some time to work with the new system.]

Wow that means prices will go back up and I will have money again yay! Thank you ent great and idea. By the way I haven't seen as much bitching as you thought there would be.

Umm, care to explain the concept of "tool cooldown delay"? I don't really get it.

Umm, well, it's what you're talking about (or what has been talked about in earlier threads on this topic)...

That is, if items (like food and tools) have a cooldown period during which you can't use it again, and if that cooldown period is longer than when you'll need to use it again, there will be a delay in mixing (making items).

For example:

Portland rings take 24 food to make, which means you have to eat (at least) one fruit per ring. Portland rings take around 10 seconds each to make. If (I don't think it was mentioned) food has a cooldown of 15 seconds (for example), then you'd eat a fruit, make a ring, and have to wait (cooldown delay) another 5 second before you eat and mix again.

The same type of example could be applied to things that require tools (ring molds, medallion molds, needles, etc). If the cooldown period on the tool is longer than the item you're making, you'll have to wait an additional time before you can start the next one.

Of course if the cooldown for food and tools is shorter than a few seconds, it won't matter. But we won't know that unless the times are posted, or until after the update.

So, long explination for a simple subject.

But my original question still stands: are the experience points given per item made going to be modified as part of the cooldown changes?

Or an alternate question (if you prefer): will the cooldown periods have any effect on how fast you can make things?

About how long will the food cooldown times be?

will the client know about the categories? or will you get a 'cooldown for item in slot X' for each and every item in said category? if you have a half dozen types of potions in your inv, this could be kinda heavy on network traffic

are there measures against people dropping/storing the item to get rid of the cooldown(like that thing on login, where when you get it into your inv the cooldown starts)?

The client won't know.

There will be no measures taken about those people, but if this becomes a big issue, we will take care of it serverside (like do the max cooldown, rather than the last one).

bkc56: Maybe my meory is very short, but I do not remmeber saying anything about any cooldown for tools. Last time I checked the tools were unusable, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me? Please explain how exactly you use the tools.

Omfg that's so cool!

(even tho i don't understand most of it :P

the potion cooldown effect SRs so i thnk it would effect magic too (runs to get more will from warith XP)

bkc56: Maybe my meory is very short, but I do not remmeber saying anything about any cooldown for tools. Last time I checked the tools were unusable, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me? Please explain how exactly you use the tools.

I did a search through past threads and couldn't find anything specific about tools, just some vague references by others (not you) about what might happen if tools were included in the cooldown system. but...

Let's forget about tools, it has totally side-tracked this thread from the main question. Let's pretend I never mentioned tools and talk about food instead. We do use food, and in fact my example above used food (not tools).

And now I'd like to quote a post you made back in September: Entropy on food cooldown.

So here is my solution (until the new manufacturing system comes up, which is months away).

High cooldown values for food. That means, it will take like minutes before being able to eat again. No food, no manufacturing, no harvesting.

The exp for harvesting and manufacturing will, however, be increased 2 or 3 times, so people will manufacture less but get the same exp.

Which is exactly what I was talking about with a cooldown delay and it slowing down the manufacturing process (again, ignoring my miss-statement about tool usage).

So I can modify my question to: is what you suggested above included in this cooldown implementation?

And Entropy, I appologize for my poor wording and communication!

Is ok. One of the reasons I made this thread was to clear some general rumor that there will be some sort of cooldown for manufacture. I have no idea why or how people came out with that.

As for the increased experience, it might be added later on, after we tune the exact values for food. We'll have to see what happens.

After the cooldowns are implemented, it would be nice if people will just post their observations (like what they do different, how they do it different, and why they do it different), but without ANY comments on it. You know, like an impartial reporter. And I know, the impartial reporter is a myth :P

Thumbs up!!!! This is brilliant. I certainly like the effect of healing potions etc, it brings real character development to the game!

Ent will the cooldown for minor healing,body rest and greater healing pots be the same as the mana pots? or do you have different numbrs in mind for them since... those pots are used faster and will probably get lots of ppl killed if the cooldown is also 11 seconds for example... this would also make a noobs life rather hard wont you think? and thnx for encoureging the rare items this way the prices will finally go back up so ppl can make some money again :P wont bitch this time :P I like the idea so far :P

Hyperion of EG

I think this will be a very interesting change, the one month period should tell if for the good or the bad. I like the idea that damage rings will not be as effective. Cool down for rings will change combat for sure, one question, will you be able to use two different rings back to back, say a dis ring and tele ring?

Hmmm maybe that power hungry perk was not so great after all

Cool down for rings will change combat for sure, one question, will you be able to use two different rings back to back, say a dis ring and tele ring?

How the cooldowns will work:

There will be cooldown categories: Food, health, mana, teleport rings, damage rings, diss rings, and skill increasing pot rings.

When an item with a cooldown is used, there will be a delay for using ANY item in that category, equal with the cooldown of the item used.

<snip>

P.S. Any questions that were already answered in this post will be deleted.

Not critism, just a suggestion before this gets implemented:

Newbies will not have read this thread and will probably not understand the system at all. Maybe give them until 12 OA or so before CoolDown starts?